Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:09 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
20:24 Exmouth to Cardiff Central
20:30 Carmarthen to Bristol Parkway
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
21:00 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:15 Great Malvern to Bristol Temple Meads
22:36 Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 22:29:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Weymouth Wizard via TransWilts  (Read 40377 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 22, 2015, 20:50:48 »

Weymouth Wizard - August timings (these are for 8th; it runs every Saturday in August)

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P01048/2015/08/08/advanced

Bristol Temple Meads 08:16
Swindon 08:59
Chippenham 09:14
Trowbridge 09:40
Westbury 10:02
Weymouth 11:45

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P01278/2015/08/08/advanced

Weymouth 17:28
Westbury 19:16
Trowbridge 19:28
Chippenham 19:49
Swindon 20:04
Bristol Temple Meads 20:54

Off Peak Day Return Swindon to Weymouth via Yeovil (which it does) - ^16.90.  And Groupsave, Senior Railcard etc all apply.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 06:42:14 »

https://www.facebook.com/TransWilts/posts/677100025723376?

Facebook users - please share with your Facebook friends - Thank You

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 06:54:19 »

Off Peak Day Return Swindon to Weymouth via Yeovil (which it does) - ^16.90.  And Groupsave, Senior Railcard etc all apply.

Looking at BR (British Rail(ways)) Fares, it seems you can do Weekend First for ^10 extra each way too.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 07:03:32 »

Looking at BR (British Rail(ways)) Fares, it seems you can do Weekend First for ^10 extra each way too.

Is the train quoted as having First Class though, or is it declassified?

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 07:05:47 »

True - but as you cannot pay Weekend First until you board, you can always take a seat in first class and then pay if asked.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 10:37:34 »

The Wizard is listed as Standard Class only in timetables and booking engines. 1st class seating is declassified. You shouldn't be asked to pay an upgrade.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 21:14:21 »

Grahame, good to bump into you today! Sorry I couldn't hang around any longer, but the 12:03 onwards to Soton from Weymouth awaited my presence!

How did the onboard survey go?  Whilst fairly sparsely populated, there looked to be a good mix of families on a day out at the seaside, older couples off for a few days break as well as a couple of groups of lads on a booze cruise.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 21:23:12 »

And grahame, most importantly for my trip next Saturday, was 1st Class declassified?  Tongue

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
sprinterguard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 21:28:54 »

First class is definitely declassified. But get there early as it fills up!

All opinions are my own.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 06:52:45 »

Grahame, good to bump into you today! Sorry I couldn't hang around any longer, but the 12:03 onwards to Soton from Weymouth awaited my presence!

Phil - a delight to meet you and chat, but once in Weymouth I was in "work mode" at the head of the platform, wishing people a good day, helping people know that - yes - the train would be the same one back and from the same place, and directing them towards the seafront / beach is asked.

How did the onboard survey go?  Whilst fairly sparsely populated, there looked to be a good mix of families on a day out at the seaside, older couples off for a few days break as well as a couple of groups of lads on a booze cruise.

Countwise, there were around 15 to 20 who remained on board at Swindon when the train reversed, and we left there with 142 passengers on board (count) .  There were around 190 after Chippenham (estimate) and 247 after Yeovil (count).  On the return train there were 235 (count) after Dorchester West.    That's on a train capacity of around 500 (7 + 2 formation, mini buffet in Standard, 1.5 coaches of 1st). I'm told there's a very real issue with the Wizard because in "normal times" it runs behind a unit train on the same route, with the unit rammed and people not waiting but wanting to get to the seaside - and indeed I can confirm that from personal experience.

Survey wise, the reason  was talking to people was from a marketing standpoint - looking to learn how they had heard about the service.    The headline data, people spoken to after Chippenham (got round just before Frome)
* 70 passengers - National Rail and other timetable web sites
* 40 passengers - Posters and other information at Stations
* 40 passengers - Facebook and other social media
* 25 passengers - Rail staff and their families from staff sources
* 10 passengers - Railway magazines and the enthusiast network
It's very hard to tie these down sometimes - people hear of things in multiple ways, hear from a friend and they don't know how the friend was triggered, and so on, but something of a picture is formed.

The 70 National Rail and the 10 from Rail magazines were only partly Weymouth day trippers - there's intrinsic traffic in the area, with all sorts of origin and destination stations, rather than day trip specific journeys to Dorchester / Weymouth which probably accounted for around 30 of the 80.

Indications are that passengers enjoyed the day out, felt it was great, will be coming again later this month; there are those who were trying it out before bringing a bigger groups and (overall) the message I have is that the social media stuff I was doing accounted for about 20% of the traffic and that may well continue through the month / grow with a little re-informcement. 

There was a concern (on my part) that either the "Wizard" would be embarrassingly empty yesterday, or stuffed (one can dream wildly) ... with "buy on the day" tickets, and new metrics, I could only guess.   As it was, I think I'm fairly happy with the results.   I also had a great chance to do a lot of walking around Weymouth and take some great pictures which I will enjoy looking back at, and selectively publicise over coming weeks.

As Phil says too - yes - an excellent mix.  I might have expected more families, but family and friends take time to organise, and there was a feeling that publicity was late in the day for 1st August.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 18:12:43 »

Another great day yesterday ...

Weymouth Wizard, 8th August 2015
- 29 on from Bristol
- 192 on leaving Swindon (up from around 150 the previous week)
- 261 on leaving Castle Cary
- 340 on leaving Maiden Newton
- 333 into Weymouth
Plenty of intermediate traffic;   middle carriages distinctly busy, "A" was quiet (as, I suppose, it should be!).   Fun had by all. 

Please share our Facebook post for friends in Swindon and Chippenham - Thank You!
        https://www.facebook.com/TransWilts/posts/681975401902505

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 19:38:04 »

... middle carriages distinctly busy, "A" was quiet (as, I suppose, it should be!). 

ROFL (silently).  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 11:51:16 »

15th August 2015

63 on from Bristol
279 on from Swindon
307 on from Chippenham
345 on from Trowbridge
339 on from Westbury
(( Loss of connecting traffic from Pewsey due to blockage at Bedwyn ))
(( 15 mins delay due to cow on line at Bruton! ))
385 on from Yeovil

Many thanks to Bobm and thetrout for these figures.

Edit to add - Noted that Bristol Rovers are playing Yeovil - however, and fans would have gotten off at Yeovil so numbers south from there aren't subject to distortion.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:00:59 by grahame » Logged

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 18:56:40 »

Return train 345 from Weymouth (always lower numbers as there are 2 later return opportunities) but that rose (20 off, 50 on estimated) to 374 from Yeovil.  Which ain't too shabby!

John R

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 22:00:52 »

Given the numbers joining from Swindon and Chippenham, this would appear to prove that there is demand for a high quality service in future years. Is there any thought being given as to how this demand could be met, when presumably the Wizard reverts to its normal route?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: