Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
17:29 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:02 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 15:23:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[71] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[52] Who needs a travel agent these days?
[38] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[30] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[28] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: Worcestershire Parkway Station project - ongoing discussion  (Read 99645 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2019, 21:49:07 »

It is being built currently and will open next year.

From  the Worceter News

TRAINS should be departing from Worcestershire Parkway station by December, the county council has revealed.

The finish line for the new multi-million pound railway station on the edge of the city has been the subject of speculation for months and a definitive answer on when it would open had not been given until now.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2019, 11:09:42 »

From elsewhere ... I see pictures of construction well under way.  Also a very interesting discussion that highlights "operational lead planning" and "passenger lead planning".

The operational lead folks are saying the site chosen on the Birmingham to Bristol line is a poor one because it's on a curve and that makes train dispatch hard(er) - the station should have been put somewhere that the track was straight.

The passenger lead folks are saying that the location is right because it allows passengers to travel in all (four) directions from the same point, and allows interchange between the lines.  If there was no-where straight close to where the lines cross, then needs must and it goes on the curve.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2019, 11:27:32 »

Yep, if you can build it on a dead straight and perfectly level bit of track then that’s great, but it certainly shouldn’t have to be like that.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2019, 12:45:57 »

Quote from: grahame
... a very interesting discussion that highlights "operational lead planning" and "passenger lead planning".

The operational lead folks are saying the site chosen on the Birmingham to Bristol line is a poor one because it's on a curve and that makes train dispatch hard(er) - the station should have been put somewhere that the track was straight.

The passenger lead folks are saying that the location is right because it allows passengers to travel in all (four) directions from the same point, and allows interchange between the lines.  If there was no-where straight close to where the lines cross, then needs must and it goes on the curve.

It strikes me that the "operational lead" people are failing to address practical reality, and that is that it is being built at the point where the Oxford to Worcester line crosses over the Midland main line, making it the perfect location to build a new station. Not only does it allow potential passengers to park or come in by bus to use the station to travel in all four directions, it also enables passengers changing lines there to have a far more convenient place to do it than the existing points, which are in essence Cheltenham or Birmingham, with a double change if the intending passenger wants to go towards Evesham or Malvern. It is also rather conveniently approximately 1.5 miles from junction 7 of the M5.

Looking at the OS (Ordnance Survey) to find sections of reasonably straight track in the area, there is a section where Norton Halt used to be on the OXF» (Oxford - next trains) to WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) line, and a bit near Wadborough on the Midland main line (coincidentally the site of another closed station). The trouble is, these "perfect" operational locations happen to be about 2.5 miles apart, which is about as much good as an interchange station as calling Paddington an interchange for London Bridge...

How I wonder would they propose to deal with this? Just not bother and leave the passengers to leg it (because they're only passengers after all - why should we take any notice of them)? Run a shuttle service perhaps with driverless trains (nobody tell ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) mind...) on the lines of the Gatwick North to South terminals shuttle? And where would you put the car park? Somewhere half way between the two for reasons of fairness? Search me...

When still working before retirement I used to say that the last thing you should do is let accountants run businesses. You should leave people who understand the business to run it, and tell the accountants to stick to their speciality of understanding the money.

I am starting to think, on the basis of this episode, that the last thing the railways should do is allow operational people anywhere near the customer-focused end of the railway business.

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2019, 16:11:43 »

... the site chosen on the Birmingham to Bristol line is a poor one because it's on a curve and that makes train dispatch hard(er) ....

What's changed !

A few years ago Devon CC wanted to open(re-open) a station on the Torbay line due to the increased housing developments where the new properties were being acquired by more of the senior people of this land to retire to. Authority decreed that any new station had to be on straight track which also had to be on a level gradient as well.

That location was Kingskerswell and the plan was scuppered by authority.

Its a similar situation with the Portishead line. the LA wanted the line to progress farther into the town which, to keep costs down, would have required a level crossing on Quays Road. Authority said NO.

Plans to extend the Tweedbank line onto Carlisle will involve a level crossing immediately south of the present Tweedbank terminus which is reported to be "of no problem at all". What's the difference, Tweedbank is Scotland, Portishead is England but why ?

Huh

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2019, 21:54:56 »

Its a similar situation with the Portishead line. the LA wanted the line to progress farther into the town which, to keep costs down, would have required a level crossing on Quays Road. Authority said NO.

Plans to extend the Tweedbank line onto Carlisle will involve a level crossing immediately south of the present Tweedbank terminus which is reported to be "of no problem at all". What's the difference, Tweedbank is Scotland, Portishead is England but why ?

A few years ago, I thought that the crossing at Quays Avenue would not be a problem. Then, when it was refused, I railed against the decision. Then I read the reasons why, and realised that the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) know better than me when it comes to level crossings on housing estates built after the railway was closed, and within a very short distance of a main road. So I shut up.

Tweedbank is in Scotland, Portishead is England, but why? Possibly a question for King James I (James VI of Scotland) to answer. He didn't know much about railways, to be fair.

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2019, 23:15:45 »

A few years ago, I thought that the crossing at Quays Avenue would not be a problem. Then, when it was refused, I railed against the decision. Then I read the reasons why, and realised that the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) know better than me when it comes to level crossings on housing estates built after the railway was closed, and within a very short distance of a main road. So I shut up.

Tweedbank is in Scotland, Portishead is England, but why? Possibly a question for King James I (James VI of Scotland) to answer. He didn't know much about railways, to be fair.

King James the renumbered wasn't that fussed about keeping the two kingdoms distinct - he just wanted the whole lot to be ... well, his, basically. But he never sold the idea widely enough, so that was left for Queen Anne.

While the ORR's performance monitoring of Highways England has no Scottish counterpart, it is safety regulator for railways for the whole of Great Britain (not a synonym for the UK (United Kingdom), in this case). The main difference I can see between the two cases is that one has produced a concrete proposal and has been submitted to the ORR for an opinion, while the other is stil at the stage of talks about studies about further stuff.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2019, 07:25:20 »

Single kingdom? Bit controversial at the present time?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2019, 05:57:51 »

Update at GWR (Great Western Railway) - https://www.gwr.com/about-us/modernising-gwr/worcestershire-parkway

A new station is coming soon…

In 2018 construction began on a new station serving Worcestershire county. The new station is built to serve the two railway lines (North Cotswold Line and Cardiff to Nottingham Line) that it sits across and will provide:

* a 500 space car park (including disabled parking) designed to current standards in terms of lighting, CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision), ticketing, customer facilities and information points
* a fully accessible modern station building with toilets, ticket desk, and a retail facility
* a single platform on the North Cotswold Line and two platforms on the Cardiff to Nottingham Line that will all be fully accessible
* secure cycle storage, motor cycle parking and electric car charging points
* direct access to local bus services through a bus/rail interchange
* taxi rank and drop off/pick up point
* a new roundabout providing access to the station from the B4084
* a new footbridge for the public right of way over the Cardiff to Nottingham line

Worcestershire Parkway forms part of the wider £50million plus rail investment programme in Worcestershire and is a key part of the longer term Worcestershire Rail Investment Strategy.

This scheme will provide sustainable access to regional and national destinations by rail, including the south-west, north-east, London and the Thames Valley. This will significantly enhance Worcestershire’s connectivity with the UK (United Kingdom)’s key economies and encourage economic growth and development within the county.

Once open, Great Western Railway services operating between Hereford/Great Malvern/Worcester, and the Thames Valley and London Paddington via stations including Pershore, Evesham, Oxford and Reading will call at the station along with CrossCountry services between Cardiff and Nottingham.

Many times have I travelled from where I live in Melksham to the Midlands, North East, North West and Scotland. And the bit from home to Birmingham has been slow.  I live between the Cross Country train legs to the south west via Taunton and Exeter and to the south via Oxford and Basingstoke.  With the luxury of being able to drive, but with the limitation of being tired driving for too long, Worcestershire Parkway is potentially a very attractive Park and Drive station for me ...

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2019, 09:22:02 »

I was confused for a second by the "Cardiff to Nottingham line". I always think of it as the "Bristol to Birmingham (etc)" line. I guess it could be lots of other things too.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2019, 10:57:36 »

I was confused for a second by the "Cardiff to Nottingham line". I always think of it as the "Bristol to Birmingham (etc)" line. I guess it could be lots of other things too.

It's my understanding that the new station will be served by the trains which run from Cardiff to Nottingham and, sadly, trains from Bristol an beyond headed via Birmingham to Manchester, to Sheffield, Leeds, York and the North East and Scotland will not.

From a personal viewpoint, a direct train service from Worcestershire Parkway to Manchester and Motherwell is attractive. A service which requires me to change in Birmingham between two services that may require a significant wait, or where there is a danger of a connection failing, is not so attractive.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2019, 11:17:27 »

Indeed.

But perhaps Gloucester has a better demand on those XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) connections than Worcester? Then there's the argument that doesn't go away of what type of service is XC meant to provide. Long-distance, fast, limited stop? Or serves as many as possible but is so slow it's quicker to drive?
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2019, 11:39:47 »

It's my understanding that the new station will be served by the trains which run from Cardiff to Nottingham and, sadly, trains from Bristol an beyond headed via Birmingham to Manchester, to Sheffield, Leeds, York and the North East and Scotland will not.

If it's true, it seems crazy. I was hoping it would open up all sorts of better rail possibilities for me from Bristol. To exclude Bristol and other stations from direct connections to there seems to have the effect of reducing the return on the investment in the new station.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2019, 11:43:20 »

Indeed.

But perhaps Gloucester has a better demand on those XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) connections than Worcester? Then there's the argument that doesn't go away of what type of service is XC meant to provide. Long-distance, fast, limited stop? Or serves as many as possible but is so slow it's quicker to drive?

I totally agree.  All stations Plymouth to Glasgow Central including Five Ways, Pegswood, Starcross, Crossgates and Carluke would be painful ... but take out stops at Cheltenham Spa / fail to stop at the new station (or Motherwell) and it removes the utility to me.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2019, 12:13:43 »

While adding stops like Worcester & Gloucester (along with all the others that want XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) to stop at their local station) would make many others take to the air for longer journeys - many more than do currently - probably more than would be encouraged to use it by adding stops.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: