I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:50:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Newquay branch the jungle line  (Read 14745 times)
Palfers

palfers19289@live.com
View Profile
« on: June 14, 2015, 19:46:10 »

is it me or is this branch line getting really over grown the amount of trees and bushes that crash along the train certainly wouldn't stick your head out the window on a hst ouch. hmm maybe it's where the Eden project is expanding to. soon we will be looking out for a lesser spotted 153 approaching the stations!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 20:36:16 »

Triffids, possibly?  Tongue Roll Eyes Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Palfers

palfers19289@live.com
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 20:51:40 »

what they need is a rail grinder to go along the track when it's all bone dry start some fires then job done!! (maybe not one of my best ideas)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 20:59:11 »

In the days of frequent steam trains passing along any length of track, encroaching undergrowth was regularly scorched back out of range - and at no extra cost to the railways, incidentally.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 10:14:40 »

I've heard the Senior Conductor of a Cross-country (*) HST (High Speed Train) on that line give an announcement along the lines of "This is a very narrow line.  Please don't put your head out of the windows because the bridges are so close that you will get your head taken off."

This could have been 10-20 years ago.  (* "Cross-Country" therefore meaning "routed towards Birmingham" rather than "operated by Arriva Cross-Country TOC (Train Operating Company).")

Maybe the overgrown vegetation works as a cheaper version of a carriage washer.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 13:28:13 »

Good job the linespeed on that branch is so low....the Cornish traffic must be faster than taking an HST (High Speed Train) from Par to Newquay.
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 13:47:28 »

Good job the linespeed on that branch is so low....the Cornish traffic must be faster than taking an HST (High Speed Train) from Par to Newquay.
Until the A30 was dualled from Indian Queens to the end of the Bodmin Bypass, that wasn't the case on Summer Saturdays.  I vividly recall being on a double-headed-Class-50-hauled train over Goss Moor, overtaking hundreds of cars snarled up in "trying to get home after a Summer Holiday" mode.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 14:06:20 »

Until the A30 was dualled from Indian Queens to the end of the Bodmin Bypass, that wasn't the case on Summer Saturdays.  I vividly recall being on a double-headed-Class-50-hauled train over Goss Moor, overtaking hundreds of cars snarled up in "trying to get home after a Summer Holiday" mode.

Oh yes the good old run to or from the sun !.
Palfers

palfers19289@live.com
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 17:55:56 »

I rember a couple of years ago a hst failed going up through the Luxulyan valley it had to crawl back to par where the train terminated well you can guess what par is like on a Sunday afternoon nobody about! the guy working at Newquay had to jump in a taxi with us stuck at Newquay travel back to par to try and arrange road replacement unfortunate for the passengers as there was a lot of them needing to get to Newquay. another thing about par Is there is only one toilet! you can imagine the que that can form!
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 12:33:58 »

Having travelled from Par to Newquay and back last week, on a shabby, if punctual, DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit), I can confirm that the vegetation along the line is encroaching in very many places.  I was shocked.  Obviously this is the result of years of neglect, and it's not unique to the Newquay branch line.  I noticed one place where PW (Permanent Way) staff were cutting back some of the timber near one of the level crossings, but to clear the whole line will need much greater resources.  There was practically no view from the train into the surrounding countryside for many miles of route.  The total disappearance, for example, of the site of St Dennis Junction, under a mass of vegetation, is evidence enough to my mind of a very casual attitude towards preventative maintenance of the infrastructure.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 13:57:20 »

Thank you for that recent insight Witham Bobby, and a very warm welcome to the forum.  Smiley

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Palfers

palfers19289@live.com
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 17:48:12 »

I wonder if they give out warnings on the summer hsts not to stick your head out the window! I would be afraid of losing my glasses then I wouldn't see much at all!
woody

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 20:42:25 »

Even on the main line between Plymouth and Newton Abbot vegetation is allowed to regularly grow right up to and touch passing trains. Last week I was on a HST (High Speed Train) that "brushed" against the vegetation on at least three occasions here. Its a regular problem particularly in the west bound direction near Totnes station. If Network rail cant control overgrown vegetation on the main line what hope is there for branch lines. As "Witham Bobby" says far too much of the view from a train is now obscured by an almost non stop "wall" of green vegetation just inches from your face where once there were pleasant views of the South Devon Country. All hell would break loose if this were allowed to happen on our trunk roads but seemingly the railways are allowed to get away with it. But it doesn't give a good impression of a modern well maintained railway does it.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 21:23:08 »

I travelled the branch on Saturday, I think there was more places the Hst was scraping the bushes than not.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Palfers

palfers19289@live.com
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 21:11:06 »

I will be travelling to Newquay tomorrow is the line still very much like a jungle? will I need to take a saw to cut my way through?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: