Foundation, Beatties of London (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 23:09:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[200] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[54] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[48] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[23] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[22] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reversal at Romsey - question on the possible  (Read 6110 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 26, 2015, 09:48:16 »

Trains coming from Chandler's Ford reverse every hour at Romsey, and I note a Sunday morning train direct to Southampton starting there, and also occasional trains terminating there at times of disruption.

Question - can trains arriving from Southampton direct reverse at Romsey, and if so at which platforms?  While I'm "at" asking - can it be done at both platforms from Chandler's Ford, and do reversals from Salisbury need to shunt, or is there a crossover on the Salisbury side?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 10:19:09 »

Trains from Southampton, via either Chandlers Ford or Redbridge, always terminate in the Salisbury bound platform (down Salisbury - platform 2), and there are signalled moves for reversing back south towards both routes, via a crossover immediately south of the platform, I don't think there is a signalled move from Chandlers Ford into the southbound platform (up Salisbury - platform 1).   Trains arriving from Chandlers Ford use normal LH running over the final two track length, (about ^ mile I think), into Romsey, and as far as the drawings in the online sectional appendix are concerned they are on the 'main route', the Redbridge direction is drawn as the branch, surprisingly.

Here's a Saturday of reversals at Romsey, showing all passenger services arriving in, and departing from, P2:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/ROM/2015/09/12/0600-2000?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

The track layout requires that a train from Salisbury must enter the southbound platform, and there is another trailing crossover at the north end of the station to allow it to return to Salisbury, I don't know for sure if that is a passenger signalled route, but there seems to be no other practical way of reversing directly towards Salisbury, there are no facing crossovers on the line in that area.

I have had a dig around in real time trains to see if I can confirm what happens with a south to north reversal.   Here we are, in late September FGW (First Great Western) are running via Eastleigh and Chandlers Ford during a Southampton closure, and SWT (South West Trains) are running a Salisbury to Romsey service.  The latter arrive in P1, and shunt to P2 via a particular signal:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Q88041/2015/09/27/advanced

Unfortunately I can't confirm the whereabouts of that signal, but give me a few days and I can...

Hope that helps.

Paul
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 11:40:45 by paul7755 » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 13:45:13 »

Unfortunately I can't confirm the whereabouts of that signal, but give me a few days and I can...

Hope that helps.

That is of tremendous help, thanks Paul - if (in some ways) confirming the impossible; confirms that the turn around of the Romsey 6 HAS to be quick, for example.  It does suggest that the "6" could become a "d" if traffic in the Southampton area allowed it - but that would have flow implications.   However current system is not bust apart from incredibly long layover of train in Salisbury, and doesn't need fixing south of there. And it still needs a reasonable layover "up north" anyway for robustness and perhaps PNBs (Personal Needs Break)

Thanks for the offer to check the signal - if you do, great, to complete the answer but it's probably an interesting sideshoot.   In any case, turning a southbound train one stop before a city is usually a silly thing to do as typically there's a big flow of business available to the city (I can think of one place in FGW (First Great Western) land where it happens every day, though!)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 15:25:28 »

E995 is a ground disc signal facing towards platform 1, situated on the up line towards Chandlers Ford just beyond the junction, so it allows for the shunt move from P1 back into P2.

Paul
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 19:08:13 by paul7755 » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: