06:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
06:50 London Paddington to Evesham
07:12 Plymouth to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 07:15:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[119] You see all sorts on the bus.
[56] Where have I been?
[53] "We can’t get from A to B in Britain and it might just be th...
[49] "Mayflower"
[41] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[25] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 1B46 14 45 Paddington to Swansea 13/4  (Read 14679 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« on: April 13, 2015, 20:52:13 »

Hearing it failed at Burnham tonight due to an issue with rear power car.

Read it left the rear coach and rear power car behind, and continued very late as a 1+7, terminating at Bristol Parkway 233 late.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 20:59:43 »

My fault for speed-reading the previous post, obviously, but I found myself wondering for a moment what the heck it was doing at Highbridge.  Embarrassed Tongue Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 21:01:51 »

My fault for speed-reading the previous post, obviously, but I found myself wondering for a moment what the heck it was doing at Highbridge.  Embarrassed Tongue Roll Eyes

I get confused every time, forgetting about the Burnham near London, only remembering Burnham-on-SeaMud  Roll Eyes

jane s

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 23:03:56 »

Yes and it caused chaos for hours - the stoppers (including the one I was on) had to run non-stop (not "fast" BTW (by the way), it was a crawl!) between Slough & Reading because the HST (High Speed Train)'s had to be switched on to the relief lines to get around it.

Saw it there as we passed with the rear unit detached - then a few minutes later the truncated front section passed us going towards Reading. Don't know what they did with the back bit!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 23:24:27 »

The back bit was recovered by a class 57. One of the sleeper locos I assume,

Godfrey Tables

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 09:59:33 »

From what I understand the breaks of the rear power car had locked on due to a ruptured break pipe, and could not be released. In the end they moved the powercar using a skate. I didn't know what a skate was, but apparently its a piece of apparatus with its own set of wheels that can lift a failed vehicle slightly off the tracks so it can be towed away, albeit at a reduced speed of 35mph it nonetheless clears the obstruction.
Western Enterprise

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 10:18:11 »

The back bit was recovered by a class 57. One of the sleeper locos I assume,

I saw Tintagel Castle on the relief at about 18.00, about W.Drayton way, possibly acting as Thunderbird 5011 ?  Grin
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 12:11:56 »

Me too!
jane s

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 12:44:58 »

Still not clear why it took 3 hours to separate the rear power car form the rest of the train - would have thought that decision could have been made a lot sooner and the main front section delayed a lot less....!

a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 17:32:48 »

Still not clear why it took 3 hours to separate the rear power car form the rest of the train - would have thought that decision could have been made a lot sooner and the main front section delayed a lot less....!

Leaving vehicles on a main running line without a driver is not normally permitted by Network Rail.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 17:48:36 »

I am surprised a 1+7 was allowed to run as far as Bristol Parkway.  I'd have thought there might be rules preventing it through the tunnels on the Badminton line while in passenger service.

Given the train could only go forward it could not terminate at Reading and then go to Old Oak Common, but at Swindon and then ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) to St Philips Marsh?

Must have been a reason for why they did it the way they did, just looks strange on the face of it.

Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 18:11:38 »

I am surprised a 1+7 was allowed to run as far as Bristol Parkway.  I'd have thought there might be rules preventing it through the tunnels on the Badminton line while in passenger service.

Given the train could only go forward it could not terminate at Reading and then go to Old Oak Common, but at Swindon and then ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) to St Philips Marsh?

Must have been a reason for why they did it the way they did, just looks strange on the face of it.

If it had terminated at Swindon it'd still of had to go through to Bristol Parkway to get to SPM (St Philip's Marsh (Bristol depot)) (So it could go straight in), so presume just made sense just to run it right through to there.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 19:16:52 »

Not really familiar with that route.  The only restrictions I'm aware of is Ledbury and Colwall tunnel on the Cotswold line where there's not enough clearance in the tunnel to open a slam door. 

With a rear power car detached you're just limited to a maximum of 100mph.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 10:50:53 »

Not really familiar with that route.  The only restrictions I'm aware of is Ledbury and Colwall tunnel on the Cotswold line where there's not enough clearance in the tunnel to open a slam door. 
What are the restrictions in these tunnels?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 23:36:50 »

What are the restrictions in these tunnels?

I think a-driver's post covered it. A HST (High Speed Train) set running on one power car wouldn't be allowed through the Ledbury or Colwall tunnels. Should there be an engine failure (or worse) you'd want to have the flexibility to get a set out of those tunnels in an emergency. If only one power car is working that wouldn't be possible.

I believe, but am open to correction, that similar emergency procedures are in place for the Severn Tunnel. A HST set, running in passenger service on one power car only, wouldn't be permitted to enter the Severn Tunnel.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: