09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
10:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 07:53:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Poll: What do you think of the 08 fare strike? It was:
a failure- only a handful of people avoided paying.
not a failure, but not a success.
a success- it highlighted the problems.
Don't know/care.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: The 2008 Fare Strike  (Read 12108 times)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 23:32:19 »

A dodgy one of course. But there was such a scrum when I got to the barrier that I couldn't be bothered to go through the bother of showing it. So I put my crisp new 16% off annual season ticket through the gate instead. Others at work put theirs in their season ticket wallets, and the staff knowingly let them through.
Result - I didn't break the law but I helped publicise the cause (well would have done had it been shown, but they had much more interesting footage). Result: everyone a winner (except for FGW (First Great Western).)     
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 16:59:11 »

A dodgy one of course. But there was such a scrum when I got to the barrier that I couldn't be bothered to go through the bother of showing it. So I put my crisp new 16% off annual season ticket through the gate instead. Others at work put theirs in their season ticket wallets, and the staff knowingly let them through.
Result - I didn't break the law but I helped publicise the cause (well would have done had it been shown, but they had much more interesting footage). Result: everyone a winner (except for FGW (First Great Western).)     
Thats what all but two people did, they all travelled with valid tickets aswell. Sorry MTLS (More Train Less Strain) but what have you gained??? NOTHING!!! MTLS have not changed anything at all!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 17:37:57 »

Publicity is all about getting the issue you are concerned about in the public eye, whether it be press or media. Does Greenpeace chase Japanese whale hunters because they seriously expect to stop them? No, but because they want to highlight the issue to the world. Do people in towns demanding bypasses block the traffic for a morning because they want to hold up the traffic. No, because they want to show everyone how fed up they are, and get those that make the decisions to sit up and understand that there is a seriously p***ed off group of people.

It's the same here. The only objective of the Fare Strike was to raise public (and political) awareness of how strongly your customers feel about the level of service they receive. My local weekly paper has a full page devoted to the subject this weekend, and the daily in Bristol gave it extensive coverage, as did Points West and ITV News. So it succeeded in its objective.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2008, 18:05:25 »

Publicity is all about getting the issue you are concerned about in the public eye, whether it be press or media. Does Greenpeace chase Japanese whale hunters because they seriously expect to stop them? No, but because they want to highlight the issue to the world. Do people in towns demanding bypasses block the traffic for a morning because they want to hold up the traffic. No, because they want to show everyone how fed up they are, and get those that make the decisions to sit up and understand that there is a seriously p***ed off group of people.

It's the same here. The only objective of the Fare Strike was to raise public (and political) awareness of how strongly your customers feel about the level of service they receive. My local weekly paper has a full page devoted to the subject this weekend, and the daily in Bristol gave it extensive coverage, as did Points West and ITV News. So it succeeded in its objective.
One thing that MTLS (More Train Less Strain) achieved was barrier staff being verbaly abused and assaulted for DOING THEIR JOB!! This years fare strike was forgotten about by lunch time and it made it onto the news but noone really cared, I counted quite a few people refrain from taking the tickets from the numpties outside the stations, and at the end of the day MTLS were supposedly "withholding paying their fare" , which only  a few people actually did, yes it made it to the news but it's old news, FGW (First Great Western) are not in the top 10 of most crowded trains in the UK (United Kingdom), Cross Countrys walk on fares are more expensive than FGW for the same distances. Mr Ambrose, a tip, take up politics or gardening.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2008, 19:14:00 »

One thing that MTLS (More Train Less Strain) achieved was barrier staff being verbaly abused and assaulted for DOING THEIR JOB!! This years fare strike was forgotten about by lunch time and it made it onto the news but noone really cared, I counted quite a few people refrain from taking the tickets from the numpties outside the stations, and at the end of the day MTLS were supposedly "withholding paying their fare" , which only  a few people actually did, yes it made it to the news but it's old news, FGW (First Great Western) are not in the top 10 of most crowded trains in the UK (United Kingdom), Cross Countrys walk on fares are more expensive than FGW for the same distances. Mr Ambrose, a tip, take up politics or gardening.

How do you make that out?
Bristol to London: 118 miles, 1hr 44min = 68mph. Peak walk on ^137 = 58p per mile, off peak ^49 21p per mile.
Bristol to Birm: 92 miles, 1 hr 26 mins = 64mph. Peak walk on ^66 = 36p per mile, off peak ^39.70 21p per mile.

Both services half hourly. I make the FGW service 60% dearer in the peak for a broadly similar service in terms of speed and frequency.   
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 19:29:03 »

try off peak, Penzance Paddington saver (valid on all but one train) ^75, Penzance - Birmingham saver (roughly the same distance) ^109, there are many more! both fares are for returns.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2008, 21:33:54 »

try off peak, Penzance Paddington saver (valid on all but one train) ^75, Penzance - Birmingham saver (roughly the same distance) ^109, there are many more! both fares are for returns.
The Penzance to Paddington saver at ^75 is pretty good value for a walk up ticket as opposed to a Bristol to London saver at ^49 which IMHO (in my humble opinion) is poor value. I say this about all rail companies not just FGW (First Great Western), that yes you offer great deals on advance booked tickets for those who can book in advance but the price you get charged now for tickets bought on the day on IC (Inter City) services in particular is pretty poor since supersavers were abolished.

So much for regulation of rail fares under privatisation and thus ensuring good value walk up fares.

Keeping in line with the thread of this post...Fares were one of the reason why MTLS (More Train Less Strain) held the fare strike last week.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2008, 22:59:18 »

I suspect the passenger flows from Bristol to London and Birmingham are somewhat more than from Penzance to same destinations.

What's the difference in peak fares from Penzance? ^257 to Paddington or ^109 to Birmingham. Similar distance. I think you'll find that most people complaining are grumbling about the peak fares, which have become extortionate from Bristol to London. Off peak fares, (whilst not disagreeing with Timmer) don't seem to have attracted the same concern. People feel ripped off, especially when you consider that uniquely amongst the "Inter-City" franchises, the service is slower than 25 years ago.   
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2008, 23:21:11 »

The Penzance to Paddington saver at ^75 is pretty good value for a walk up ticket as opposed to a Bristol to London saver at ^49 which IMHO (in my humble opinion) is poor value. I say this about all rail companies not just FGW (First Great Western), that yes you offer great deals on advance booked tickets for those who can book in advance but the price you get charged now for tickets bought on the day on IC (Inter City) services in particular is pretty poor since supersavers were abolished.

So much for regulation of rail fares under privatisation and thus ensuring good value walk up fares.

Keeping in line with the thread of this post...Fares were one of the reason why MTLS (More Train Less Strain) held the fare strike last week.

Bristol-London is ^42.

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2008, 23:46:35 »

I suspect the passenger flows from Bristol to London and Birmingham are somewhat more than from Penzance to same destinations.

What's the difference in peak fares from Penzance? ^257 to Paddington or ^109 to Birmingham. Similar distance. I think you'll find that most people complaining are grumbling about the peak fares, which have become extortionate from Bristol to London. Off peak fares, (whilst not disagreeing with Timmer) don't seem to have attracted the same concern. People feel ripped off, especially when you consider that uniquely amongst the "Inter-City" franchises, the service is slower than 25 years ago.   

And that is i think the problem

Fares have gone up across he board BUT......

Almost every where else , journey times has gone down

In 2004 when I first did this insanity - a season cost about ^730 and took 2.01 hours

In 2008 it costs ^1130 and takes 2.17 hours

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2008, 10:42:07 »

Bristol-London is ^42.
Maybe it was a while back but its now ^49 for a Saver return. If you are not in a hurry you can save a few pounds by going to Waterloo at ^46.50 but its a much longer journey. If you are only going for the day and can't book in advance you can also buy a cheap day return Bristol-Waterloo for just ^33.20 and on weekends upgrade to First for an extra ^5 each way. The first class section on SWTs (South West Trains) 159s is quite good, better than it was on TPX and Scotrail 158s. 

One of the problems with the Bristol-Waterloo service is the lack of direct trains, particularly coming back in the evening with the direct train leaving at 19.20 and not getting into Bristol until 22.00. You can travel back on other SWT services with a change at Salisbury but that means changing onto a two carriage FGW (First Great Western) 158 between Salisbury-Bristol which is almost guaranteed to be very busy. Credit to SWT for adding another direct service leaving Waterloo in the morning returning from Bristol at lunchtime. They just need to add a further direct service leaving say around 5pm and you have a pretty good spread of direct trains to choose from during the day out of Waterloo.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2008, 11:24:19 »

The peak fare doesn't really come into it, as anywhere west of Newton Abbot only has one "up" peak train, the 0505 Pnz-Pad the "Golden Hind", and only one "down" peak service the 1703 off Pad, we're lucky really as most peak restrictions don't apply if your going to/from Cornwall! However, our real "peak" is july and August but off peak fares are still valid then!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2008, 15:12:34 »

So maybe you'll understand the frustration for those of us for whom peak fares are indeed a reality. The focus of the MTLS (More Train Less Strain) protests is in the Bristol/Bath area, and it's those fares, services and overcrowding which is their concern, not the service and fare structure in the far west (and that's why I cited the Bristol to London fare structure and compared it with our regions's XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services and fares.) 
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2008, 15:21:15 »

So maybe you'll understand the frustration for those of us for whom peak fares are indeed a reality. The focus of the MTLS (More Train Less Strain) protests is in the Bristol/Bath area, and it's those fares, services and overcrowding which is their concern, not the service and fare structure in the far west (and that's why I cited the Bristol to London fare structure and compared it with our regions's XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services and fares.) 
But it makes a change for the far south west to not have to suffer for the sake of Bristol and London, it's usually us that's forgotten about, remeber last year when Bristol area nicked all the units of our branches?? Thankfully common sense prevailed and it only lasted 3 days! Peak fares are a reality in terms of standard day returns which are on average double the cheap day fare! Good old supply and demand I suppose.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2008, 15:42:35 »

But it makes a change for the far south west to not have to suffer for the sake of Bristol and London, it's usually us that's forgotten about, remeber last year when Bristol area nicked all the units of our branches?? Thankfully common sense prevailed and it only lasted 3 days!

One of the reasons that it only lasted 3 days is because the issue was one of the very few that has ever united virtually every campaigning group in opposition to it.

Thats an indication of how difficult it is to get consensus, and the lack of coordination is something you will hear campaigners complain about regularly.

We are lucky at CANBER (Campaign Against the New Beeching Report) in that we have a collection of forward-thinking groups and individuals who want to work together. However, there are still issues that cause disagreement, sometimes markedly so.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: