Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:02:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Increasing capacity??  (Read 11999 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 26, 2015, 22:03:28 »

From a London to Reading post - but may be a lesson in our area?

Is there still a 20 minute limit on "acceptable" standing for Crossrail? And if so, where is it to be measured to? Obviously not Paddington, but at least Liverpool Street. And that's 31 minutes from West Drayton (allegedly).

The rule is that where stations are less than 20 mins apart then there is an allowance for standing.  If stations are more than 20 mins apart then there is no allowance.  It isn't written as a '20 minute limit' on standing, AFAICS (As Far As I Can See).

However the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)'s regular overcrowding report mentions in the small print that the rule only applies to franchises that they let - so it may not apply to Crossrail at all...

Paul

If a train takes over 20 minutes between stations, it's considered full when every seat is taken. But if it takes less than 20 minutes, standing is allowed up to a total of 40% of the seats.

Scenario 1.  A train takes 21 minutes from W to S.  It's 3 cars long, with a total of 230 seats, and runs 15 times each way per day - a little fewer on Sundays. So the route capacity (each way) is 230 * 15 * 360 * 6.5 = 8,000,000

Scenario 2. That same train makes a new intermediate stop (and station) at P. It takes 19 minutes from W to P then 6 minutes from P to S. The extra 12 minutes on its round trip can be taken from the 30 minutes it has to turn around at run end, giving it 18 minutes for that operation. So the route capacity (each way) on the section from W to S has increased to around 11,000,000.

There is a very heavy potential flow indeed from P to S, most of whom will change to other long distance services at S. As I understand it, by adding in the extra stop, we're already providing a lot of the extra capaity needed for that flow, and in addition we're allowing for more through passengers too, as the sections to the north of W and to the south of S already have more frequent stops than the 20 minute ones - the W to S section is technically a pinch point at the moment.

This suggestion looks almost absurd enough to post in "The Lighter Side" - and yet if the very act of stopping at P provides extra capacity without the need to add trains, it helps make the economic case for it much more attractive. We live in an odd world!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 14:14:36 »

The Cardiff-Portsmouth service is inter-regional and is the primary fast service on the route. Thus I would hope that standing on the service is not an acceptable norm. Essentially, while the core trunk routes (eg. the WCML (West Coast Main Line) and ECML (East Coast Main Line)) have INTERCITY services as their primary fast services, the Cardiff-Portsmouth route have, understandably, not got this so the Cardiff-Portsmouth DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) need to provide a certain level of comfort for long-distance passengers. Standing on a 166 (or even the current, more-appropriate (apart from lack of coaches), 158s) is not acceptable.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 17:20:34 »

The Cardiff-Portsmouth service is inter-regional and is the primary fast service on the route.

What's your definition of "fast" Wink.   3 hours 24 minutes for 138 miles = 41 m.p.h.    By comparison, 1 hour 59 minutes Cardiff-Paddington for 150 miles = 76 m.p.h.  or 43 minutes Swindon - Westbury for 37 miles = 52 m.p.h.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 19:47:51 »

Well I guess it was "fast" once with services running non-stop between Bath and Trowbridge missing Westbury before stopping at Warminster. Or running non-stop between Bath and Westbury. Going further back you had services running non stop between Bath and Salisbury and even between Bath and Southampton!

Finally, services didn't stop at Filton Abbey Wood between Bristol and Newport because it didn't exist with the old Filton station only having services during the peaks.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 20:12:49 »

The Cardiff-Portsmouth service is inter-regional and is the primary fast service on the route.
What's your definition of "fast" Wink.   3 hours 24 minutes for 138 miles = 41 m.p.h.    By comparison, 1 hour 59 minutes Cardiff-Paddington for 150 miles = 76 m.p.h.  or 43 minutes Swindon - Westbury for 37 miles = 52 m.p.h.
Well, in this case I'm working on the basis that, if there are multiple services on a route with different calling patterns then the one with fewest stops is the 'fast' service.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 20:42:49 »

One of my frustrations with the Portsmouth to Cardiff route, is the section between Portsmouth and Southampton.  Often seen "full", even outside traditional peak periods, with long-distance passengers standing until Southampton.  This train is then followed by the next Southern or SWT (South West Trains) service which can be fairly empty.

But given this is the fastest way to get between the two cities, passengers will choose the FGW (First Great Western) service over the slower service, even though they would be more likely to gain a seat.  Maybe we need announcements like "this service is the fastest train to Southampton, has three carriages and is likely to be busy; another train arrives in fifteen minutes, which has eight carriages and should be less busy".  I know which one I'd choose.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 23:33:45 »

Maybe we need announcements like "this service is the fastest train to Southampton, has three carriages and is likely to be busy; another train arrives in fifteen minutes, which has eight carriages and should be less busy".  I know which one I'd choose.

Whilst one sample doesn't make a statistic, I've seen that tried - and fail - at Westbury - where a unit train to Weymouth (packed) was being followed by a near-empty Weymouth Wizzard.   My group help back; very few others did.

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 05:56:19 »

Interesting point you make about the Weymouth Wizard HST (High Speed Train) Graham. I think the reason for this is it arrives quite late into Weymouth. Even though it leaves half an hour later than the previous DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) service, it arrives into Weymouth nearly 50 minutes later which on a nice warm sunny day is less time on the beach if you are planning on getting the 1728 return service.

It's almost like the HST is there to help getting people home in the evening which is where there has been capacity problems in the past.

Maybe if the HST ran the earlier service going to Weymouth it would see more use?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 08:19:11 »

Interesting point you make about the Weymouth Wizard HST (High Speed Train) Graham. I think the reason for this is it arrives quite late into Weymouth. Even though it leaves half an hour later than the previous DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) service, it arrives into Weymouth nearly 50 minutes later which on a nice warm sunny day is less time on the beach if you are planning on getting the 1728 return service.

It's almost like the HST is there to help getting people home in the evening which is where there has been capacity problems in the past.

Maybe if the HST ran the earlier service going to Weymouth it would see more use?

There's a whole interesting separate story and yet another thread split about the Wizard.  There are single line issues there, and although it doesn't call at the request stops, it's painfully slow as it has to speed up and slow down for the stops it DOES make.   Swapping the two trains would, I fear, not leave a big enough gap between the two for the line / signalling to cope.

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 10:30:57 »

Maybe we need announcements like "this service is the fastest train to Southampton, has three carriages and is likely to be busy; another train arrives in fifteen minutes, which has eight carriages and should be less busy".  I know which one I'd choose.

Whilst one sample doesn't make a statistic, I've seen that tried - and fail - at Westbury - where a unit train to Weymouth (packed) was being followed by a near-empty Weymouth Wizzard.   My group help back; very few others did.

My experience agrees with Graham's.  An announcement may be a good idea, but most people, myself included, would rather take the full train that is there rather than the empty promised train.  People are inpatient and people distrust announcements.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 22:51:06 »

... and people distrust announcements.

Because they have learned from bitter experience.  Tongue Roll Eyes Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 23:34:23 »

I had exactly the same experience last year. I've also seen this in London - when leaving Norbiton after a game at AFC Wimbledon everyone piled onto the first train even though the next was minutes behind. The train lost time at every stop as everyone else tried to pile on, causing our train to be delayed and the following one to be delayed as well. If a logical approach was taken and people waited for the second quieter train, then if both could keep to time the second would have arrived before the first actually did.

But it seems people have a mentality of 'I must catch this train in case the next one doesn't turn up' at all costs. In fairness the Heart of Wessex line only has a frequent service in one direction only at certain times on summer Saturdays - the rest of the time waiting 2 hours is hardly desirable.

The HST (High Speed Train) stops at fewer stations so acceleration isn't the main issue. The bigger problem is it's timed for 40mph between Yeovil and Dorchester whereas DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) can travel at full speed (60-75mph other than Yeovil-Yetminster which is 45mph for some reason). Curiously the speed signs don't have differentials for DMUs and other trains, apart from one just south of Maiden Newton which only applies for a very short distance. I did hope the engineering works earlier in the year would have upgraded the track, but it seems not.

A further example and rather more back on topic is on Sundays there are frequently only 2 trains an hour between Bath and Bristol with the Pompey-Cardiff 15 minutes ahead of the HST. On a number of Sunday afternoons between 3 and 5 over the last few years I've seen people left on the platform at Bath who couldn't fit on the train. Still, an 8 car HST arriving 10 minutes later which should be emptying out ahead of its final stop isn't the worst penalty for being left behind.

The worst overcrowding I've seen generally is between Cardiff and Bath - 3 carriages off-peak frequently isn't enough, but after Bath it usually quietens down.
teamsaint

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 22:01:48 »

It wouldn't take a railway scheduling genius to work out that trains leaving Temple Meads between 3pm and 5 pm are going to be busy.
I was on the 16.22 to Portsmouth Harbour  today. 3 carriages and lots of standing.
Bizarrely, because there were lots of seats with reservation tickets, a few seats were empty, whilst lots of people stood.
I sat myself down in one reserved from Filton Abbey Wood to Salisbury , which was vacant.  Seemed daft standing in the circumstances.

This reservation business comes as  a bit of a surprise to people like  me who mostly use SWT (South West Trains).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 05:42:11 »

It wouldn't take a railway scheduling genius to work out that trains leaving Temple Meads between 3pm and 5 pm are going to be busy.

But, alas, it would take a magician to pull out more carriages that aren't (yet) available.   Cardiff - Portsmouth historic usage shows a correlation between capacity and passenger numbers, with a dip that's not reflected on other lines when trains dipped to just 2 carriages.  Plans are in place to increase capacity - first cascaded ex Thames Valley units to be in service in the Bristol area in about 2 months from today.   And that feels sufficiently close to believe that - at l-o-n-g last - 1 car trains can go up to 2, 2 to 3, etc ...

I was on the 16.22 to Portsmouth Harbour  today. 3 carriages and lots of standing.
Bizarrely, because there were lots of seats with reservation tickets, a few seats were empty, whilst lots of people stood.
I sat myself down in one reserved from Filton Abbey Wood to Salisbury , which was vacant.  Seemed daft standing in the circumstances.

This reservation business comes as  a bit of a surprise to people like  me who mostly use SWT (South West Trains).

Reservations or the lack of them are done in different ways in different franchises ... which indicates to me that there's no clear "best practise" - no ideal solution.

simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 11:19:41 »

The number of reservations that are never used is verging on scandulous.

It is about time that franchises that use them should charge a small fee, say £2-3 per reservation to encourage people to get the train they intended, or sit in the right seat.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: