Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:39:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Electric to Swansea - this decade, or next?  (Read 17659 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 31, 2015, 00:52:13 »

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/electrification-great-western-mainline-could-9762228?

It isn't yet clear if and for how long the project to electrify the railways may be delayed - but one magazine has suggested it could be two years

Railway experts have claimed that electrification on the Great Western Mainline may be delayed for two years.

If they^re right, it means that wires on the newly electrified railway might not be seen at Swansea until 2020.

It has already been suggested by ministers that work on the track may be delayed, but as of yet no clear date for when work may be completed has been provided. The line to Swansea is currently planned to be completed by 2018.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 00:56:38 »

Meanwhile

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/13521016.Croxley_Rail_Link_will_not_be_completed_until_2020__documents_reveal_/?

Croxley Rail Link will not be completed until 2020, documents reveal.

The Croxley Rail Link will not be finished until 2020, documents have revealed.

The price for the rail link has rocketed from ^120 million to ^284 million and this forced the government to step in and ask Transport for London to take over the scheme last year.

A TFL (Transport for London) timetable has revealed trains will not start running until December 2019 and the project will not be completed until March 2020 at the earliest, according to Greater London Authority documents.

When the finance package for the scheme was approved by Chancellor George Osborne in this year^s budget, Mayor Dorothy Thornhill said trains would start running in 2018.

When the plans for the Croxley Rail Link were first approved in 2011, the rail link was supposed to be finished in 2016.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 01:20:41 »

It's all apparently becoming a bit like 'how long is a piece of string?' when calculating such time scales.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Kernowman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 18:53:23 »

When the wires do reach Swansea, are there any plans to have standby locos along the Paddington to Swansea route? In a similar fashion to West Coast 57s East Coast 67s and Anglia 47s, or am I just fantasizing? Shocked
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 19:25:37 »

When the wires do reach Swansea, are there any plans to have standby locos along the Paddington to Swansea route? In a similar fashion to West Coast 57s East Coast 67s and Anglia 47s, or am I just fantasizing? Shocked

37s anyone?

As I understand it, the standby engines will be carried on all the long distance electric trains

4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 15:21:15 »

37s anyone?

Nah! much too modern! When I were a lad Reading's Down line pilot was a 69XX Hall and the Up Line pilot a 43XX Mogul. Later these progressed to being a Castle and a Manor...
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 18:36:42 »

As I understand it, the standby engines will be carried on all the long distance electric trains

Is that Donkey Class? 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 19:48:49 »

37s anyone?

Nah! much too modern! When I were a lad Reading's Down line pilot was a 69XX Hall and the Up Line pilot a 43XX Mogul. Later these progressed to being a Castle and a Manor...

Here are your modern choices ... class of 7!

Kernowman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 23:45:54 »

37s anyone?

hmmmmmm                                    I'm a bit confused!   Huh

My original post alluded to whether 'Thunderbird' locos would be positioned along the Paddington to Swansea route in case there are any problems with the wires or problems/diversions away from the wires, with the electric Class 801s.

'As I understand it, the standby engines will be carried on all the long distance electric trains'
Are you saying that the 801s will also have diesel engines for use in an emergency? (If so I guess that this will make them bimodes like the 800s)?

Shocked 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 23:51:28 by Kernowman » Logged
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 01:16:59 »

Are you saying that the 801s will also have diesel engines for use in an emergency? (If so I guess that this will make them bimodes like the 800s)?
Yes, that has been widely reported; and was a requirement of the original spec.   The electric version gets just the one underfloor engine, hence can only move at slow speed.

Paul
Kernowman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 23:24:43 »

Aahhh I see. Well I've learnt something. Thank you. Shocked
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 10:35:05 »

what are the chances that someone (the tax payer) will end up having to pay compensation to Hitachi (for not using their new trains in electric mode)  AND Scotland (for not releasing enough HSTs (High Speed Train) for their new services)?
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 12:17:48 »

what are the chances that someone (the tax payer) will end up having to pay compensation to Hitachi (for not using their new trains in electric mode)  AND Scotland (for not releasing enough HSTs (High Speed Train) for their new services)?
Not sure about the former, but I think the chances of the IC125s not being released for ScotRail are slim since ScotRail don't need the whole fleet (only 27 sets I think) and there should be enough bi-mode units (counting East Coast as well as Great Western) to allow release of that number of IC125s.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 12:31:47 »

Surely Hitachi will get fairly re-imbursed as a matter of course by means of whatever contract variation is written to change the delivery order, or as suggested elsewhere to fit a few more diesel power packs, changing the relative proportion of 800s and 801s as necessary.

They shouldn't need 'compensation' on top of that as well.

Paul
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 14:49:00 »

One would hope so.  The problem is though that this is a complex procurement.  If we (the public) were simply buying the trains, a delay would simply mean that the purchase price needed to be paid before the trains were put into use.  But Hitachi are taking their payment over a 27 year contract.  I would expect that the public will start paying the "rental" cost of the train from the date they are delivered rather than the date that they are used.  The headlines will be "^xmillion wasted per year to keep trains sitting in sidings"

fitting a few more diesel power packs can't make sense can it??  surely the justification of electrification was the lack of availability of new diesel trains.  As soon as the power packs are fitted you have a brand new diesel train and the case for electrification becomes weaker.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: