Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:07:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question 2 for Ben Rule - 19.12 - Buffet cars v Trolley service  (Read 58659 times)
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2017, 22:34:21 »

I reckon if the GWR (Great Western Railway) statements are correct, the Pullman service will have a very short lifespan. After the reduction in 1st class capacity (any many questioning whether it should exist at all), I cannot see the general public or DfT» (Department for Transport - about) would tolerate certain long distance services having no buffet/shop service to standard class whatsoever when there is a full restaurant (albeit paid for) available to 1st class customers.

However, I suspect that the GWR representative has made a mistake.

Why would the Pullman service have a short lifespan, the First Class section is roughly the same name as it is in the IET (Intercity Express Train), greater infact in a 10 car set. And I was told 2 years ago by GWR that they even want to expand the service where possible. Why would they want to loose something that brings in money for them?

Same reason first class now has about half the capacity it used to - government and media pressure. Quite rightly, few would tolerate having a full restaurant service on a train with no other opportunity for food/drink in standard class. I thought I had made my point quite clearly in my original post?

As I correctly predicted, the GWR spokesperson who suggested there would be no trolley service on Pullman trains was incorrect, so this is and was a largely academic discussion.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2018, 19:49:35 »

Ben Rule last night at the ACORP (Association of Community Rail Partnerships) Awards....every IET (Intercity Express Train) *will* have a trolley (or two on a 10car & I think, 9cars) in Standard! The parking bays for these are unaffected by whether the train is a Pullman. There will also be a 1st class trolley (again, two on a 10car) but when I asked whether that includes Pullmans, he wasn't sure about 5car IETs or whether a member of the Pullman crew would serve the non-diners in the same 1st class area. There would be in the second 1st class section on 10car IETs. They will be higher spec trolleys as discussed previously.

Hopefully, this is now settled

Well the new units are now in use, and only one trolley in a 5+5 trains seems to be a regular feature. If indeed a trolley appears at all.
I presume that the hot food offer in standard class has become an aspiration.
And what about the higher spec trolleys, also dropped I assume.

So for all the high sounding promises and words, we have ended up with outer suburban DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit), with no buffet, and SOMETIMES a basic trolley broadly similar to that offered on secondary routes and outer suburban services.
So much for so called inter city trains.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2018, 21:18:13 »

I will admit I’ve only travelled on an IET (Intercity Express Train) a couple of dozen times but I cannot remember an occasion when a trolley didn’t come through. 

More interesting is I’ve only bought something on around 25% of times.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2018, 21:23:18 »

And whilst it proves nothing I've travelled 3 times on a double set IET (Intercity Express Train) and each time there was a trolley in the set I was in.

I've made the one purchase, so beat bobm with a 33.3% purchase to trolley appearance ratio. Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2018, 21:33:46 »

And whilst it proves nothing I've travelled 3 times on a double set IET (Intercity Express Train) and each time there was a trolley in the set I was in.

I've made the one purchase, so beat bobm with a 33.3% purchase to trolley appearance ratio. Wink

I will admit I’ve only travelled on an IET a couple of dozen times but I cannot remember an occasion when a trolley didn’t come through. 

More interesting is I’ve only bought something on around 25% of times.

Done a fair number of journeys - but mostly quite short so not always seen the trolley.   Did see it on one occasion coem through first, take one look, decide it couldn't get through and turn back.   Mind you, that was a service with just 5 cars available ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2018, 21:58:17 »

Yes I’d forgotten that.  I was with you!
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2018, 23:40:06 »

It's sad to see that despite promises to the contrary by Mr Rule

Quote from: BenRule
There are plenty of more sophisticated trolleys on the market that keep things hot, and keep things cool, and even serve a proper cup of coffee. A quick google will give you some idea.

The trolleys are not more sophisticated and the choice (especially in coffee terms) has been decreased. It will be interesting to see how hot food is done in standard and if they use the same trolleys for that.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2018, 23:43:07 »

I’ll see if I can find out anything more about the hot food situation.  It was certainly very much on the agenda last I heard, but waiting for enough of the new trains to be in operation to make it worthwhile starting.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2019, 20:26:27 »

Ben Rule last night at the ACORP (Association of Community Rail Partnerships) Awards....every IET (Intercity Express Train) *will* have a trolley (or two on a 10car & I think, 9cars) in Standard! The parking bays for these are unaffected by whether the train is a Pullman. There will also be a 1st class trolley (again, two on a 10car) but when I asked whether that includes Pullmans, he wasn't sure about 5car IETs or whether a member of the Pullman crew would serve the non-diners in the same 1st class area. There would be in the second 1st class section on 10car IETs. They will be higher spec trolleys as discussed previously.

Hopefully, this is now settled

Yes it seems settled now.
Only one trolley on a 9 car, if that.
Often one trolley on a 5+5, if that.
Trolley often static or hidden in first class, if provided at all.
Higher spec trolleys sunk without trace.
Hot food in cattle class also sunk without trace.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2019, 20:30:31 »

I’ll see if I can find out anything more about the hot food situation.  It was certainly very much on the agenda last I heard, but waiting for enough of the new trains to be in operation to make it worthwhile starting.

And what has happened now that virtually all the new trains are in use ?
Nothing ! apart from a possible small scale trial.

plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2019, 22:00:08 »

Remember, the will of the people voted for this.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 09:09:22 by plymothian » Logged

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2019, 00:44:47 »

And what has happened now that virtually all the new trains are in use ?
Nothing ! apart from a possible small scale trial.

As I think I said a month or two ago, possibly on another thread?  There was a small scale trial.  It suggested that there would be losses of around £40k per financial period if it was expanded throughout the IET (Intercity Express Train) fleet.  I then supported your original argument that any such trial was probably designed to prove that the bare minimum offering was the best way forward from the outset.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: