Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:38:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Weymouth Wizard via TransWilts  (Read 40191 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 22:16:12 »

Given the numbers joining from Swindon and Chippenham, this would appear to prove that there is demand for a high quality service in future years. Is there any thought being given as to how this demand could be met, when presumably the Wizard reverts to its normal route?

There have been early discussions around the partnership (rail and community elements) on this topic, and care's being taken on both sides to gain data as to the market, reaching the market, and the flows observed.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 06:25:17 »

Headed for a day out in Weymouth today!   Say "hi" if you see me on the train.

My thoughts are with those who aren't feeling well enough to travel themselves, or who are being with / looking  after family and friends who cannot come.   I'll be having a cup of tea and scone at the "Old Rooms" at the harbourside and thinking of you.

So
08:16 Temple Meads
08:59 Swindon
09:14 Chippenham

... hear we go!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 08:39:31 »

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 09:00:37 »

Headed for a day out in Weymouth today!   Say "hi" if you see me on the train.

My thoughts are with those who aren't feeling well enough to travel themselves, or who are being with / looking  after family and friends who cannot come.   I'll be having a cup of tea and scone at the "Old Rooms" at the harbourside and thinking of you.

So
08:16 Temple Meads
08:59 Swindon
09:14 Chippenham

... hear we go!

Also think of those of us stuck in mid Somerset looking after a dog who would gladly join you if they had a station at Langport/Somerton from where they could catch a connecting train to Castle Cary.

One day perhaps...

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2015, 12:23:59 »

Also think of those of us stuck in mid Somerset looking after a dog who would gladly join you if they had a station at Langport/Somerton from where they could catch a connecting train to Castle Cary.

One day perhaps...

Indeed. 

Loading:
51 ex BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)
158 ex SWI» (Swindon - next trains)
200 ex CPM» (Chippenham - next trains)
235 ex CCY
317 ex YPM

Analysis / comment to follow - stopping for a cuppa as I have been talking all the way from Westbury Grin

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2015, 12:53:57 »

Surprised numbers are down on the previous two weeks especially with the great weather and no trains to Weymouth tomorrow due to strike action.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2015, 13:15:35 »

Think they were on my train from Westbury heading to Dawlish Air Show and Newton Abbot horse racing!  Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2015, 13:20:01 »

Surprised numbers are down on the previous two weeks especially with the great weather and no trains to Weymouth tomorrow due to strike action.

I have a couple of thoughts to write up later.   Taking a break in Weymouth now; journey left me rather tired (or rather all that talking with customers!)

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2015, 13:31:26 »

Weather may be great, but the forecast yesterday was not so great and the weather further west bears this out. 
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2015, 13:47:31 »

Forecasts I saw yesterday for Dorset were for a pretty good day before rain arriving late afternoon which is about to cross the channel.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2015, 16:19:48 »

Weather may be great, but the forecast yesterday was not so great and the weather further west bears this out. 

Forecasts I saw yesterday for Dorset were for a pretty good day before rain arriving late afternoon which is about to cross the channel.

So - some thoughts as to numbers.  Lower - yes, but not all that much.

Firstly - reasons external to the Wizard / Rail service

The talk at the Cafe counter in Weymouth is "it's quiet today", and indeed our own business back in Melksham has a Saturday night hotel vacncy for the first time in months - we've been full by this time on a Saturday afternoon for months, and indeed are already fully booked for next weekend.  The beach looks fairly busy, but not rammed as it sometimes is; the girl behind the counter in the nature reserve shop is looking bored with a handful of people around.  I'm suspecting that there's a combination of a weather forecast that wasn't stunning, and this being a weekend immediately before / after a bank holiday.  Chat with local staff reveal the see it as quiet day here too.

Second - reasons relating to the train and its promotion - has it peaked?   I went around and spoke with a large number of passengers to see how they had found out about it.  There's a noticble drop in the number of rail staff / family groups - perhaps accounting for between 12 and 20 people (they're easy to identify - they're concentrated in declassified first ;-) ).  There seem to be somewhat less who found the services on the national rail site / ads at the station - perhaps not peaked, but in proportion to this being a quiet weekend (previous paragraph)?   There's an increase of passengers from Chippenham, more familliy groups, and one heck of a lot of people saying they found us through Facebook, some mentioning "TransWilts".  Very gratifying - although some saying they wish we'd advertised it earlier (and asking if it's running next year).  And that's very interesting because I've eased back on the advertising this week - just a "holding" ad/post to keep the campaign live.  It suggests to me that there's muh more market there.   What's interesting too - talking with these people - that they're very rare rail users (thus far) and were seriously unaware of the ability to get south from Chippenham by train in many cases.   It's no accident that the rear of my handout sheet that reminds people to be back at the Station for 17:28 just happens to be a September to December TransWilts timetable ...

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2015, 20:44:20 »

Loading:
235 ex CCY

I was at Castle Cary today to photograph the West Somerset Steam Express [which turned up with a WCR Class 47  Angry ] and was there early enough to see the Wizard and the immediately previous Weymouth service. There were a significant number (60+ ??) that got on the already-packed 5-car (2x150+153) and none was prepared to wait the extra 30 minutes for the Wizard
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2015, 21:03:13 »

There were a significant number (60+ ??) that got on the already-packed 5-car (2x150+153) and none was prepared to wait the extra 30 minutes for the Wizard

Standard behaviour  Undecided

But yet ... 80 joined the Wizard at YPM and net 35 at TRO» (Trowbridge - next trains)+WSB» (Westbury - next trains)+FRO» (Frome - next trains)+CCY ... I would make an educated guess that 25 left and 60 joined.

267 off Dorchester on the return trip - lots of tired and happy day trippers.  I spend my time learning about their experience rather than counting at each stage.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2015, 21:27:52 »

May I just pedantically point out that Castle Cary's official three letter code is CLC (Castle Cary), not CCY.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2015, 21:44:38 »

May I just pedantically point out that Castle Cary's official three letter code is CLC (Castle Cary), not CCY.

Seems wrong - for me CLC means Cheshire Lines Committee - the wrong part of the country altogether!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: