Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:55 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:12:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Okehampton, Dartmoor, Sunday Rover service - ongoing discussion, merged topic  (Read 26925 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2015, 09:08:54 »

Notice spotted at Plymouth station yesterday

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 21:05:32 »

The 187 is on the list to be taken by someone other than stagecoach. it isn't on the list of non-replaced services. I cant find who is taking it on though

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Rapidash

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 19:16:04 »

Might be Country Bus or even Local Link, as they tend to pick up the crumbs that Stagecoach leave, and they do have a history of sharing ticket revenue.
Palfers

palfers19289@live.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 21:18:45 »

could be jackets coaches as its in there area and I think they are based in gunnislake
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 09:17:24 »

Had thought of travelling on the Okehampton service today but Realtime trains has it running as a Stagecoach service. The Dartmoor Railway leaflet has it running today.
Is there an explanation for this?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 09:24:00 »

Page two of the this leaflet says the trains only ran until last weekend.
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 00:14:26 »

The Sunday Rover Service to Okehampton from Exeter is starts again on Sunday 15th May. It is the 20th Anniversary of this Devon County Council funded Service.

However, since December there have been several meetings of local groups, various councils and some Train Operating Companies, including GWR (Great Western Railway). This group is called OkeRAIL and will be officially launched this Sunday. There may be something happening at Exeter (09.08) on the first service of the day and certainly there will be at Okehampton itself (09.52).

The stated aim of this group is to restart a daily service to Okehampton as soon as possible. This will require funding and negotiations with Train Operators as well as much else.

I am not sure of full details yet of websites etc but it seems appropriate to advise about it here and also encourage many people to get down and have a look.

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 08:45:59 »

I wish them well.

The only snag with Okehampton station is its location.  It is a 15 minute to the town (and it is uphill coming back to the station!).  Hopefully funding could be found for some sort of shuttle bus.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 08:47:42 »

My routes traveled map is a blank west of Taunton, so I'm pondering going down for an explore of Devon and Cornwall branch lines this year or next. Okehampton's current strangely limited service means I can only do it in the summer, but given the small trains (single 153s, Pacers and 2-car 150s) and the fact Devon & Cornwall are popular tourist destinations I'm concerned about capacity. I'm guessing the bank holiday week (starting 30th May?) will be busy, but are there any other times I should avoid?

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 10:52:21 »

... I'm concerned about capacity ...

Dividing the number of journeys per annum to / from Okehampton by the number of services running there suggests that the service is well used without (typically) being crammed.  As the service is summer only, a higher seat usage ratio would be expected on this service than on a year round branch to a seaside resort.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 11:30:44 »

I wish them well.

The only snag with Okehampton station is its location.  It is a 15 minute to the town (and it is uphill coming back to the station!).  Hopefully funding could be found for some sort of shuttle bus.

There are also plans....and have been for some time to build a station at Okehampton East near Stockley business park and the A30. Again, this is not perfect as it is out of the town but it is where 900 homes are going to be built over the next 10 years

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 13:10:14 »

... I'm concerned about capacity ...
Dividing the number of journeys per annum to / from Okehampton by the number of services running there suggests that the service is well used without (typically) being crammed.  As the service is summer only, a higher seat usage ratio would be expected on this service than on a year round branch to a seaside resort.
Good point, and somewhat reassuring about the Okehampton line in particular.

My concern however is a general one about visiting any of the Devon/Cornwall branches (maybe even the 'main line' to Penzance, given how full the IC125 I once did Westbury-Taunton on once was) in the summer. I might possibly have gone at a different time of year, but the Okehampton line is summer only.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 13:13:22 »

Over the years I have found the best way to do the Okehampton run is out and back mid-day as most people who use it are out walking the moors then Wink
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 13:31:16 »

What about the Dartmoor Sunday Rover this year? You can buy one online from GWR (Great Western Railway), but there is zero information from Devon County Council regarding the bus services you can use.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 15:30:51 »

Barry Doe in his "Rover Roundup" in RAIL issue 800 - in shops tomorrow (11th May) - says the Rover is valid on GWR (Great Western Railway) services to Gunnislake, St Budeaux Ferry Road, Okehampton, Barnstaple, Tiverton Parkway, Exmouth and Paignton.  Also includes Stagecoach bus services throughout Devon as well as to Bude, Saltash and Lyme Regis.  Were all those destinations available before? 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: