06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
29/04/24 21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 01:23:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Long Swing Link/Short Swing Link HST Mk3 bogie differences  (Read 20496 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2015, 12:07:05 »

First balls up of the Easter weekend. The 0748 Plymouth to London Waterloo FGW (First Great Western) HST (High Speed Train) had a carriage in the consist with Long Swing Link bogies, which are not permitted to run over the 3rd rail network.

Beggars belief that such a basic error was made.

I was on the offending set and we have been terminated at Andover and transferred to a folliwing SWT (South West Trains) service. Fortunately not to busy, but still an inconvenience. I'm chancing my arm at Basingstoke by waiting for the next FGW service to Waterloo which is nominally set down only at Basingstoke.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 12:52:43 »

Oops!

The diversions via Banbury all appear to be working well so far.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 13:07:02 »

Grapevine tells me it may have been a clued up member of the public who saw the 'LSL(resolve)' label as we departed Westbury. I'm guessing it took a while for the message to get through to the train. Good job The TM(resolve) and driver were made aware before we'd got to Worting Junction where the third rail starts. Could have been fireworks!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 14:21:49 »

Grapevine tells me it may have been a clued up member of the public who saw the 'LSL(resolve)' label as we departed Westbury. I'm guessing it took a while for the message to get through to the train. Good job The TM(resolve) and driver were made aware before we'd got to Worting Junction where the third rail starts. Could have been fireworks!

Now bnm I'm not tryng to pick you up on your post but do I take it there is something different about the LSL bogies which cause them to foul with the 3rd rail ?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 14:56:45 »

There is indeed bb.

Less clearance between bogie frame bottom and 3rd rail head. Can cause arcing, may even foul the 3rd rail with too much lateral motion.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 14:58:42 »

There is indeed bb.

Less clearance between bogie frame bottom and 3rd rail head. Can cause arcing, may even foul the 3rd rail with too much lateral motion.

Many thanks
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 17:02:03 »

First balls up of the Easter weekend. The 0748 Plymouth to London Waterloo FGW (First Great Western) HST (High Speed Train) had a carriage in the consist with Long Swing Link bogies, which are not permitted to run over the 3rd rail network.

Beggars belief that such a basic error was made.

I was on the offending set and we have been terminated at Andover and transferred to a folliwing SWT (South West Trains) service. Fortunately not to busy, but still an inconvenience. I'm chancing my arm at Basingstoke by waiting for the next FGW service to Waterloo which is nominally set down only at Basingstoke.

Hope you got on OK BNM? ........Interview without coffee or Easter eggs for someone next week then!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 17:15:04 »

Got on okay. It was a jolly so didn't mind sliding back an hour to pick up the next Waterloo bound HST (High Speed Train) at Basingstoke.

Problems at Paddington trying to get a change of route excess fare for my return west. That's for another topic later. Don't worry I wasn't held captive for two hours this time. Smiley

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 17:38:20 »

Can't say I'm surprised a carriage slipped through the net with all the chopping and changing of carriages over recent months connected with the 1st to Std conversions. Was only thinking on my way up to Waterloo on the 5.50 ex Plymouth that careful checking of each set heading to Waterloo would needed to have been done.

Apart from this service you were on being canned BNM, and the return from Waterloo, all looks to have gone fairly smoothly though IC13 11.00 pad-tau was held at Swindon for some reason leaving 36 minutes late.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 23:43:06 »

I've been out snapping pictures of bogies as I couldn't find any decent images online that clearly show the differences between Long and Short Swing Links.

The things I do for this forum!  Tongue

Here's a comparison montage showing the major difference between the two types of Mk3 bogie. I've highlighted the areas on the Long Swing Link bogies that can cause problems if ran on the third rail network.

Short Swing Link top. Long Swing Link bottom.

Essentially, it's a different type of fixing of the swing links to the lower frame (called the spring plank) of the air spring.

Here's a technical drawing of the Mk3 (BT10) bogie which shows the position of the swing links (13):

That image taken from a 1977 publicity booklet focusing on the technical details of the High Speed Train. From the Railway Archive. http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docsummary.php?docID=537
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 00:12:11 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 00:25:50 »

I've been out snapping pictures of bogies ...

I don't think that was what bobm meant, when he suggested that you ought to 'get out a bit more' ...  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 06:42:49 »

Is there an advantage to having LSL(resolve) bogies?  I assume there is or all the sets would have been converted to SSLs (Short Swing Link bogies (125)).
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 14:05:19 »

A chap writing in uk.railway a few years back had this detailed explanation:

...The swing link is the 'pendulum' which supports the transverse bolster of the coach's secondary suspension from the bogie frame. In general there are four links, two on each side although some French designs used only two. On the BT10 bogie under the HST (High Speed Train) coaches the airbags at each end of the bolster support a transverse 'spring plank' into which the pivot pin of the coach is inserted. The spring plank is located by radius arms in the case of the BT10 to the bolster so there is no relative motion between the two except vertically and in roll. The swing links then permit the coach body to move sideways with respect to the bogie frame under control of the horizontal damper. The longer the swing links the lower the natural frequency of the 'pendulum'.
This design was adopted as at the time there was no experience of using air bags as swing links. Sometime later the bogie under the Class 313 electric units used airbags which combined the vertical spring and horizontal flexibility functions and this has since become standard.
In the initial HST design the swing links were as long as possible and the ends hung below the bolster. At each end of the swing links are longitudinal 'knife edges' to permit the link to swing with low friction on the bogie frame and bolster and which also transfer the body weight from the bolster (at the lower end of the link) to the bogie frame at the top of the link. To permit the suspension to be set up accurately these 'knife edges' could be adjusted by large nuts and lock nuts on screw threads cut into the ends of the link. The protruding threaded end at the bottom of the link could get quite close to the third rail in Southern territory under critical conditions of worn tyres, body roll and third rail positional tolerances. As a result to permit HSTs to operate on the Southern the swing link was modified to get the lower end away from the third rail by raising the lower knife edge and omitting (or shortening) the lower threaded portion. Although this allowed HSTs to run in third rail areas it meant that the coaches lost the silky lateral motion they had as new as the natural lateral resonance frequency was raised.

Archived here:  http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Uk/uk.railway/2009-06/msg00365.html

What has also confused matters is that there are explanations online that misleadingly concentrate on the safety straps - the 'wire rope assemblies' shown in bnm's pictures on both the SSL (Short Swing Link bogies (125)) and LSL(resolve) bogies.  Some LSL bogies have a steel 'stirrup' rather than a wire rope - this can be seen in the line drawing above, and from what I've seen this is also quite near the third rail.   Indeed one online resource reads as though the wire rope and steel stirrup are the swing links, and they are the defining features of the two types - although it is now obvious that wire ropes are fitted to both SSL and LSL types, although I believe that the 'stirrups' are only present on some LSL bogies.

The explanation above suggests that original LSL bogies have a better ride, though I wonder if it is noticeable to anyone other than an engineer.  I expect BR (British Rail(ways))'s decision to only modify a certain proportion of the HST sets was financially driven.

Paul
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 18:46:42 »

The only place I've seen a BT10 with a stirrup is on a Greater Anglia loco hauled Mk3.

Is it possible that many LSL(resolve) bogies have been retro-fitted with the wire strap in place of the stirrup?

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 19:02:14 »

Further confusion is caused by that quoted text, which says
On the BT10 bogie under the HST (High Speed Train) coaches the airbags at each end of the bolster support a transverse 'spring plank' into which the pivot pin of the coach is inserted.

The diagram (and other sources) have the swing links supporting the spring plank, on which rest the springs, and then the bolster, which bears the pivot.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: