Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:15 25 Apr 2024
* Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
15:05 Reading to Basingstoke
15:52 Basingstoke to Reading
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
Short Run
14:23 Exmouth to Paignton
Delayed
12:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 14:31:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Marks & Spencer at Paddington closed for refurbishment for nearly two years - ongoing discussion  (Read 30718 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2015, 20:38:12 »

If you, like me, are in the habit of popping into M&S at Paddington to get something for the journey or something to cook when you get home for dinner then this affects you!

The store closed at 5.30pm today for a refit. It must be a pretty big project as it is not due to reopen until Spring next year.

Sainsbury's just isn't the same.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 21:18:17 »

Other grocery outlets are available (albeit maybe not on mainline railway station concourses (yet)).  Tongue Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 21:47:33 »

Other grocery outlets are available (albeit maybe not on mainline railway station concourses (yet)).  Tongue Roll Eyes Grin
There is a Little Waitrose at Kings Cross.  In my experience it is much busier and cheaper than the M&S.  I do hope they expand to other stations too.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 22:02:44 »

There's a big M&S down the road from Paddington at the junction of Praed St and Edgware Road. Cheaper than a franchised (in Paddington's case - the omnipitent Select Service Partners) M&S Food.

Yes, I use M&S Paddington for the convenience, but if desperate for an M&S food fix I'll consider alighting at Edgware Road on cross London transfers, shopping there and walking the half mile to Pddington.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 06:22:39 »

Must be a major refit as you say Bob for it to be closed until the new year. It was very pokey in there but with the exception of the one at St Pancras International most at stations are. Lets hope the new one is a bit bigger.

The recently opened little Waitrose in King's Cross is a great store. Let's hope we do see more spring up at or near stations in future.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 19:44:27 »

The same has happened at Waterloo. The store closed a few months ago and I believe is being expanded to include clothing as well. Not sure when it reopens
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 20:21:30 »

There's a big M&S down the road from Paddington at the junction of Praed St and Edgware Road. Cheaper than a franchised (in Paddington's case - the omnipitent Select Service Partners) M&S Food.

Yes, I use M&S Paddington for the convenience, but if desperate for an M&S food fix I'll consider alighting at Edgware Road on cross London transfers, shopping there and walking the half mile to Pddington.

Excellent - I'll send you down with my order while I sit in the Mad Bishop and Bear.  Grin
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 10:10:33 »

Does anyone else remember Casey Jones burgers at Paddington? (The forerunner of Burger King)

I remember they served quite effectively as ballast for the journey home after a few (too many) ales in town.............disappeared in the early 90s I think.........the legend was that you knew if you were drunk because you'd buy one, and you knew if you were REALLY plastered because you enjoyed it!  Cheesy
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 10:59:34 »

Just about remember buying a Casey Jones burger at Euston around 1991 I think.

Copyrighted image: http://www.photographersdirect.com/buyers/stockphoto.asp?imageid=358785
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 11:17:12 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 15:17:39 »

It's not just the Marks and Spencers in Paddington that is closed. The Boots and Monsoon are also closed currently.. They don't have a sign saying they are re-opening next spring as Marks and Spencers do though.. Some of the catering outlets in front of them are also closed..
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 15:37:26 »

It's not just the Marks and Spencers in Paddington that is closed. The Boots and Monsoon are also closed currently.. They don't have a sign saying they are re-opening next spring as Marks and Spencers do though.. Some of the catering outlets in front of them are also closed..

Not sure on the geography.  How close is crossrail to these outlets?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Tim K

Commuting from Swindon to London

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 15:58:21 »

From a tweet by @BTPPaddington a few days ago all the shops are closing due to redevelopment of the Lawn, although I can't find any other mention of it.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 16:26:03 »

Possibly in conjunction with the tunnelled walkway going in from Crossrail platforms direct to the Bakerloo Line platforms?
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 22:54:34 »

The same has happened at Waterloo. The store closed a few months ago and I believe is being expanded to include clothing as well. Not sure when it reopens
It reopened yesterday and appears to be on two levels now and yes does include clothes.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 23:08:50 by Surrey 455 » Logged
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 23:39:49 »

Does anyone else remember Casey Jones burgers at Paddington? (The forerunner of Burger King)

No but I remember the one at Stansted airport. There wasn't much choice for food when waiting for a late night flight.

There used to be Julies Pantry at motorway services. Only used it once, the food was dripping with grease.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: