I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:11:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrification work West of Bath  (Read 99349 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2015, 21:18:07 »

On the way to BTH» (Bath Spa - next trains) (7.43, HST (High Speed Train)) we stopped by the old refuse siding "to pick up a member of NR» (Network Rail - home page) staff". Coming home (1328, HST) we stopped at the same place "to drop off a signalman". The 1313 to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) via BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) was cancelled because of a signalling problem.Any connection here?

"Pilot" Signaller  stay in the Box (no not as in Tunnel  Roll Eyes ) A Pilot will be there to conduct a train over a section where there is no normal signalling over a section or several sections; the Pilot gets the authority to proceed from the Signaller and will give the train driver instructions ignore signals up to, the Pilot is in effect a Token

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2015, 15:18:07 »

Off to BTT today, and no hangovers caused by the work, it seems. 0749 BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) to WSB» (Westbury - next trains) (2Z08) was cancelled because of a broken train, but all else seemed to be in order. I introduced a colleague to RTT» (Real Time Trains - website), having seen her on the platform at KYN as I sped through on the 0800 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) service.

Now, please!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2015, 16:31:34 »

UPDATE: The line between Bath and Bristol will be closed for 9 days over the Easter period.
Source: Bath Chronicle http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/Network-Rail-withdraw-plans-bridges-Saltford/story-27946221-detail/story.html
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2015, 21:42:21 »

Bristol Evening Post is reporting more overspend and delays on the GWR (Great Western Railway) electrification:

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Cost-Great-Western-Railway-electrification-soars/story-28029898-detail/story.html

There's going to be a fair few non bi-modal trains sitting around doing nothing for quite a while if the delays are as bad as reported here.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2015, 09:54:15 »

The bi-modes deliver first fortunately....and that press report is correct. There's a 17 day one planned south of Oxford too, for Hinkley drainage.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2015, 21:34:10 »

The bi-modes deliver first fortunately....and that press report is correct. There's a 17 day one planned south of Oxford too, for Hinkley drainage.

But Oxford is 70 miles from Hinkley ...

...  perhaps you mean Hinksey.  That's a place near Oxford where the railway often floods. 
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2015, 16:22:14 »

Hinksey indeed!....and NR» (Network Rail - home page) told me this morning that it was put back into 2017 to be done with Oxford, while Banbury is completed this summer.

He also said "Bi-Ox certainly won't be completed before Banbury" and intimated that even that was now likely to come into 2017. I am worried about Didcot-Oxford electrification even more now. The delays are mounting
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2015, 16:57:31 »

UPDATE: The line between Bath and Bristol will be closed for 9 days over the Easter period.
Source: Bath Chronicle http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/Network-Rail-withdraw-plans-bridges-Saltford/story-27946221-detail/story.html

Network Rail will present new designs to a stakeholder working group later in October.

Hmm ... they also have a stakeholder meeting on 10th November to talk about the Easter period - which they are quoting as 2nd to 11th April.   I must have missed something because I thought that Easter was in late March next year - but then that's only a seven day delay.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2015, 20:43:19 »

It could be that in the BANES area the Easter school holidays are seperate from the Easter weekend though of course schools can now take holidays when they wish.

That might be the reason the closure is taking place early April.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2015, 22:15:35 »

Hmm ... they also have a stakeholder meeting on 10th November to talk about the Easter period - which they are quoting as 2nd to 11th April.   I must have missed something because I thought that Easter was in late March next year - but then that's only a seven day delay.

Easter Sunday is indeed 28th March, but Easter being early the school holidays typically start on Good Friday (25th) and go on for two weeks until Monday 11th April.  The period from 2nd to 11th is therefore the weekend after Easter until the end of the following weekend (after which the schools go back).

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2015, 05:52:20 »

It could be that in the BANES area the Easter school holidays are seperate from the Easter weekend though of course schools can now take holidays when they wish.

That might be the reason the closure is taking place early April.
To confirm BANES Easter school holidays runs from Monday 4-15 of April. These are the recommended dates, schools are free to set their own dates but all would be off 2-11 of April when Network Rail are planning to close the line.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2015, 12:13:49 »

This is what I think the basic service pattern will look like when the line is closed between Bath and Bristol next April:

Bristol to London (via Badminton) hourly Monday-Sunday.
Bath to London hourly Monday-Saturday, shuttle to Swindon Sunday morning and evening, hourly service afternoon peak to London.
Cardiff to Portsmouth hourly diverted to start from/to Swindon calling at Melksham every 2 hours as last Summer. Passengers from Cardiff/Newport/Bristol travel by HST (High Speed Train) and change at Swindon. This means one change for those heading South not two involving a bus.
Cardiff to Bristol half hourly service, one fast, one stopper (Taunton service).
Gloucester/Worcester/Great Malvern hourly service terminates at Bristol continuing at Bath...
Bath to Westbury hourly, half hourly in peaks, stopping service continuing to Weymouth/Warminster/Brighton/Frome.
Bath to Bristol bus service every 15 minutes with one service an hour, more in the peaks, calling at Oldfield Park (lower Bristol Road) and Keynsham.

The challenge that I can see is for those commuting from Wiltshire to Bristol either having to go via Swindon (long journey) or changing at Bath for a bus to Bristol, again a long journey.

I expect that GWR (Great Western Railway)/Network Rail will publish details of this upcoming work well in advance to give commuters from Wiltshire and Bath who work in Bristol plenty of time to book annual leave during the week of 4th - 8th of April which those with children will probably be doing anyway.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2015, 12:27:59 »

This is what I think the basic service pattern will look like when the line is closed between Bath and Bristol next April:

The challenge that I can see is for those commuting from Wiltshire to Bristol either having to go via Swindon (long journey) or changing at Bath for a bus to Bristol, again a long journey.

Could they run a couple of peak services via Taunton?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2015, 12:43:20 »

Could they run a couple of peak services via Taunton?
No reason why not with Cardiff-Portsmouths having run via Taunton previously when the line between Bath and Bristol has been closed for engineering work on a Sunday. Quite a long journey though but at least it keeps passengers on trains which surveys have indicated they prefer.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2015, 21:10:58 »

No reason why not with Cardiff-Portsmouths having run via Taunton previously when the line between Bath and Bristol has been closed for engineering work on a Sunday. Quite a long journey though but at least it keeps passengers on trains which surveys have indicated they prefer.

Quite agree.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: