29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 04:33:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Day Returns limited to residents of the town from where they're booked?  (Read 13261 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 28, 2008, 21:25:52 »

I thought I knew the answer to this one, but I understand that customers looking to buy Standard Day Returns from Melksham to Bristol Temple Meads are being asked questions like ...

Do you live in Melksham? and Can you prove you live in Melksham?

... and are being told I should only sell these tickets to Melksham residents

What are the restrictions on the sale of these tickets?  I've had no problem in buying tickets from Melksham to Swindon at Chippenham, and from Melksham to Weymouth at Temple Meads - in neither case was any residential restriction pointed out, as appears to be the case on travel to Bristol booked at Bradford-on-Avon.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 21:27:56 »

What's the catch? Is it cheaper from Melksham than Chippenham or Trowbridge?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 21:40:33 »

What's the catch? Is it cheaper from Melksham than Chippenham or Trowbridge?

Chippenham to Bristol 8.60
Melksham to Bristol 9.00
Bradford-on-Avon to Bristol 10.70
Trowbridge to Bristol 11.30

But what are the restrictions?  I thought that Standard day returns were open to all comers, and that they could be used for shorter journeys provided they're on the authorised route(s).

Certainly I've caught a train in Melksham in the morning but not been able to get back there of an evening, or booked an "ex-Melksham" ticket elsewhere in the morning, but been able to travel back all the way home in the evening.   Never been a problem in the past!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 21:56:49 »

Aha, I see!  Presumably everyone who buys a ticket from Melksham gets included in the national statistics for journeys to that station. This will mean a misleading count for the station. That could be good - "proves" the service is used, even though cut back, and used to justify further trains. Or it could be bad as it will be used to "prove" that the cuts weren't that bad, since people are still "using" the line.

moonraker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 23:12:34 »

http://nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/misc/NRCOC.pdf

link to national rail conditions of carriage, as I read section C You should NOT have to prove residency.

Feel Free, nay obligated to quote NRCOC at anyone who disputes this if you read it and concur Wink
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 04:50:20 »

Three points on what you have raised:

1. Moonraker, THANK YOU, I thought I we were into a mad 1984 (George Orwell) world of double speak where standard open tickets were no longer open.

2. Ticket sales from Melksham climbed from 3000 to 27000 in 5 years.  Just less that 40% of those tickets (IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly)) were on the "suspect" Bristol journey, Melksham to Bristol is one of the more popular journeys travelled.  So an estimate of ticket sales for journeys actually made is still 20000 (up from 3000 - or should THAT Figure have been lower too?) even if two thirds of the Bristol Journeys were rogues.    The 35% compund growth rate you'll see me quote for Melksham actually takes care of this booking anomoly, which is well know; I have seen figures that break down ticket sales by destination, and also other sources of passenger numbers that are not dependent on ticket sales measurements.   In all cases, growth well exceeds 10% per annum for the period during which the service enjoyed a service of 5 round trips a day, and that's in contrast to the specification basis of less that 1%.

3. If the 120000 journeys made per year on the TransWilts line through Melksham (leavers, joiners and through passengers) each had a fare increase of 2.50, it would raise an extra 300000 pounds per annum which is exactly the amount of money that (I am told) is needed to make a single train shuttling up and down all day between the 06:18 departure from Swindon and the 20:20 arrival back there ... financially viable

smokey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 19:44:38 »

I thought I knew the answer to this one, but I understand that customers looking to buy Standard Day Returns from Melksham to Bristol Temple Meads are being asked questions like ...

Do you live in Melksham? and Can you prove you live in Melksham?

... and are being told I should only sell these tickets to Melksham residents

What are the restrictions on the sale of these tickets?  I've had no problem in buying tickets from Melksham to Swindon at Chippenham, and from Melksham to Weymouth at Temple Meads - in neither case was any residential restriction pointed out, as appears to be the case on travel to Bristol booked at Bradford-on-Avon.

I've always understood that when a customer requests tickets for journeys the Booking office/ travel agent HAVE TO issue the tickets requested so if you want to buy a Day Return from Wick to Thurso at Swindon YOU CAN, even if it's not possible to make the journey.

More the point if only local residents can buy tickets at stations it would TOTALLY **** UP all the motorists parking at Bristol Parkway.

Not much fun for Holiday Makers wanting a day out on a Devon or Cornish Branch line, somebody pulling wool?.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 20:34:52 »

They have no right to question your choice of ticket!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 21:43:31 »

I've always understood that when a customer requests tickets for journeys the Booking office/ travel agent HAVE TO issue the tickets requested ....

Not much fun for Holiday Makers wanting a day out on a Devon or Cornish Branch line, somebody pulling wool?.

Yes ... I (used to) understand that but since I've taken it upon myself to learn into these things I've come across all sorts of strange quirks and rule and specials which, frankly, throw the ticketing an pricing into disrepute.   I think that Cornish residents can get a special deal whereby they can travel by train cheaper than non-residents and - in contrast - residents of Wiltshire can't buy something called a "Britrail pass" that would provide them with a good deal on a UK (United Kingdom) touring holiday, but residents of Witchita can.

But thanks, everyone, for the clarification on the specific case. Hopefully the people who've told me about this - who happened to Melksham residents, but had to use other stations because there was no suitably timed train - will now be able to point out section C to the booking office and not feel intimidated.

TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 21:57:55 »

Quote from: grahame
I think that Cornish residents can get a special deal whereby they can travel by train cheaper than non-residents

Cornwall and Devon, actually (and the Highlands of Scotland, bits of Wales East Anglia, Cumbria, North Yorkshire, etc...)

and - in contrast - residents of Wiltshire can't buy something called a "Britrail pass" that would provide them with a good deal on a UK (United Kingdom) touring holiday, but residents of Witchita can.

That's not really a 'contrast' though, since Cornwallians and Devonians can't get Britrail passes either.

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 22:02:27 »

No-one who resides in the UK (United Kingdom) can get a BritRail (although the rules are different for dual citizenship IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly))...

Our equivalent is the All Line Rover.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 04:44:13 »

I think it was getting late. The comment that I was making is that there are some tickets for which certain residency is required.  The first quoted case is one where the lower priced ticket is available only to the people who reside in the area, and the contrast in the second is that it's only available to people who live outside the area.

Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 07:37:35 »

No-one who resides in the UK (United Kingdom) can get a BritRail (although the rules are different for dual citizenship IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly))...

Our equivalent is the All Line Rover.

For about 80 times the price!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
devonian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 12:09:38 »

I think that Cornish residents can get a special deal whereby they can travel by train cheaper than non-residents

Cornwall and Devon, actually (and the Highlands of Scotland, bits of Wales East Anglia, Cumbria, North Yorkshire, etc...)

and - in contrast - residents of Wiltshire can't buy something called a "Britrail pass" that would provide them with a good deal on a UK (United Kingdom) touring holiday, but residents of Witchita can.

That's not really a 'contrast' though, since Cornwallians and Devonians can't get Britrail passes either.

Devon and Cornwall Railcard only available to residents of Devon, Cornwall, Plymouth and Isles of Scilly. Cost - ^10/year and residency must be proved. Best ^10 I ever spent - makes train travel dirt cheap in Devon as an accompanying adult also gets 1/3 off and kids go for ^1 (up to four kids)
Ptolemy

ptolemyphil@hotmail.com ptolemyphil
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 12:40:41 »

My wife and I (residents of Wiltshire) have often made use of the Freedom of Devon and Cornwall rail passes, which although not quite the same thing and not quite as cheap as the residents permits, are still a bargain if you travel around a fair bit on holiday. The basic one costs ^40 I think.

"The Freedom of Devon & Cornwall Rover provides unlimited use of all National Rail services on the map in the validity section. It is available in both 3 in 7 day and 8 in 15 day versions"

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/promotions/2e3b78700a040004011c93f7fece3a1d.html
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: