Delayed
08:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
09:00 Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 10:32:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[109] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[63] Signage - not making it easy ...
[13] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: More uncollected fares  (Read 1248 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 10, 2015, 10:44:37 »

Good news ... 10:04 at Melksham today toward Swindon.   29 on + 7 - 3 = 36/10

Bad news - the conductor did not have a working ticket machine, so couldn't collect fares / sell tickets.  Anyone for Chippenham was "in luck" again, ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) tickets stats will be wrong, etc.    From the report I had, sounds like the lack of working ticket machine may be for the whole shift too - 3 round trips.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 10:52:44 »

Were there no ATEs at Chippenham either, manning the exits?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 11:04:09 »

Were there no ATEs at Chippenham either, manning the exits?

Don't know - but typically there's no ticket check on leaving trains at Chippenham.   In the morning peak there's often a couple of chaps / chapesses with Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) helping the booking office, but when the commuter peak is over, it's an open station.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TeaStew

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 12:57:10 »

Helping being the operative word there - on the number of occasions where I have been unable to buy a ticket on the train from MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains) I have sometimes walked past said chap at the foot of the stairs without comment to queue inside for the "proper" ticket facilities. Usually though I smile and nod in their direction.

Sometimes people stop there and have tickets checked but I wonder whether that is because they feel that is what should be happening rather than because checks are actively taking place.

As with a lot of things, this probably depends a great deal on the member of staff.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 21:48:05 »

I have noticed in recent times my ticket is asked for less and less on the TransWilts.  Whether that is because it is busier and therefore more work involved for the conductor I don't know - but it is frustrating.

I can think of four trips in the last couple of months when there have been no checks - and one was all the way to Salisbury.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 22:20:07 »

On Wednesday I cheerily mentioned to the guard (or customer stakeholder assistance operative, or whatever it is they're called this week) that it would be a good thing once the new installed ticket machine at Melksham was up and running, only to receive the lugubrious response "I doubt it, it'll probably be wrecked by vandals inside a week"

I didn't see much point in voicing the opinion that if perhaps they hadn't installed a machine which still had slots for coins and notes despite only being intended to take card payments then the problem probably wouldn't have arisen in the first place.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 23:23:34 »

Thank you, Phil - I gave up banging my head against a brick wall over that issue at Nailsea & Backwell station, some time ago.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 08:18:50 »

Picking up on this thread of a while back ... TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) is up and running and has proven a darned sight more reliable than the information point.   It's taking sufficient of the business (standard tickets on credit / debit card) to give the conductor more time to get through the train and sell all the cash and special fares. A few issues as with other TVMs of the cheapest fare for the journey often not being offered (London especially) and screen visibility, but otherwise "so far, so good".

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: