Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:58:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Question 2 for Ben Rule - 19.12 - Buffet cars v Trolley service  (Read 58665 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 20:03:43 »

I think the members of this forum do not necessarily represent a good cross section of the travelling public.

My preference is definitely for a trolley service as I do not need to carry all my belongings to the buffet car.  I suspect most other passengers would also prefer this.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 20:07:27 »

I think the members of this forum do not necessarily represent a good cross section of the travelling public.

My preference is definitely for a trolley service as I do not need to carry all my belongings to the buffet car.  I suspect most other passengers would also prefer this.

Mine too. when travelling with children its an inconvenience to go down to the buffet with children. I rarely visit the buffet.
On XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services I often buy from the trolley

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 20:12:09 »

I ... avoid ... expressing personal preference on these things too often as I'm just one passenger; in the past when trains were quiet I enjoyed the walk to the buffet car on long distance trains.  These days, fear of loosing my seat and with so much publicity about keeping baggage mean that - as a lone traveller - I don't risk the buffet.  So trolley wins for, alas, reasons that don't thrill me.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 20:13:05 »

And I'll add that I'm not against a high quality trolley service.

I am though against obfuscation and spin and remain unconvinced there was any intention to do things different if the survey result had been different.

That Ben Rule has said that the methodology of the survey is not to be revealed speaks volumes.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 20:16:58 »

Judging by the much greater interest in this question than any of the others, I think that's true!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 20:57:22 »

Perhaps much more revealing were the in-service trials we carried out across the network, which effectively sold twice as much as we would normally expect to sell at the buffet car. This is not simply asking someone's opinion, rather measuring their actual behaviour, which is much more useful in my view.

I appreciate I've missed the boat here. But something doesn't sit well with me on this. When was this trial carried out?

Was this the trial of removing Buffet Cars and having a Trolley in Coach A at the front of the train? I thought this was done as an attempt to decrease journey times by removing the 2nd heaviest vehicle in the consist? But when it made very little difference and/or proved impractical we saw the Buffets come back?

If it really was the case that customers preferred a trolley then why did FGW (First Great Western) decide to go with Micro Buffets instead of trolleys?

I don't doubt that this survey was done; however I never got the opportunity to participate. But between January and March 2014 we saw some of the biggest disruption on the network in it's 175 year history if you recall... So was that really a true and fair analysis of the market based on a typical operating period? Many people might have just been glad there was a train running at all...

There are plenty of more sophisticated trolleys on the market that keep things hot, and keep things cool, and even serve a proper cup of coffee. A quick google will give you some idea.

But if you board the train and sit on it for an hour or 2 and it never passes you then it doesn't matter how fancy it is. Strongly playing devils advocate here. But XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) sometimes announce a static trolley in Coach F. So if you make your way to the trolley and ask for a complimentary drink if travelling First Class you won't get one. Because the host will say all the complimentary coffee cups are in Coach A. So the trolley in Coach F is of practically no good to me. Even if it can make a 5* Cafe Latte...

Sorry folks, but some of these responses just dont cut the mustard for me Lips sealed Undecided Embarrassed

*corrected a typo - increase journey times was meant to say decrease journey times. Thank you broadgage for pointing that out Smiley
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 12:31:17 by thetrout » Logged

Grin Grin Grin Grin
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2017, 15:53:39 »

A cynic like me might suspect that FGW (First Great Western) "have generally not been very good at articulating what we intend to offer in terms of food and drink" because they wanted to conceal the fact that the new trains don't have buffets, until it was too late to alter this.
For some year on these forums I have offered as an opinion, and more recently I have stated as a fact that "the new trains wont have buffets"
Many respected members of these forums felt that such views were unduly negative.

"of course they will have buffets"
"they will probably have buffets"
"a buffet could be installed if the TOC (Train Operating Company) want one"
"a buffet could be retrofitted"

And eventually an admission that they don't have buffets.

I too share the doubts expressed by others as to how precisely hot food is to be served in standard class from a trolley, I also have doubts about the sufficiency of trolley stocks of chilled beer. I have observed very substantial volumes of beer being sold on some trains and doubt that a trolley could cope.

Sorry this is your view, but we've not sought to hide it. Staff started looking at and giving feedback on the plans for the new trains around three years ago.

I think many of the concerns you mention are based on the idea that somehow we think we can deliver this service with something similar to the current trolleys. We can't.
There are plenty of more sophisticated trolleys on the market that keep things hot, and keep things cool, and even serve a proper cup of coffee. A quick google will give you some idea.

Edit note: Quote marks fixed, purely for clarity. CfN.

Has anyone seen one of these new "more sophisticated trolleys ----that keep things hot, and keep things cool" Or seen a list of what it is proposed to sell from the trolley ?
Or perhaps heard precisely how the hot meal service in standard class is to operate, or has it been dropped.

My crystal ball says that the new trolleys will be broadly similar to the old ones, and the great improvements quoted above have probably already turned into an "aspiration".

I know that this is an old thread, but it is again topical as the new DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) are about to enter service.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 13:40:50 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 13:16:21 »

Probably appear all at once once the IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) are running?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2017, 10:58:50 »

Has anyone seen one of these new "more sophisticated trolleys ----that keep things hot, and keep things cool" Or seen a list of what it is proposed to sell from the trolley ?
Or perhaps heard precisely how the hot meal service in standard class is to operate, or has it been dropped.

My crystal ball says that the new trolleys will be broadly similar to the old ones, and the great improvements quoted above have probably already turned into an "aspiration".

I know that this is an old thread, but it is again topical as the new DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) are about to enter service.

I haven't seen one of the new trolleys or other equipment, but they are going to be using Atlas Carts for the First Class service, which has an improved range of items over the current offering (croissants, sandwiches etc.)

Other information you might be interested in:
1) A planned six month trial of hot food in standard class (no doubt a cynic like you will think that the results of the trial have already been determined).
2) The trolley uses a 'high-tech hot water urn exchange system' which means it can easily and quickly be topped up with hot water on board the train.
3) Several training runs between Bristol Parkway and Slough with staff testing all the procedures, equipment and products on the move including hot food from the steam ovens and the new coffee brewer.
4) A Pullman Working Group has been set up and tasked with looking at how they transfer what they deliver to their Pullman customers today and what they'll be doing on the IET (Intercity Express Train)'s.  First Pullman on the IET expected to be the morning breakfast train from Paddington to Swansea early next year, with the west country services due to be rolled out Summer 2018.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 11:01:52 »

4) A Pullman Working Group has been set up and tasked with looking at how they transfer what they deliver to their Pullman customers today and what they'll be doing on the IET (Intercity Express Train)'s.  First Pullman on the IET expected to be the morning breakfast train from Paddington to Swansea early next year, with the west country services due to be rolled out Summer 2018.

At the risk of being pedantic - but just to be clear - is that the existing 10:45 Paddington-Swansea Brunch train or are we talking about an additional earlier train serving Breakfast?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2017, 11:17:45 »

It just says 'the Swansea breakfast train from Paddington to Swansea' so I'm unable clarify, Bob.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2017, 06:43:39 »

Two very interesting replies on Facebook linked to the "Ask the Director" session yesterday that we have discussed (here)

Samyutha Shewchuk: Will the new trains have catering on them

Julie Collier: There will be an "at seat trolley service" except on the Pulman services

Peter Skuce: When you introduce the Class 800 IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) trains, will you expand the Pullman Dining Restaurant to more services? Also will it still be possible to use the Pullman Dining Restaurant with a Standard Class ticket?

Julie Collier: Only Pulman services will have kitchens/buffet cars. Other services will have an "at seat trolley service", as voted for by customers.

Is it just me - or does that read, twice over, as if there will not be a trolley on Pullman services - it's either a trolley or a pullman service.  Normally I would look at such a suggestion as a slip in wording, but it reads that way twice in very different answers, so I do wonder.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2017, 06:58:28 »

Sounds the me like Julie was just briefed to avoid talk of buffets at all costs, and as a result made some incorrect/confusing statements. 

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2017, 08:50:11 »

It does read that way to me too, Graham. Might be worth a follow-up, rather than simply assuming she's wrong. Working out her email address isn't difficult.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2017, 08:55:41 »

She does not specifically say Pullmans will not have a trolley service but she does imply it. It does seem to be duplicating resources to have a trolley and a buffet (or dining car or whatever they want to call it nowadays) on the same train. Having put the kitchen in, they want people to use it rather than buy from the trolley, surely! But I note she can't spell Pullman (or is it that I can't spell Pulman?). Needs checking. Could be there's no decision yet.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: