I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:44:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: Worcestershire Parkway Station project - ongoing discussion  (Read 99611 times)
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2019, 17:59:59 »

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) journeys are already too slow.  In most cases it is much quicker (and cheaper) to travel via London than to use XC direct services

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2019, 12:35:29 »

Well, the station fit-out continues.  Might be a bit of a mad rush getting it ready for a December opening, but when it does open a quick look at how the station will be served* compared with current options from Worcester:

Low level platforms: 31 trains, 16 northbound, 15 southbound.

First University/Birmingham train of the day is 07:36.  Quite late.
First Cheltenham/Gloucester/Cardiff train is 07:58.  Also quite late.

Commute to Birmingham is possible on 07:36 or 08:14 departures with 39 minute or 31 minute journey times - quickest option currently from Shrub Hill or Foregate Street takes 41 minutes, but 45-50 minutes is more typical.  Generally a few more (and earlier) options available from Shrub Hill/Foregate Street though.  Return commute on 17:30 or 18:30 takes just 28 minutes, with (again) more options to Shrub Hill or Foregate street but a fastest time of 41 minutes.  My conclusion is that depending on where you live in Worcester, then commuting from Parkway station will be a better option for some as you won't have to battle through the streets of Worcester to get to and from the station and the trains are a little quicker.

Commute to Cheltenham/Gloucester possible on 07:58, taking 16 minutes to Cheltenham and 27 minutes to Gloucester.  Equivalent today from Shrub Hill is 07:08 taking 21/32 minutes, but that gets you in too early for a typical 9-5 commute where the Parkway option is much more suitable.  Coming home it is 17:48/17:59 taking 25/14 minutes compared with a similar time now of 17:37 Gloucester or 17:48 Cheltenham taking 39/28 minutes - so again depending on where you live it might open up more commuting options.

Leisure journey opportunities roughly every hour to Cheltenham, Gloucester, Chepstow, Newport and Cardiff one direction.  Birmingham, Tamworth, Burton-On-Trent, Derby and Nottingham the other way - many of which can't be done by direct train at the moment.  1h 20m to Derby, under two hours to Nottingham, 1h 30m to Cardiff - all quite a lot quicker than you can currently do those journeys with changes.  Off-peak to/from Cheltenham/Gloucester is regular and hourly rather than one every two hours which you can currently get from Shrub Hill/Foregate.

High level platform: 36 trains, 17 eastbound, 18 westbound, 1 late evening terminating train from London

Less of a pattern than the low level services, but generally a train every hour to Oxford/London, a train every hour to Worcester with six of those continuing to Great Malvern and a further four going through to Hereford.  Several sub 2-hour journeys to London, with the quickest being 1h 49m with off-peak services generally taking around the 2-hour mark.  That's generally around 15-20 minutes quicker than currently from Shrub Hill, although these are the same trains so the journey times from the other Worcester stations also become quicker and to a more standardised pattern.  What effect that will have on passenger numbers remains to be seen, but certainly new London passengers might be attracted to use the station who would otherwise had driven to another station such as Warwick Parkway, or not used the train at all.

Connections between High and Low Level platforms:

Commuting from places like Moreton, Evesham or Pershore to Cheltenham or Gloucester isn't really an option at the moment with journey times of well over an hour and nothing that fits in with standard commuting hours.  Leisure journeys aren't much better - every couple of hours and again at least an hour.  It's the same story commuting from those stations to Birmingham with arrivals at 07:10 or 09:09 being too early or too late for most.

By changing at Worcestershire Parkway more options become available, though sadly still nothing realistic for the typical commuter to Cheltenham or Gloucester.  The 07:58 departure from Low Level departs four minutes before the arrival from London via Evesham at 08:02.  It's better for Birmingham though as the current 09:09 arrival becomes 08:45 departing at the same time (07:51).  There is a similar improvement on the return journey.

It's a shame the large gap in trains from Evesham west between 05:53 and 07:51 can't be plugged with something as that would really make commuting a feasible option from those Cotswold Line stations!

Leisure opportunities from Moreton/Honeybourne/Evesham and Pershore to Cheltenham/Gloucester/Cardiff/Birmingham do improve considerably though.  For example, many 35/45 minute journeys are available between Evesham and Cheltenham/Gloucester with a good connection at Worcestershire Parkway.  Evesham to and from Birmingham in around an hour becomes possible several times a day.

So, I've no doubt new journey opportunities will open up by changing trains at Worcestershire Parkway, but it is a shame that the commuting options don't improve as much as they could.

* Based on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) data which may be inaccurate or incomplete

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #107 on: October 11, 2019, 08:12:47 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Worcester's new railway station's set to open in December.

Drone footage has captured the final touches being put to a new £22m railway station, just weeks before it welcomes its first passengers.

Originally expected to open in autumn 2017, Worcestershire Parkway Station is nearly complete.

The station, off the M5, will be Worcester's third and joins the lines between Hereford and London and from Cardiff to Nottingham.

Once work is finished, equipment and infrastructure will be tested before it opens to the public in December, Worcestershire County Council says.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2019, 15:05:52 »

I can see why the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) might, at a push, describe the east-west line through Worcestershire Parkway as the 'Hereford and London' (though don't call it that in front of anyone from, say Worcester); but describing the Birmingham and Gloucester as the 'Cardiff to Nottingham' seems very eccentric...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2019, 15:08:39 »

Why? That is exactly the ends pf the route serving those platforms
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2019, 17:40:48 »

Red Squirrel see below:
I was confused for a second by the "Cardiff to Nottingham line". I always think of it as the "Bristol to Birmingham (etc)" line. I guess it could be lots of other things too.

It's my understanding that the new station will be served by the trains which run from Cardiff to Nottingham and, sadly, trains from Bristol an beyond headed via Birmingham to Manchester, to Sheffield, Leeds, York and the North East and Scotland will not.

From a personal viewpoint, a direct train service from Worcestershire Parkway to Manchester and Motherwell is attractive. A service which requires me to change in Birmingham between two services that may require a significant wait, or where there is a danger of a connection failing, is not so attractive.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2019, 17:55:07 »

Why? That is exactly the ends pf the route serving those platforms

Ah, OK; when you put it that way it seems less eccentric.

I suppose I should probably re-educate myself to think of Filton Abbey Wood as being on the Warminster to Great Malvern line, while I'm about it!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2019, 18:24:20 »

I can see why the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) might, at a push, describe the east-west line through Worcestershire Parkway as the 'Hereford and London' (though don't call it that in front of anyone from, say Worcester); but describing the Birmingham and Gloucester as the 'Cardiff to Nottingham' seems very eccentric...

During my periodic travels to Blackpool from Bristol to see my fading mother, my game to do it as cheaply as possible often involved a change at Cheltenham to the Cardiff to Nottingham service, as far as Birmingham New Street. I wouldn't recommend it on grounds other than cost.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2019, 20:21:45 »

I suppose I should probably re-educate myself to think of Filton Abbey Wood as being on the Warminster to Great Malvern line, while I'm about it!

? - I thought it was on Bristol Parkway to Penzance

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2019, 23:39:37 »

I notice tonight on a trip out of Worcester to Pershore that signage to the station is up in the eastern edge of Worcester, and at the M5 - all the way, in fact, to the station roundabout, where access is blocked.

I presume the station will in fact be opening at the December TT change. For something that has seemed essentially finished since the spring, actually finishing it off does seem to have taken an age.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2019, 08:26:50 »

Always lots of finishing off jobs to do after something looks finished, and then of course the red tape to cut through, and the scissors always seem a little blunt, such as at Kenilworth.  I’m hearing a 95% chance of a December opening currently, so I’ll put my money on sometime next February.  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2019, 12:12:47 »

The times are in industry systems and tickets are being sold.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2019, 14:39:32 »

Yeah, it’s looking good for December- despite my winky post.

Marketing and promotional stuff to start in earnest in the new year to allow a short bedding in period.

JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2019, 12:32:19 »

Yeah, it’s looking good for December- despite my winky post.

Marketing and promotional stuff to start in earnest in the new year to allow a short bedding in period.

The idea of a bedding-in period seems to have been taken to extremes in the new timetable - which incidentally is now online at https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/the-timetable/electronic-national-rail-timetable/ - by the cunning expedient of not including the station in Table 126, though the low level platforms do appear in Table 57.

Bizarrely, the station is not wholly absent from Table 126, because the last down train of the day terminates at WOP, and therefore merits a note to that effect.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2019, 13:08:28 »

The GWR (Great Western Railway) timetable shows it and I suspect most people will use that.  It is interesting to note that not all GWR trains stop there

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: