09:09 Gloucester to Weymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 10:28:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question 5 to Ben Rule - 19.48 - Any other areas for comment?  (Read 5668 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: July 13, 2015, 19:48:09 »

This discussion was triggered by a comment from First Great Western that there are some recent topics on the forum which may not be totally accurate, and it was set up as an opportunity to allow such matters to be raised.  Four of our members have raised points, and we've had an interesting discussion but - over to you Ben - is there anything else that you wanted to comment on from the forum that's not been raised?   I'm very conscious that we've not had questions on the electrification schedule, whether it will be completed all the way to Swansea (from Cardiff) to Oxford (from Didcot) and to Newbury (from Reading) nor on the current timing of that electrification and the knock on effect on cascades and their scope, nor on how current industrial issues can be resolved in a industry where - surely - everyone should be working together for everyone's benefit - company, managers, staff, and - please - the passengers and wannabe passengers

Are there any areas you would like to add comment?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 19:53:55 »

I have just had the domestic authorities sneak in a question to me ...

When First Great Western obtained the current franchise a few years ago, a whole new look was rolled out, and although there was a lot of frustration felt by passengers that more emphasis seemed to be put on getting staff in new uniforms, no one can deny First's "look" was fresh, dynamic, and it really set the bar high for brand recognition.

Now I understand that an all-new look is being unveiled, with a plain green background and retro-looking lettering. Not only do I feel that this is incredibly wasteful in times of austerity, but the present branding has been so successful, so why change it?

Totally unfair to expect an answer, but I wonder how many more wonder the same thing?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
BenRule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 20:00:04 »

This discussion was triggered by a comment from First Great Western that there are some recent topics on the forum which may not be totally accurate, and it was set up as an opportunity to allow such matters to be raised.  Four of our members have raised points, and we've had an interesting discussion but - over to you Ben - is there anything else that you wanted to comment on from the forum that's not been raised?   I'm very conscious that we've not had questions on the electrification schedule, whether it will be completed all the way to Swansea (from Cardiff) to Oxford (from Didcot) and to Newbury (from Reading) nor on the current timing of that electrification and the knock on effect on cascades and their scope, nor on how current industrial issues can be resolved in a industry where - surely - everyone should be working together for everyone's benefit - company, managers, staff, and - please - the passengers and wannabe passengers

Are there any areas you would like to add comment?

There are loads of topics we could discuss. I guess the one I expected to be asked about was our proposals for the operation of SETs (Super Express Train (now IET)), the operation of the doors and the suggestion that the trains might operate without a Train Manager in disruption. This is a key issue in the current dispute with RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) that caused last week's strikes.

The main messages I would like to get across about this is:

1) We absolutely get that customers want helpful, highly trained staff on board. That is why we have said we will always plan to have a Train Manager on an SET. Even those that replace journeys currently operated by Turbos. That is why we will be recruiting 25 extra TMs(resolve) to operate SETs.

2) The SET comes with equipment that means there are benefits in the driver operating the doors. These benefits are around journey times. Getting the driver to operate the doors is faster. On a congested railway in the Thames Valley the time saving will help to make the service run smoother. There are also safety benefits of the driver using the CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision). He will always be able to see all the doors along the train during the dispatch process.

3) We have proposed that the train operates without a Train Manager if one cannot be found immediately. This does happen sometimes during disruption. Despite what people have suggested having additional standby turns does not completely solve this. We have added a number over the past 2 years. Sod's Law says they are never where you need them to be when things go wrong. At the moment if we are short of a Train Manager at Paddington during disruption we either cancel the train or we put people on a Turbo and take them to (say) Reading where we start the HST (High Speed Train). If SET can be operated with just the Driver why would we not want to let customers stay on the SET and pick the TM up at Reading if the alternative is a cancelled train or an overcrowded journey on a DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) Turbo?

4) Despite what people have suggested this is NOT the thin end of the wedge with on train staffing. Our customers want staff on board our long distance services. We would have lots of unhappy customers if we started taking them away. However, in times of serious disruption customers main priority is that there train just runs to get them home.
BenRule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 20:05:09 »

I have just had the domestic authorities sneak in a question to me ...

When First Great Western obtained the current franchise a few years ago, a whole new look was rolled out, and although there was a lot of frustration felt by passengers that more emphasis seemed to be put on getting staff in new uniforms, no one can deny First's "look" was fresh, dynamic, and it really set the bar high for brand recognition.

Now I understand that an all-new look is being unveiled, with a plain green background and retro-looking lettering. Not only do I feel that this is incredibly wasteful in times of austerity, but the present branding has been so successful, so why change it?

Totally unfair to expect an answer, but I wonder how many more wonder the same thing?

We will be implementing the new branding in a way that minimises the incremental cost of doing it. SETs (Super Express Train (now IET)) will have to be painted in one colour or another, so we will be painting them in green.

This railway has the greatest heritage of any railway in the world. Our customers and staff feel a great affinity for GWR (Great Western Railway) and there is benefit for us as a company and for the industry in tapping into this.
BenRule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 20:33:59 »

However, in times of serious disruption customers main priority is that there train just runs to get them home.

CRINGE!

However, in times of serious disruption customers' main priority is that THEIR train just runs to get them home.

Sorry about that!
Western Enterprise

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 15:22:04 »

We will be implementing the new branding in a way that minimises the incremental cost of doing it. SETs (Super Express Train (now IET)) will have to be painted in one colour or another, so we will be painting them in green.

This railway has the greatest heritage of any railway in the world. Our customers and staff feel a great affinity for GWR (Great Western Railway) and there is benefit for us as a company and for the industry in tapping into this.
I must admit I did a double take of a buffet on one of the sleeper sets the other day; it looked black but upon closer inspection it was dark green.  The old GWR does have the greatest heritage affinity value of any of the old lines, whether it was the great way round or the holiday line of bucket and spades. Just like British Racing Green in the automotive world, there are some colours which look best, green is perhaps a better one.
Is it wasteful?: perhaps, but when repaints are required every few years anyway, glad to hear the new SETs will be green!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: