Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
17:05 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
18:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:14 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
19:46 Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
Additional 15:20 Bristol Parkway to Weymouth
16:26 Frome to Bristol Temple Meads
16:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
14:23 Swansea to London Paddington
14:48 London Paddington to Swansea
15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Shrub Hill
16:18 London Paddington to Swansea
18:18 Carmarthen to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 16:55:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[56] Signage - not making it easy ...
[28] IETs at Melksham
[25] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[23] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[22] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Network Rail industrial action 2015.  (Read 70180 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2015, 09:32:59 »

No compulsory redundancies before 31 December 2016

No change to that part of the offer - which I reckon'll be the sticking point
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2015, 16:48:55 »

I really find it hard to understand how any business in the real world, especially in the state that Network Rail is, can be expected to make an undertaking like that.....of course I guess that the Unions will count on the taxpayer picking up the tab.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2015, 18:29:11 »

I really find it hard to understand how any business in the real world, especially in the state that Network Rail is, can be expected to make an undertaking like that.....of course I guess that the Unions will count on the taxpayer picking up the tab.
Because it is a meaningless statement, instead of compulsory redundancies people will just be 'volunteered'.
I worked for a bank, many years ago, that was heavily unionised that had the same agreement and lots of people were still made redundant. Of course there will be handful who object but they will be in the minority and everybody else will just take the cash and run.
Also it is very unlikely that Network Rail will go bankrupt so quite easy for NR» (Network Rail - home page) to guarantee this. 
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2015, 19:21:46 »

A business can make such a statement in good conscience without significant risk if:
a) They have a high staff turnover anyway;
b) They are already having difficulty recruiting or retaining staff;
c) The age profile of its staff leads them to expect more retirements than any possible redundancies (or those nearing retirement who would gladly volunteer if they were given a decent offer);
d) They rely heavily on outside contractors for work that they could bring in house.

What are the big business risks that might cause NR» (Network Rail - home page) suddenly and unforeseeably to need to loose a lot of staff?

Now there are always risks in business, but many businesses are finding they have cases a) & b) at the moment, particularly for skilled staff and those who work unsocial hours. That must cover the vast majority of NR staff. 

Also December 2016 is not that far off.  A business like NR should be able to see that far ahead. 

The main risk of redundancies in NR going forward must be signallers as the old boxes are transferred to the new signalling centres. However they already know which ones are going to close by December 2016 and in our patch most of those should be in commuting distance of Didcot or Cardiff so they would want to redeploy most of them.

Going forward with a bit of careful workforce planning they may be able to extend that time. 
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2015, 19:35:51 »

I think the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) is looking for a no redundancy commitment for the full length of the agreement - all four years of it, not just 1 and a half
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2015, 19:49:02 »

I think the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) is looking for a no redundancy commitment for the full length of the agreement - all four years of it, not just 1 and a half
I know.  With a bit of work they might find they are able to give one.  After all they know their investment plans for the next 4 years and the likely impact of that on their workforce.  There might need to be some negotiation on redeployment etc. 
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2015, 08:44:42 »

FGW (First Great Western) are still going to honour the earlier arrangements for tickets on the planned strike days

If you have a ticket for the 25th or 26th May, you can still travel on Sunday or Wednesday.

^ If you have an Anytime, Off-peak and Super-off Peak ticket, normal time restrictions will still apply on Tuesday and Wednesday.
^If you have an Advance Purchase tickets, you can still travel on alternative days - but should try to make sure this is around the same time as your original booking.
^Full refunds with no admin fee will still be available for unused tickets valid for 25th and 26th May.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2015, 09:10:22 »

Sensibly handled by FGW (First Great Western), and I assume the other operators are doing the same?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2015, 09:13:09 »

That is from their website, I haven't checked other operators.  FGW (First Great Western) are also accepting tickets dated yesterday today following the incident at Twyford.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2015, 09:37:09 »

What are the big business risks that might cause NR» (Network Rail - home page) suddenly and unforeseeably to need to loose a lot of staff?

........how about a ^1 billion overspend on a Capex project?

How many Businesses in that position would be able to offer a guarantee of no compulsory redundancies?

It's the sort of ridiculous sense of entitlement irrespective of performance that enabled powerful trade unions to destroy our competitiveness and knacker the economy in the 1960s & 1970s, the rail unions are pretty much the only TU that have any power left (mainly because they can bring London to a halt), their days are numbered.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:45:28 by TaplowGreen » Logged
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2015, 09:45:40 »

........how about a ^1 billion overspend on a Capex project?

That is more likely to affect future Capex than Opex which might delay future investment and therefore lead to retention of staff.  Except perhaps those running the Investment programme - but the majority of those involved in investment are consultants. 

NR is not in a position to cut day to day operational without reducing the number of trains, unless it is as a result of investment, either to reduce the need for maintenance or reduce the number of staff needed to operate the railway.  After all part of the problems with the reliability of today's railway is the shortage of skilled staff. 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2015, 14:24:24 »

the rail unions are pretty much the only TU that have any power left (mainly because they can bring London to a halt), their days are numbered.

How about teachers, firefighters, ambulance crews, pilots, air traffic controllers?  Are you saying they have no 'power' anymore?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2015, 14:33:22 »

Teachers....a few days off for the kids & parents a touch annoyed, but no power, no
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2015, 14:58:00 »

I suppose parents a touch annoyed (having to arrange child care/take time off work etc.) is much the same as commuters a touch annoyed depending on whether you are directly affected by any action.

I wonder how each would compare in terms of impact on the economy?

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2015, 15:05:41 »

I think you've just made my point.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: