Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:05:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Making up the rules, again?  (Read 23191 times)
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 17:16:34 »

The passenger charter is perfectly clear.

If no seats then we pay out.

It's also considered a done thing that if you cannot get a seat in First Class and as a result you take a seat in Standard Class (which is available) then you are compensated. Rightly so in my opinion.

I can't see how a TOC (Train Operating Company) can justify not refunding the additional First Class part of the fare if you didn't actually use the service on the train.

A long time ago I had issue on a Southern Trains service where I purchased a First Class Ticket to travel from Brighton - London Victoria. The train was short formed and had 5 Carriages instead of 10. There was a "Celebrity" onboard and some passengers who claimed they had rights to deny me entry to First Class Private Security told me First Class was off limits. Any other passenger I think would have accepted this, sat in Standard Class and claimed back from the TOC if they could be bothered.

I however being the awkward sod I am, was having absolutely none of it. To cut a long story short. A vicious verbal argument broke out, I quoted NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage), that got the BTP (British Transport Police) called and the train delayed.

Southern kinda missed the point and said that First Class would have been refunded if the accommodation was full (it wasn't) but refunded me the fare in full + a good will gesture for the distress I received and subsequent severe delays I encountered as a result (A missed flight from Stansted Angry )

Grin Grin Grin Grin
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 11:51:45 »

Quick update:  Mr Hopwood has a polite yet informative email in his inbox with a request to investigate the issue and confirm FGW (First Great Western)'s policy to me.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 08:59:45 »

A response from Mr Hopwood's office.  Trimming off the intro and 'Standard Class has improved' sections:

"I was disappointed to learn that you have been advised compensation is not payable on the occasions when you have been unable to get a seat in First Class. As you have rightly ascertained, this is not the case and compensation is payable under the terms set in our Passengers Charter, and this will be the difference between First and Standard Class based on the cost of your ticket. I have raised this as a training issue across our customer relations department, and also added an alert to your contact information to ensure that compensation is processed correctly when you have the need to claim."

So at least everyone is clear on the rules now.  It was a nice response, delivered promptly, so I can't fault that.

They are still encouraging me to make a seat reservation.  I am not sure how I feel about this...  Given that I travel on a Worcester-->Padd HST (High Speed Train), but only boarding at Maidenhead, I am concerned that if I start making reservations then this will quickly escalate to the point that everyone makes reservations and suddenly there are empty seats with reservations on and even more people standing.  It seems like an escalation that will keep me happy in the short term but ultimately make the situation worse for the wider population.  I'd be curious as to others' thoughts on this.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 18:39:08 »

You run the risk of a verbal headache when someone is sat in your reserved seat each morning that's for sure...

As much as I want to say it's a good idea. In practice passengers aren't very bright when it comes to the railway. So they won't sit in a seat reserved from Bath Spa - Exeter St Davids if they are travelling from London Paddington - Bath Spa.

Whilst I am generalising there big time. It's predominantly true. I have got called out for sitting in reserved seats when making a journey that is not covered under the reserved label and told "You can't do that" by other passengers. Trying to explain the method is also hard work.

Sidestepping this issue slightly. A friend of mine had to stand from Westbury - London Paddington (Standard Class Ticket Holder) and wrote an email to FGW (First Great Western). FGW refunded the ticket but took a ^10 admin fee... What is all that about? Roll Eyes Undecided Lips sealed

Grin Grin Grin Grin
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 09:58:30 »

I would pursue that ^10 with a passion. There is no basis for that deduction being made and infers that they have treated it as an 'unused ticket' rather than a breach of Passengers Charter.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 10:27:24 »

I have raised this as a training issue across our customer relations department,

Following the issues raised and dodgy practices unmasked on "Dispatches" this week, together with the totally inappropriate announcements made on the FGW (First Great Western) train following a recent suicide I think the FGW training department will be quite busy for a while.

Penzance-Paddington

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2015, 13:46:35 »

Within the past month these are getting rejected on the grounds that I didn't reserve a seat and, quote "no reservation equals no refund". Lovely.

Thanks

When you buy  a ticket you buy a ticket for travel, not for a seat. The only circumstance where you'd be entitled to a seat is if you reserved a seat at the point of purchase.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2015, 13:49:29 »

Within the past month these are getting rejected on the grounds that I didn't reserve a seat and, quote "no reservation equals no refund". Lovely.

Thanks

When you buy  a ticket you buy a ticket for travel, not for a seat. The only circumstance where you'd be entitled to a seat is if you reserved a seat at the point of purchase.
The FGW (First Great Western) Passenger Charter entitles NickB to a refund in these circumstances:
Quote from: FGW (First Great Western) Passenger Charter
If you hold a First Class ticket and there are no seats available we will offer compensation in
National Rail Travel Vouchers or as an e-voucher credit to your online FGW account, based
on the cost of your ticket. This will be the difference between the corresponding First and
Standard Class ticket and for Season Ticket holders we will work out the proportional daily
rate* for the affected journey. To claim please contact our Customer Relations team with your
journey details and your original ticket / Season Ticket details.
https://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/about-us/customer-services/passenger-charter
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2015, 09:36:26 »

Yep, I did mention in the original posting that this is for a First Class ticket.
FGW (First Great Western) have acknowledged, via mark hopwood's office, that they were incorrect to be declining the refunds. Responses since then have paid out without issue, although the amount of compensation is very varied which indicates to me that the processes for refunds are not clearly defined to the customer services staff.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2015, 23:19:49 »

Don't worry folks, Penzance-Paddington seems to have a thing about seats on GWR (Great Western Railway) services.

The matter that caused concern was resolved in mid-May. Looks likely P-P may have read no further in the thread than the post from April 23rd that he quoted.

P-P has said elsewhere that he is training to be an RPO. It's perfectly possible he may encounter a situation where 1st Class is full and a 1st Class ticket holder asks about their refund rights after having to travel in Standard Class. As Brucey has pointed out, passengers in this situation are entitled to a refund of the difference  between the 1st Class and Standard Class fares for the effected journey.

And it's not just something GWR do as a charter commitment. It's an entitlement laid down in the National Rail Conditions of Carriage.

That's today's RPO training module completed.  Roll Eyes Tongue

« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 23:26:59 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: