Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 18:10:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What should be running From Ryde to Shanklin in 5 years time?  (Voting closed: June 26, 2018, 16:57:05)
Current trains - 2 (7.7%)
Newer cascaded tubes - 11 (42.3%)
Next generation tube trains - 5 (19.2%)
Trams / light rail with streeet running - 7 (26.9%)
Buses - 0 (0%)
Something else - 1 (3.8%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Island Line services, Isle of Wight. General discussion  (Read 57739 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 05, 2021, 20:39:47 »

The fact there are still only two of the five 484 units on the Island might also be a factor.
At least two of the three at Eastleigh have been out and about recently, often overnight although not every path has necessarily been used.

I suppose it’s possible that all 5 can actually move…

Paul
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 24, 2021, 17:38:41 »

Another of the 484s has arrived on the island.

https://twitter.com/SW_Help/status/1430186767014109190
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 09, 2021, 15:42:51 »

As I write, (1542 Thur 9th), there’s a 484 on the pier, stopped short of the station.

https://youtu.be/UkmhN7P8U-4

Paul
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 10, 2021, 10:28:22 »

I stayed there last weekend, was gutted not to get on the new trains, especially as you could see them there ready to go
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #169 on: September 17, 2021, 16:05:04 »

From Rail Advent

The London Transport Traction Group and The Llanelli & Mynydd Mawr Railway have announced that two Ex-London Underground trains will soon become residents in South Wales, at the heritage railway located near Llanelli.

This is thought to be the first time that a tube train (1938 stock) has visited Wales and both groups say that they are looking forward to working together.

The London Transport Traction Group was originally set up to secure one of these trains for preservation, having been in service in London and the Isle of Wight, but ended up saving two!

I know we planned to adopt one (more) greyhound and ended up with two, but doing it with trains is on an all together different level!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 22, 2021, 13:44:15 »

Trains “set” to return on 1st November.

https://www.southwesternrailway.com/other/news-and-media/news/2021/september/island-line-set-to-reopen-on-1-november

Wednesday

The upgraded Island Line is due to reopen on 1 November, as long as a final round of train safety tests is successfully completed
A series of complications have delayed the £26m project, but the new trains and enhanced infrastructure will transform the customer experience
South Western Railway (SWR» (South Western Railway - about)) has today announced that the upgraded Island Line is set to reopen on 1 November, subject to a final round of train safety tests being successfully completed.

Once reopened, customers will return to a transformed Island Line, with new trains running along upgraded infrastructure and through improved stations.

The new trains will significantly improve the customer experience, with upgrades ranging from better interiors to plug sockets, free WiFi and wheelchair spaces.

As well as testing the new trains, SWR staff have been busy improving the rail infrastructure and stations on the Island. Amongst other enhancements, the Island Line tracks have been upgraded to ensure customers can enjoy a smoother ride.

The £26 million project, which has been funded by the Department for Transport, Isle of Wight Council and Solent Local Enterprise Partnership, has regrettably taken longer to complete than first anticipated. This has been due to several factors including train testing complications, the pandemic and even the flash flooding which engulfed the Isle of Wight earlier this summer.

During testing, the new Class 484 Island Line trains have been affected by software issues, which SWR and train supplier Vivarail have made good progress in solving through further testing. The final phase of testing is key to the delivery of a safe and reliable railway.

Commenting, Claire Mann, Managing Director of South Western Railway, said:
“We are really pleased that the Island Line is set to reopen on 1 November, providing that a final round of testing allows us to safely introduce our new trains into passenger service.

“It goes without saying that the safety of our customers and colleagues is the absolute priority for us, which is why it’s so important to get these final preparations right.

“When the Island Line reopens, the new trains and upgraded infrastructure will give a real boost to the customer experience, delivering the modern, punctual and accessible railway that people expect and deserve.

“We are sorry that this project has taken longer to deliver than we first hoped, with a series of complications sadly delaying re-opening. However, we are confident that the transformed Island Line will be worth wait, and we are so excited to welcome locals and visitors back onboard!”
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 22, 2021, 17:02:17 »

There’s a recent video of four car testing:
https://youtu.be/87H4E_ReJ_4

Paul
RichT54

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 05, 2021, 11:25:34 »

Here is a recent video of a class 484 doing test runs through Ryde Esplanade and on the pier. Despite the various rumours, it looks like there are no problems going through the tunnel at normal speeds  Smiley

https://youtu.be/ZSqiT1RdfiQ
RichT54

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 20, 2021, 20:17:48 »

Here is a video of a class 484 pushing the last of the class 483s to Sandown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCOi-Ykf_ik

Is that coupling adapter ever likely to be used anywhere else in the future, or is it just too specialized?

« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 13:39:53 by RichT54 » Logged
RichT54

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 29, 2021, 11:33:35 »

According to the Island Echo, it's been confirmed that the Island Line will reopen on Monday (1/11/21).

South Western Railway says that the first Class 484 passenger service will depart Ryde St John’s at 05:35 on Monday, calling at Ryde Esplanade at 05:39 and then Ryde Pier Head at 05:41. The train will then head back down the line passing through Brading, Sandown and Lake before arriving in Shanklin at 06:10.

https://www.islandecho.co.uk/confirmed-island-line-trains-to-return-from-monday-morning/

Any members here going to be there for the first run?
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 29, 2021, 21:32:28 »

Any members here going to be there for the first run?

No but it will be an even better reason to retry my previously failed attempt, due to bad weather, at doing the IoW Hovercraft service back in 2019.
RichT54

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 01, 2021, 10:46:12 »

It looks like the service has got off to a bit of a shaky start:

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 01, 2021, 11:05:43 »

Running as a four car apparently, as seen on FB.  So the hourly service can’t be due to lack of stock?
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 01, 2021, 12:05:35 »

My understanding is the hourly service is because the Wightlink ferry is only hourly at this time of year. Not sure what was promised before launch?
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 01, 2021, 12:17:43 »

I'm headed over to Isla Wigit today. Overnight stay. Will post pictures and observations here tonight and tomorrow.

As I said elsewhere I'm taking a very roundabout journey to get to Southampton for Red Funnel to Cowes. I decided I'd go 1st Class on the way out as it was only £30.45 from Templecombe to Cowes East with my Railcard. Knowing I was going to be using GWR (Great Western Railway) from Exeter to Reading and CrossCountry from Reading to Southampton made the decision to chose 1st Class a no brainer at that price.

Glad I chose to. The 1115 from Exeter to Reading is heaving in Standard.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
  Print  

Jump to: