24/04/24 00:31 London Paddington to Oxford
Delayed
23:50 Maidenhead to Marlow
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 00:23:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should the railways be renationalised?  (Voting closed: August 19, 2015, 19:52:43)
Yes - 9 (25%)
No - 13 (36.1%)
An alternative to franchising - 13 (36.1%)
Don't know/Don't care - 1 (2.8%)
Total Voters: 36

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Should the railways be renationalised?  (Read 29727 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2017, 12:10:29 »

The Transport Select Committee seem to think that the current franchising model is no longer fit for purpose.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38867199

My vote in this thread was for renationalisation. I'd settle for a concession model similar to that for heavy rail in and around London.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2017, 12:31:20 »

The committee said while there could be no "single template" for franchises, there was "merit" in obtaining longer agreements covering smaller areas.
The opportunity of smaller franchises with less financial risk could lead to new companies appearing on the market, the MPs (Member of Parliament) said.
Lower entry costs and more opportunities might lead to new entrants. But as long as there is one franchisee per area, there cannot be meaningful competition between companies. Longer franchises would allow more investment but also reduce the opportunities for new entrants. And smaller franchises might lead to poorer service for passengers, by necessitating more changes of train if services cover smaller areas.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2017, 16:53:01 »

To sum it up:-

Who to blame before privatisation    - British Rail
Who to blame now                          - Pass the buck
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2018, 14:34:02 »

There's an article here from a lecturer in transport economics at Edinburgh Napier university arguing that because both full nationalisation and privatisation have flaws, the best thing is to carry on with the status quo, more or less.
Nationalisation was no panacea in 1940s. It was driven more by circumstances and political ideology rather than any great strategic vision for a modern railway. The investment errors of the 1950s look like a classic example of the ills of public sector management: poorly defined objectives, loss of focus, little sense of realities at senior management level and wasteful extravagance.

Tickets please!  Yoonki Jeong, CC BY-SA
The current model, on the other hand, exposes the private sector to excessive business risk and builds instability into the system. It also still depends heavily on state infrastructure investment or guarantees.

The best way forward is probably to optimise what we have: re-evaluate the rail franchising process and look at different ways to share business risk between the public and private sectors. That might include directly awarding some franchises without a tendering process, whether to a private or public operator, for example. It would be a step towards full nationalisation without throwing out the baby and the bathwater.

As an aside, with all the discussion on the Coffee Shop of the IET (Intercity Express Train)/Class 800, I was initially suprised that I hadn't heard it referred to as the Hitachi Azuma (Brand name for Class 80x trains on LNER) before. But it seems this is Japanese for "east" so the name is only being used on the ECML (East Coast Main Line).

1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2018, 15:47:27 »

There's an article here from a lecturer in transport economics at Edinburgh Napier university arguing that because both full nationalisation and privatisation have flaws, the best thing is to carry on with the status quo, more or less.
Nationalisation was no panacea in 1940s. It was driven more by circumstances and political ideology rather than any great strategic vision for a modern railway. The investment errors of the 1950s look like a classic example of the ills of public sector management: poorly defined objectives, loss of focus, little sense of realities at senior management level and wasteful extravagance.

Tickets please!  Yoonki Jeong, CC BY-SA
The current model, on the other hand, exposes the private sector to excessive business risk and builds instability into the system. It also still depends heavily on state infrastructure investment or guarantees.

The best way forward is probably to optimise what we have: re-evaluate the rail franchising process and look at different ways to share business risk between the public and private sectors. That might include directly awarding some franchises without a tendering process, whether to a private or public operator, for example. It would be a step towards full nationalisation without throwing out the baby and the bathwater.

As an aside, with all the discussion on the Coffee Shop of the IET (Intercity Express Train)/Class 800, I was initially suprised that I hadn't heard it referred to as the Hitachi Azuma (Brand name for Class 80x trains on LNER) before. But it seems this is Japanese for "east" so the name is only being used on the ECML (East Coast Main Line).
The Japanese for West is "Nishi" which I think would go nicely with the IET.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2018, 22:46:05 »

The Japanese for West is "Nishi" which I think would go nicely with the IET (Intercity Express Train).

How about "Cattle" class ;-)

More seriously, here's what we could have had - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/885_series - White Sonic using on Kyushu Railways in the south west of Japan. Leather seats, even in standard class, something forbidden by UK (United Kingdom) fire regs apparently.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2018, 09:48:07 »

I would have assumed leather was less flammable than most foam plastics – it's apparently the plastics that made the Liverpool car park fire spread so rapidly and so far. But if train foams are treated in some fire-retardant way which cars are not, then I'm happy to be wrong on this.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2018, 11:01:44 »

Here's what fare rises looked liked in the nationalised days. There's zero proof they'll drop/stay the same/go up less

I remember the fares in the 70s as I've commuted all my life.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2018, 11:52:29 »

Think you ought to acknowledge ChrisB that you pinched that table from here:
https://paulbigland.blog/2018/01/02/2018-and-the-usual-rail-fares-furore
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2018, 11:54:39 »

And where did he pinch that from? :-)

I did 'pinch' it, with permission, but not from him. It was supplied to him via twitter by my contact too.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2018, 13:04:49 »

A very interesting chart...  Shocked

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2018, 13:45:08 »

Isn't it?....people have either forgotten, chose to ignore or are simply too young to remember. Along with constant delays/faults and stock that was decades old (older than most stock now).

Other than 'saving' 3% that goes in profits to TOCs (Train Operating Company) (assuming we believe that), what are the benefits of nationalisation? And there's a lot of form that says nationalised outfits cost a lot more to run....easily wiping out that 3% (or more) without gaining anything.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2018, 13:58:22 »

Surely the RDG(resolve) should be publicising this data and pushing it heavily to stop any collective amnesia?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2018, 13:59:55 »

You'd think so, wouldn't you?.....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2018, 15:09:23 »

What fares does the chart refer too? Were these increases across the board, from Cheap Day to Open via Awayday, Saver, Super Saver and Apex (Advanced Purchase Excursion (fare))?

Without comparable journey details and ticket types (and even the number of available services a particular ticket type was valid on) the figures in the chart don't stand up to statistical analysis. There are no details on sources or methodology. I treat such 'statistics' with deep suspicion unless and until they can be verified.

All they do at the moment is aid the pre-existing bias of the pro-privatisation brigade. Paul Bigland among them.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: