Train Graphic
Great Western Passengers' Forum Great Western Coffee Shop - [home] and [about]
Read about the forum [here]. Register and contribute [here] - it's free.
Random Image
Train Running @GWR Twitter Acronyms/Abbreviations Station Comparator Rail News GWR co. site Site Style 1 2 3 4 Chat on off
August 18, 2018, 03:17:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most liked recent subjects
[159] Class 802s
[100] Princes Risborough to Chinnor
[57] GWR Performance Figures
[51] HSTs - main line operational into the future
[41] Imber bus
[20] Two other split ticket examples in you have network card
News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Taplow Station Footbridge Closed over Main Lines  (Read 42904 times)
lordgoata

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2018, 03:35:27 pm »

NR won't want to pay for it, they need to save all their money to replace the OHLE like they promised in Goring Gap!  Roll Eyes Grin
paul7755

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2018, 04:38:16 pm »

NR won't want to pay for it, they need to save all their money to replace the OHLE like they promised in Goring Gap!  Roll Eyes Grin

What did they actually promise on that, I can't remember.   A review, maybe?

Paul
lordgoata

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2018, 09:28:59 am »

What did they actually promise on that, I can't remember.   A review, maybe?

No idea to be honest, it was obviously never going to happen so I didn't really pay much attention to it. I think there were some design proposals, some postponed/cancelled meetings, but not sure what happened since then.

Edit: And sorry TG, didn't mean to drag it off topic!
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2018, 10:36:57 am »

Latest news on Goring is here: http://www.savegoringgap.org.uk/news.html

To view my cab run over the new Reading Viaduct as well as a relief line cab ride at Reading just after Platforms 12-15 opened and my 'before and after' video comparison of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/1
ChrisB

View Profile Email
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2018, 10:45:25 am »

That's 5 months old....
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2018, 01:02:25 pm »

That's 5 months old....

It's still the latest news...  Wink

To view my cab run over the new Reading Viaduct as well as a relief line cab ride at Reading just after Platforms 12-15 opened and my 'before and after' video comparison of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/1
paul7755

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2018, 08:29:39 pm »

Latest news on Goring is here: http://www.savegoringgap.org.uk/news.html
Looking at their webpage banner, how come all those houses were allowed in an AONB?

Paul
TaplowGreen

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2018, 11:03:08 am »

FYI I have asked NR for another update on the footbridge situation and will share the reply if/when I get it.
TaplowGreen

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2018, 03:19:50 pm »

Response received.............so after 3 years, it's finally confirmed. What stood for over 125 years, NR clumsiness destroyed in an instant and will not be replacing.

"...........As you are aware in 2015 Taplow station footbridge sustained damage when it was hit by a rail construction vehicle undertaking electrification work. The damaged bridge spans were subsequently removed in July 2017 to be assessed.

Unfortunately, following this process it has been decided that we will not be reinstating the footbridge at Taplow station. I realise this may be disappointing for local residents and station users and Id like to reassure you that the decision has not been taken likely.

As a long-planned part of the Crossrail programme, Transport for London (TfL) will shortly begin building a new passenger footbridge with two new lifts providing step-free access to platforms 2/3 and platform 4 which will be served by the Elizabeth line from December 2019.

We have now secured funding to extend the new footbridge to provide access to platform 1 and the car park on the southern side of the station via a staircase. The work will also create space for an additional lift to be installed in the future.

As a public sector organisation, we (Network Rail), have a duty to justify the money that we spend. Extending the new footbridge clearly demonstrated better value for money for the public purse, not hint terms of the initial cost of the work and the ongoing maintenance costs.

In the coming weeks, preparatory works to remove the remaining footbridge staircases will begin. Local residents and passengers will receive more information about the work from TfL............"

SandTEngineer

In a Linemans Hut in the far Southwest

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2018, 05:31:47 pm »

I spilt my coffee when I read this bit.....
As a public sector organisation, we (Network Rail), have a duty to justify the money that we spend. Extending the new footbridge clearly demonstrated better value for money for the public purse, not hint terms of the initial cost of the work and the ongoing maintenance costs.

So when they weren't a 'public sector' organisation money didn't matter then..... Roll Eyes

Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
[Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3]
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: