21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 20:05:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[333] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[69] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[53] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[30] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[28] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: New trains for the South West - announcement.  (Read 76741 times)
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2016, 13:03:26 »

http://www.railway-technology.com/news/newshitachi-rail-europe-19-at300s-transpennine-express-4855301

Hitachi Rail Europe wins orders for 19 AT300s for TransPennine Express

No doubt the north will have them running before us  Roll Eyes
alan_s

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2016, 19:47:26 »

I wonder if they will get buffets  Wink
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2016, 20:55:07 »

Don't start!

Now, please!
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2016, 21:16:56 »

Don't start!

AFAIK (as far as I know) at least some of the GWR (Great Western Railway) units are even having proper kitchens as a franchise commitment and supposedly will be better than the HSTs (High Speed Train)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2016, 23:23:56 »

The IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) have kitchens, and I would expect the very similar AT300 units for the longer distance services will also have kitchens.
What we don't yet know is whether or not a buffet will be provided, personally I rather doubt it, based on the IEP saga. The survey to prove that a buffet is not wanted has already been done.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2016, 11:28:13 »

The IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) have kitchens, and I would expect the very similar AT300 units for the longer distance services will also have kitchens.
What we don't yet know is whether or not a buffet will be provided, personally I rather doubt it, based on the IEP saga. The survey to prove that a buffet is not wanted has already been done.

Whilst buffets and kitchens definitely have their place, particularly on long distance services, they do take up a lot of space and are relatively expensive to run.

There's also the argument that many people prefer to bring their own food and drink on board (much cheaper, coffee from a proper espresso machine etc), and that the young in particular are reluctant to pack up their electronic gadgets and wander to a buffet. So in some respects I think wanting a buffet may be a generational thing.

To be honest, the only time in the last few years I've bought anything from a buffet was a cup of tea for me and the missus because we got on at Pewsey and there wasn't anywhere to buy a coffee there. 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2016, 12:17:38 »

The longer journey times of the Penzance route should mean a buffet is easier to justify, plus some of the smaller stations in Cornwall don't have extensive places to buy before you board.  Whether that is enough to tip the balance with GWR (Great Western Railway) is another thing.  Certainly I agree with you on trips from London to Bristol which will, at not much longer than an hour post-IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.), probably not gain enough patronage to make them viable - you need to sell more than a handful of coffee's - so not a problem as long as there's a 'high-quality'* trolley service.  Though it is a shame and affects the prestige of the services concerned.

The argument has certainly been had on this forum several times over the years.

* By 'high-quality' I mean one where the urn can be filled with hot water (rather than slowly going cold) and basic items such as crisps/chocolate/cans can be replenished on the train from the kitchen as and when needed, and other items such as sandwiches can be replenished en-route from several service stations.  Some form of hot food ordering service on the trains with a working kitchen would be nice, or perhaps the way XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) are trying to do hot food - has anyone tried it yet?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2016, 11:42:40 »

Some form of hot food ordering service on the trains with a working kitchen would be nice, or perhaps the way XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) are trying to do hot food - has anyone tried it yet?[/i]

My last journey on XC / Virgin, last month, had me sustained by food bought in Sainsbury on the way to temple Meads, and one of those pints in Birmingham.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2016, 12:54:01 »

I have partaken of the breakfast option on CrossCountry. That was on a HST (High Speed Train) service where there was no need to pre-order. A good sized full English, but quality was only average. That's to be expected with reheated ready meals.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: