09:09 Gloucester to Weymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 11:18:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Person killed by train in Hereford - police ask public 'not to film' scene  (Read 10424 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: May 03, 2015, 22:34:03 »

From Hereford Times:

Person killed after being involved in collision with train in Hereford - police ask public 'not to film' scene

Police confirmed they attended the scene a fatal incident just south of Hereford train station this afternoon.

It's understood a person died after being hit by a train.

A spokesman for Network Rail confirmed the incident, at 5.05pm on Saturday afternoon.

He said a person was involved in a collision with a train heading from Milford Haven to Manchester.

The line was closed for several hours while emergency services attended.

West Mercia Police officers issued a message on social media:

Police are dealing with a person who has died near HFD» (Hereford - next trains) Train Station.
We ask people to NOT film what we are dealing with and show respect.

The subsequent 'comments' made on that news site make interesting reading.  Undecided

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 09:46:45 »

I struggle to understand the mentality of someone who would stand there with phone raised filming such an horrific scene.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 10:00:27 »

There was a recent incident at Telford (not rail related) when the police were traying to talk somebody down from a building who was threatening to jump.   At the same time there were scores of utterly disrespectful people filming this and also people shouting "Jump".   Have some people got no respect these days.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 11:42:10 »

As an IT trainer, I get to learn a little bit about what goes on behind all sorts of scenes. I'm told there is a vast footage taken by professional war correspondents which is simply too shocking to be used / shown, and that what is made public on TV / (and now) online is only a tiny and carefully selected set of images, at the tamer end of the scale.  Other professional sources confirm to me that you can find just about anything online.

It is - I suspect - absolutely right to cover up / quickly recover scenes such as these, and certainly to discourage the taking and dissemination of photographs.  Not only are there matters such as respect for those involved, but also the very serious effect of the photographs on others - especially as / when / if they might be shown to others through amateur contributed media without checks and balances.   Yes - I am also very much aware that amateur contributes sites have a massive continual mop up operations going on - see here which I bookmarked yesterday, ironically, for later blog comment - but that's shutting the door after the horse has bolted to some extent.

Chris refers to the comments on the Hereford Times website - and there's the "usual" argument / discussion about why perfect information as to what was happening wasn't available from the minute the tragedy happened.  Perhaps such comments, and people taking pictures at the scene, are simply a naivety and lack of thinking it through in the heat of the moment.   There's a natural "information systems are messed up" reaction without thinking how things get put into the information systems in the first place - sources ... and there's a natural "I can get exclusive pictures here" reaction without thinking that no-one would want such an exclusive.  Just theorising to help understand ...

Please note - much more information an help on "Person hit by train" at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/phbt . Please follow that link if you, dear reader, are looking for help or further guidance.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 17:58:09 »

I remember on the 11th September 2001 just about every news organisation showed images of the aeroplanes hitting the twin towers for a couple of hours until one by one they seemed to realise they were showing scenes of mass murder and the images were not then shown again for some months.

Obviously a tragedy on a different scale to the events at Hereford, but still a personal moment for everyone involved and indeed disturbing scenes for those with no direct connection.  You don't need to see the evidence to know what is likely to have happened.

As grahame says those filming at Hereford in the hope of getting an exclusive are likely to be disappointed.  There are no shortage of would be photo journalists with the proliferation of camera phones, but that doesn't mean we have to abandon taste, respect and reason.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 15:11:52 »

Another sad day for fatalities with two in the Worcester area, one this morning involving a FGW (First Great Western) train and one this afternoon involving a London Midland train.

Thoughts, as ever, for the friends, family, driver, other crew and passengers who were involved.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 16:41:02 »

My inclination at a scene of crime, disaster or accident would be to film or photograph the incident.
NOT with the intention of publication, as someone has already said, what about decency and respect.

Such a record could be most useful to the police or other investigating authorities, but should not normally be made public. It is a simple matter to delete the record after say 12 months if no appeal for information has been made.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 17:11:37 »

My inclination at a scene of crime, disaster or accident would be to film or photograph the incident.
NOT with the intention of publication, as someone has already said, what about decency and respect.

Presumably you refer to the incident itself and not the aftermath?  I would have thought that the emergency services are extremely unlikely to want film/pictures of the aftermath.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 20:31:57 »

Yes, I was thinking about the incident and the very immediate aftermath. Later events are as you suggest probably well recorded by the emergency services.

I once observed a fatal civil engineering accident, I had been watching the work and photographing it simply out of interest. When it all went terribly and fatally wrong I had some "good" pictures of the work just before the accident and of the immediate aftermath.
I would never publish such, it just seems wrong. But I did give the film to the police. I never even saw the pictures my self, I gave the undeveloped film to the police and suggested that it be placed into a sealed evidence bag, and then developed by an expert police photo lab.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: