Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:03:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I get an Oyster Card?  (Read 7139 times)
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2015, 21:17:37 »

Apologies for being off-topic, but you guys are soooo knowledgeable about all things railway!
Both Mrs Pb and I have got Senior Railcards on reaching the golden age.  As Devon residents we rarely visit London (I^m ignoring my business travel pre-retirement here), but are going to be there later this week, and then again in May, for two-day visits.  I now know that Senior Railcards entitle to discounted off-peak travel on tfl, but only when registered with oyster.
I had previously not got Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services), as I didn^t see that tying up funds for rare visits was good cash management BUT now there^s a third off to be had, maybe time for a rethink.
Our London travel is likely to be limited to zone 1 and 2, and off-peak.  I have a senior bus-pass so can get free bus travel (but not Mrs Pb ^ yet).
Plus does anyone have experience of buying oyster at Paddington, on-spec.
Your valuable thoughts please. 
Many thanks.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 22:32:23 »

I don't know about getting your oyster card at paddington but TFL (Transport for London) has a very good website an can send cards to you through the post that's how I got mine I'm only in London three or four times a year but they do save a lot of time and hassle so I think oysters are well worth having.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 22:39:35 »

If your wife is planning to use the buses she will need an Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card or contactless bank card as they no longer take cash.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 10:13:48 »

There are TfL» (Transport for London - about) machines which will vend Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) cards (^5 deposit, then your choice of multiples of ^5 PAYG (Pay as you go) credit).

However, as you need to register the Senior railcard entitlement on each card (the entitlement ends automatically when the railcard expires) it may be easier to go to a TfL ticket window at Paddington and do it all there (purchase cards and register).

FYI (for your information) here's the current full fat adult fares:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/tube-dlr-lo-adult-fares.pdf
And the semi-skimmed railcard version:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/tube-dlr-lo-railcard-fares.pdf
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 10:42:30 »

Yes, that is definitely recommended.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 11:23:44 »

Also worth noting that you can refund any unused PAYG (Pay as you go) credit at a ticket office, as well (I think) as the card deposit fee on return of the card. You will also get the benefits of daily fare capping if you plan to make more than a couple of journeys and can make seamless journeys onto the NR» (Network Rail - home page) network around London (be aware of the Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card boundaries though!).

If you register the card online, any funds held on the card are protected in the event of the card being lost or stolen and you'd be able to top-up online before your next trip, which could make your arrival process a little simpler.
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 12:22:26 »

Your collective advice is gratefully received and will be acted upon.  I will try & remember to supply feedback when I return home.

(Fourbee... how did you know I'd be a green top semi-skimmed sort of chap? Grin)
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 13:16:16 »

(Fourbee... how did you know I'd be a green top semi-skimmed sort of chap? Grin)

It's hard to find the silver and red striped foil variety these days Wink
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 11:05:12 »

I promised feedback^
PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) tfl ticket queue was long so we skipped that (I had bought the travelcard add-on when buying the PLY» (Plymouth - next trains)-PAD tickets).  On our travels around I spotted a much shorter Q at another underground station so joined that.
Experience very good^ Chap knew exactly what to do and all set up without hassle including the SNR R/C discount. Nervously approached the barrier the following morning, but it blithely ignored my hesitant approach and whizzed open at the touch of the card!!
Went on-line to set up the on-line account without trouble, with both cards on one account (BUT you seemingly cannot share credit balance, which seems a deficiency).  The journey details are there, and with the SNR discount, so that works.
Thanks all for advice.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 12:38:18 »

I'm glad everything worked out OK Smiley

This website is an interesting read about Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services):
www.oyster-rail.org.uk
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 14:24:29 by Fourbee » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 14:15:23 »

A clip from 'Shaun of the Dead'Huh

Wrong link there I think.  Grin

(Warning. Until Fourbee provides the right link I should warn of repeated expletives in the erroneous clip)

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 14:25:01 »

Woops! Thanks BNM for pointing that out; I've changed the link to the correct one.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 15:26:04 »

with both cards on one account (BUT you seemingly cannot share credit balance, which seems a deficiency)
Unfortunately, the Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) system is fairly old (for smartcard technologies anyway) and the balance is actually stored on the card (rather than some computer system)* so sharing balances between cards is technically impossible.

If you do not want to top-up ^5 multiples each time, then use a National Rail ticket machine (e.g. in the mainline station at Paddington) to top-up.  These will let you add any amount, including odd pence.  As I no longer live in London, I usually just add on the exact fare I need for the journeys I plan to make that day.

* = But TfL» (Transport for London - about) regularly (i.e. at least once every 24hrs, but usually very soon after touching in/out of the system) check the balance on their system reflects the balance on the card, to prevent tampering etc.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: