19:47 Bristol Temple Meads to Frome
Delayed
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 19:39:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[125] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[119] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[67] Where have I been?
[66] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] Death of another bus station?
[49] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: help!!!!  (Read 7857 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« on: April 22, 2015, 20:48:05 »

anybody know a relevant contact at this time of night to get myself and 10 other cars let out of long rock car park

Level crossing been down for about 30 mins. I want to go home now!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 21:00:14 »

If I remember rightly it is a Cornwall Council car park - their number is 0300 1234 222 option 1.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 21:57:14 »

I resorted to tweeting FGW (First Great Western) and they contacted network rail. It was down for about 40 minutes in the end.

Cornwall Council is no use for a level crossing stuck down but thanks for the suggestion. The only access is via level crossing.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 22:07:05 »

Glad you got out ok but for the record councils do tend to have numbers for Network Rail as part of their emergency planning.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 22:28:37 »

Network Rail have a 24 hour helpline for such incidences. Sorry I was unable to post sooner.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/1346.aspx

03457 11 41 41

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 22:31:30 »

Network Rail have a 24 hour helpline for such incidences. Sorry I was unable to post sooner.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/1346.aspx

03457 11 41 41

If only such numbers were available at the level crossing. I couldn't see any contact details visible but maybe I didn't look hard enough

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 08:13:23 »

Depending on the type of crossing don't auto crossing have telephones to contact the signalman?

This was instituted after the Hixon disaster. Agreed it's mainly for drivers of exceptional loads that may ground on the crossing but I'm sure it's use would be acceptable if the crossing stays down.
DavidBrown

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 09:00:21 »

Google Street View

Indeed there are no phones or signs with phone numbers on them. Plus the CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) is at such an angle that anyone stuck in the car park can't be seen.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 11:00:29 »

What type of crossing is it? If it's got CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) then it must be monitored in the local signal box.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 20:00:10 »

What type of crossing is it? If it's got CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) then it must be monitored in the local signal box.
It has CCTV but it doesn't aim at the queuing traffic.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 09:17:06 »

It has CCTV but it doesn't aim at the queuing traffic.
Its a Manned Controlled Barrier supervised by Closed Circuit Television 'MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker) (CCTV)' level crossing supervised by Penzance signalbox.  The CCTV is adjusted to show between the Stop Lines only but usually the first vehicles each side can normally be seen.  I would guess that the crossing had failed down and that they had to wait for the local MOM (Mobile Operations Manager) based at Par to arrive and put the crossing into local control.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 16:51:19 »

A man in high vis turned up and we were on our way. It wasn't failed down for long enough for him to have come all they way from Par though, I don't think anyway.

It came down just after 2010 and was down until 2055 roughly.
Thinking about it, the barrier came down too early for the train that passed just after 2020 I think, It was down for about 10 minutes before that train came, as I rushed with my camera along to get a shot of the passing train.

DavidBrown

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 17:49:32 »

Longrock does have an unusually long down time at the best of times - I've timed it at 7 minutes the times I've been down there. I assume that's because of the signalling infrastructure there?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 18:43:36 »

Longrock does have an unusually long down time at the best of times - I've timed it at 7 minutes the times I've been down there. I assume that's because of the signalling infrastructure there?

Correct.  The Down Distant signal is located halfway back to St.Erth and the barriers are usually lowered when the train passes St.Erth Down Advance Starting signal to ensure it encounters a 'green aspect' at the distant.  In the Up direction the barriers are lowered just before the train is timed to leave the Platform at Penzance Station.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 18:45:27 »

A man in high vis turned up and we were on our way. It wasn't failed down for long enough for him to have come all they way from Par though, I don't think anyway.

The MOM (Mobile Operations Manager) might have been 'out and about' already or alternatively the man you saw was a Pway Level Crossing Attendant who lived locally.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: