10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:24 Taunton to London Paddington
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 09:14:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Taplow Station Footbridge Closed over Main Lines  (Read 72503 times)
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: April 21, 2015, 15:50:57 »

Just popped up to Taplow to see how work on the footbridge was going. Got to South carpark to find entrance barred. Chatting to Balfour Beatty guy he said they'd had to close over the mains as it was considered unsafe.

He said they hoped to strenthen it and not have to demolish it.

Down Trains are still stopping on Platfrom 3 but no exit to South side. Bridge OK over Reliefs.

He said there was a of shuttle bus to bring pasenger  round from the North side. Although I didn't see one. The road bride East of the station is a bit hairy for pedestrians.

Had a quick look at FGW (First Great Western) website but nothing obvious yet.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 17:42:42 »

Yes I got there about 0645 this morning to find same and had to trot around to the other side of the station sharpish! One of the NR» (Network Rail - home page) guys was telling some kids a tale about the bridge being hit by a train overnight, they'd rebuilt it but needed it checked before reopening!  Grin

Shuttle bus seems a little OTT (Open Train Times website), it's all of a 2 minute walk!

Really hope they don't demolish it, it's a lovely old bridge at one of the loveliest old stations.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 11:34:54 »

.........found out this morning that it was the jib of a crane which hit the bridge, someone being very careless, if it results in a 130 yr old bridge having to be demolished, someone needs a firm kick in the arse.
Western Enterprise

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 15:40:04 »

I'd got to know that bridge very well a long time ago, with the 1888 and gwr logo and all that; a lot of gricing done there.
It will be a great shame if its condemned.
I presume it has enough clearance for the electrics, given it was around in broad gauge times...?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 17:59:27 »

Interesting point........a cynic might suggest that it was clobbered accidentally on purpose as demolishing it as "unsafe" would be cheaper than adapting it to accommodate wires?

Any idea if it's listed?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 19:04:04 »

Interesting point........a cynic might suggest that it was clobbered accidentally on purpose as demolishing it as "unsafe" would be cheaper than adapting it to accommodate wires?

Any idea if it's listed?

It would not be hit on purpose, the contractors insurances company would have a fit the cost of the damage to the crane and then the cost of remedial or recovery of the bridge also English Heritage might have a word or four to say about it.

Also projects in NR» (Network Rail - home page) just don't work that way.

I notice in an earlier post by eightf48544 that Balfour Beatty were mentioned well they are the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") contractor ......... also  Lips sealed  Undecided Huh(and now that was a personal comment and not a professional one)

I presume it has enough clearance for the electrics, given it was around in broad gauge times...?

Not necessarily broad gauge trains were wide and not much higher than modern trains also the track is higher due to the amount of ballast used for CWR (Continuously Welded Rail) on concrete sleepers

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 08:05:29 »

AIUI (as I understand it), as Electric train said the bridge would be high enough if the main lines were lowered by removing a foot or more of ballast. Therefore, it was intended the bridge would remain even when we got our fully accesible bridge between the relief line platforms 3 &4 at the East end.

The work they were doing of which the first part was strenthening the timbers of the stairs to which end the side panels covering the supports were removed. This phase seems to be finished as the panels are back on and newly painted. The other work on the bridge was to put glass/plastic transparent screens along it's length to stop over enthusiastic youngsters poking the O/H.

Lowering  the main lines would also have the effect of potentialy bringing the main lines back into use as there wouldn't be a foot high step up into the train.

The bridge was fully refurbished in 2006 just prior to the World Rowing Championships at Dorney. It was originally intended Taplow would be the railhead for the Olympicsi In the end the South Carpark was closed and used by police and other security staff.

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 14:05:32 »

Haven't managed to get to the station has it reopened yet?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 17:23:53 »

Nope still closed with tatty bits of paper attached in various places advising people.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 18:20:52 »

Still closed today!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 18:30:38 »

I wouldn't hold your breath!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 10:55:16 »

Building a Greater West by hitting 130 year old bridges with our cranes!!!  Roll Eyes
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 17:49:38 »

Looked like some sort of inspection going on today, much frowning and scratching of chins by the looks of it! Am trying to find out from NR» (Network Rail - home page) what the latest us so will update as soon as I hear anything.

As it is we still have "bustitution" for the 1 minute journey from one station entrance to the other - must be the shortest road replacement service in operation!!!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 09:17:25 »

.....had a response from NR» (Network Rail - home page) this morning re: when is the footbridge going to be fixed........................they've sent me a form asking me to fill it in with the details......... Roll Eyes
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 18:18:44 »

Finally had a response from Network Rail............referring me to Crossrail  Angry
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: