19:19 Carmarthen to Swansea
Short Run
14:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 17:07:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[318] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[207] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[102] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[35] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[31] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[15] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Writer on the Train  (Read 10708 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 31, 2011, 14:36:18 »

I have split this topic off from the general introduction topic as I think it merits a thread of its own
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 15:34:48 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
writeronthetrain

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 13:40:45 »

Hello. My name is James Attlee and I am currently The Writer on the Train for First Great Western. This doesn't mean I work for them - but I have a pass to the network so that I can travel and collect stories from both staff and passengers, as well as explore the history and geography of the line. The reason I am posting is that I would love to hear some of your stories. Among the things I am particularly interested in are the ways you use your time on the train - do you read, listen to music, daydream, study a foreign language? I believe commuting time (as well, of course, as being exhausting and at times frustrating) can be a boon in that it gives us space in a crowded life to achieve things we might not have done otherwise -- I wrote my first book after I started commuting, for instance. I would also love to hear stories of remarkable experiences you may have had on the train over the time you have been travelling. People you have met, extreme experiences (being stranded in the snow or floods or as the result of a crash?) that you have survived, friendships you have formed with other passengers and/or members of the railway staff. You can see the blog I have been keeping for the past couple of months at http://writeronthetrain.com and post comments there, or email me at writeronthetrain@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 15:07:34 »

Welcome to the forum, James.  Smiley

I've had a quick dip into your blog and I'm already hooked!

I look forward to reading further entries and will keep an eye out for you on FGW (First Great Western).

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 15:32:46 »

Hi, James ... and welcome to the forum.   I too enjoyed reading your most recent post on your own site / blog.

I'm going to split your introduction off from this thread, as it's really a subject in its own right - that way you'll get more headline attention and readers looking at your post in the next few days.   And by having a separate thread, it will save you the need to keep re-introducing yourself in each thread to which you contribute as well.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 16:35:02 »

Hello. My name is James Attlee and I am currently The Writer on the Train for First Great Western. This doesn't mean I work for them - but I have a pass to the network so that I can travel and collect stories from both staff and passengers, as well as explore the history and geography of the line.

Gosh, James ... I'll admit be being a bit envious of you. If I decided on the day to take a return trip from my local station to London, it would set me back 146 pounds for about 100 miles each way (Monday to Friday);  for sure, that's reduced to a much better 46.50 on Saturday.

The reason I am posting is that I would love to hear some of your stories. Among the things I am particularly interested in are the ways you use your time on the train - do you read, listen to music, daydream, study a foreign language? I believe commuting time (as well, of course, as being exhausting and at times frustrating) can be a boon in that it gives us space in a crowded life to achieve things we might not have done otherwise -- I wrote my first book after I started commuting, for instance.

What proportion of travellers are commuter - regular travellers, travelling multiple times each week on the same journey? What is the defintion of "commuter" anyway - surely there are borderline cases!.  But certainly train travel time is far more valuable that time you (or I) spend driving;  time spend behind the wheel it tiring, and you're limited in what you can do - I'll elect for the train if timings are right, connections to and from start and end points away from the station work, and if I can fine a way of doing it at a price that doesn't make me wince, and on a train that runs within an hour or so of my optimum.

So, James .. you talk and you write on the train. Do you also listen to music or daydream?   Why not add a poll (not sure if you can do that, though, until you've made a certain number of posts  Cheesy

writeronthetrain

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 18:24:01 »

Thanks for your messages, Grahame and Bignosemac.
Yes Grahame, it does feel like an incredible privilege to be able to jump on a train when I want and take off... I commuted 5 days a week for 12 years, so I'm well aware of the costs. When I went freelance and stopped the daily journey to London, I found that I missed it. There's something about travelling in a train carriage through the landscape that is conducive to thought. It can also be a very social experience, of course...
I am not only looking for commuter tales -- all users of the railway are of interest to me for this project. Incidentally, Grahame, the word 'commuter' originated in North America and referred to those who paid for their tickets in advance. Season-ticket holders was the British expression, until we imported the word in the 1960s. Unless anyone out there is going to tell me different...
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 20:21:48 »

Welcome. Interesting to read your blog.

I think your most recent post about Revenue Protection raises a good question of how to solve the problem of violence and threatened violence! Really, I think other operators should follow South Eastern's method of having Enforcement Officer!

I am no longer an active member of this website.
writeronthetrain

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 16:02:16 »

Hi -- thanks for your comment. It is strange how it changed the way I look at the railway, travelling for research as writer on the train rather than just rushing to get to work -- I started to see it is a network of people rather than just a huge machine.
My latest post is more about our perception as we ride the train, what it does to our vision of the landscape and how the regular routine provided by the rail timetable can train our minds.
http://writeronthetrain.com/
As I wrote before, I am very keen to hear from regular rail travellers who may have stories to tell about their journeys and the experiences they have had on the train. 
writeronthetrain

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 12:05:37 »

On a lighter note, I have started an occasional series of posts called Train Songs, beginning today
http://writeronthetrain.com
If you have suggestions please let me know!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 01:48:33 »

From the Telegraph:

Station to Station: Searching for Stories on the Great Western Line by James Attlee, review: 'magical'

Murderers, politicians, sex parties and dogs: all life is evoked in a magical history of the Great Western Railway, says Michael Kerr

Gloucester Cathedral with an antique locomotive before it     Photo: Wiltshire/REX Shutterstock

Which mode of transport links John Tawell, who murdered his mistress in 1845, and George Osborne, who needs his party to murder Labour next week? Answer: the railway.

Tawell, a Quaker businessman and pharmacist, forced his mistress, Sarah Hart, to drink prussic acid, a treatment for varicose veins. He then fled from Slough to Paddington by train. He was caught when the new electric telegraph, intended for railway communications, was used to send his description, mentioning his full-length Quaker greatcoat, ahead of him to London.

Nearly 170 years later, in 2012, Osborne (champion of the HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) and HS3 rail projects) discovered that Twitter can outpace a train. He was travelling from Wilmslow to London, holding a standard-class ticket but sitting in a first-class compartment. When an inspector took this up with one of the Chancellor^s aides, an argument began, which a journalist overheard and tweeted. Osborne, like Tawell, was preceded into the capital by news of himself.

The incidents are recounted, and the connections between them drawn, by James Attlee in Station to Station. ^God^s Wonderful Railway^, they used to call the link Isambard Kingdom Brunel forged between London and Bristol, and in Attlee^s hands the Great Western Line is indeed full of wonders, prompting passages on everything from infrared technology to resurrection as painted by Stanley Spencer in Cookham.

In previous books, one about moonlight, the other about the Cowley Road in Oxford, Attlee made magic with what others overlook. Here he does it again. Station to Station is partly an exploration of places and buildings on or just off the line; partly a collection of stories about people who have been associated with it, whether as planners, navvies, staff or passengers; and partly a rumination on the nature of travel.

It takes him to a 19th-century asylum, designed to keep madness confined, and a 21st-century bus station, where passengers embark on journeys that could send them around the world. It takes him to a burial mound at Taplow, which has survived since Anglo-Saxon times, and a fossil-fuel power station at Didcot, which was seen off in 2014 with a night of ^blowdown barbecues^.

He sounds out a few of today^s passengers and staff (among them the falconer charged with scaring off Paddington^s pigeons), but on most of his outings he is ^sensing the souls^ of their predecessors, from Diana Dors, pioneer of the British sex party at her mansion near Maidenhead, who^d interrupt her coupling guests to offer tea and scones, to Haile Selassie, King of Kings of all Ethiopia, who, having been run out of his country by the Italian army, set up his government-in-exile in 1936 in a Roman city ^ Bath.

Attlee^s book grew out of a stint as ^writer on the train^ for the rail operator First Great Western, which agreed he could be frank. And he is: he points out that the original investors in the Great Western Railway included at least five men with links to the slave trade.

Partly written on trains, Station to Station gains force from being read on one. Just be careful around Slough, where the author^s reappraisal of a place damned by Betjeman and derided in the The Office could have you making an unscheduled stop. He^s struck there by the memorial to Station Jim, a dog that charmed loose change from passengers for the GWR (Great Western Railway)^s widows and orphans, and is preserved, stuffed, in a glass case.

Maybe, he muses, we could do the same with the much-loved member of station staff who passes on, or the commuter who pops his clogs on the train. ^Among the jostle and flow of the crowd on our rush-hour platforms these figures would not move, frozen in attitudes and gestures once familiar, their continued presence a reassuring reminder of values that endure.^

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: