11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:57 Exmouth to Paignton
13:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
Delayed
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 12:03 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 14:20:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[95] "Mayflower"
[74] You see all sorts on the bus.
[52] Where have I been?
[46] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[44] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Glastonbury Festival founder Michael Eavis receives locomotive honour - BBC News  (Read 5666 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2015, 19:48:20 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

The locomotive was unveiled by Michael Eavis at Paddington station, London

A locomotive has been named after Glastonbury Festival founder Michael Eavis to honour his work in creating the famous arts event.

A brass plate with his name and the festival logo was unveiled on the First Great Western (FGW (First Great Western)) locomotive earlier.

During the festival period 50 extra trains are laid on to and from Castle Cary, the nearest station to the festival site in Pilton.
The Eavis locomotive will run between London, South Wales and the South West.

FGW's managing director Mark Hopwood said: "I know Michael is a keen supporter of the railways, and when you consider the number of places this will pass through, it is safe to say thousands more will see the high regard in which he is held across the South West."

During the festival period, some 15,000 festival-goers arrive by train.

The ceremony was held at Paddington Station, London.

Anyone out there know which Class 43 this is?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 20:29:24 »

chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 22:34:31 »

What on earth is Mr Eavis wearing?!  Huh Grin
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 22:54:54 »

Shorts. Can't remember the last time he was seen in long trousers
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 23:08:56 »

Cheers Ollie.  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 08:01:59 »

From The Breeze

Glastonbury Festival founder Michael Eavis will today have a new Intercity Express Train named after him after being nominated in a poll of 100 Great Westerners.

Castle Cary station, the transport hub responsible for taking thousands of people to and from the festival site, will also receive a new dedication as  ‘Castle Cary, Station of the Glastonbury Festival’.

The train will carry the name Michael Eavis and the logo of the Glastonbury Festival.

GWR (Great Western Railway) Sales and Marketing Director Phil Delaney said: "I know Michael is a keen supporter of the railways, and when you consider the number of places this will pass through, it is safe to say thousands more will see the high regard in which he is held across the South West.

"Great Western provides over 50 extra trains to and from Castle Cary to help Glastonbury travellers attend the festival, carrying as many as 15,000 festival goers.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 09:37:17 »

I bet Hitachi are really looking forward to a muddy Glastonbury :-)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 12:40:03 »

May just be wibble, but I heard that GWR (Great Western Railway) were retaining 'one or two full HST (High Speed Train) sets for events such as Glastonbury'
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 13:05:13 »

Did no one else spot the word for word repeat sentence in the press releases 4 years apart!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 13:21:08 »

Did no one else spot the word for word repeat sentence in the press releases 4 years apart!

Funnily enough, I re-activated the old thread because it seemed so similar to the earlier naming.  I'll admit I had not read back line for line to note that Phil Delaney had said exactly the same words in 2019 that Mark Hopwood said in 2015.   Modern databases of standard cut and paste sound bites are wonderful, aren't they!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 13:25:36 »

Well... there is an IET (Intercity Express Train) named after him - but he didn't get the chance to name it.

The plan was he would officially christen it when the 05:41 from Penzance stopped at Castle Cary at 09:40 this morning.  However a problem with the set for the 05:05 from Penzance meant a last minute swap and so the named train passed through Castle Cary at speed about 08:40 on the up Golden Hind.

However he did receive a picture of "his" train.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 13:42:29 »

Couldn't they have set up the free standing curtains on the platform edge and got Mr Eavis to pull the cord as 'his' train sped through Castle Cary?

Slow the train a bit, good timing and a fast shutter speed, and it may have been possible to get the photo opportunity as if the train were stationary.

I also thought that if the vinyl name hadn't yet been applied they could have got a magnetic-backed one and thrown it at the passing train. But then I remembered the IET (Intercity Express Train) bodies are non-ferrous aluminium.
Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 13:48:17 »

He wasn't even there at that point!   He did thank GWR (Great Western Railway) for the honour - but pointed out they had probably had a fair few tonnes of his good quality top soil swept up off their trains for use in station planters.

I was at Castle Cary from 07:20 until nearly 10:00 and it was bitterly cold.  Mr Eavis is obviously made of stronger stuff - he was there in his trademark shorts.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 18:22:17 »

Slow the train a bit, good timing and a fast shutter speed, and it may have been possible to get the photo opportunity as if the train were stationary.

One of the photographers who regularly submits pictures to the railway press did manage to catch the name as the Golden Hind passed - although he didn't realise it until he was asked to have a look!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 19:54:48 »

May just be wibble, but I heard that GWR (Great Western Railway) were retaining 'one or two full HST (High Speed Train) sets for events such as Glastonbury'
This has been suggested a few times in the wnxx and railuk forums, and each time a GWR insider (who posts in both) has quickly replied that it is most definitely wibble...

Paul
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: