Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 09:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:09:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: Worcestershire Parkway Station project - ongoing discussion  (Read 99590 times)
DanPanes

View Profile Email
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2020, 20:47:14 »

Hi all - Worcestershire County Council announced today that the station would open on 23rd February.

http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/news/article/2017/county_s_first_new_station_in_over_100_years_to_open_next_sunday

Here is a link to their press release

Not sure where the other date has come from.

All being well in terms of any final legal/regulatory issues we expect to run trains on the same day.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2020, 20:49:17 »

Hi all - Worcestershire County Council announced today that the station would open on 23rd February.

http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/news/article/2017/county_s_first_new_station_in_over_100_years_to_open_next_sunday

Here is a link to their press release

Not sure where the other date has come from.

All being well in terms of any final legal/regulatory issues we expect to run trains on the same day.

Thanks, Dan

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2020, 14:05:13 »

From the GWR (Great Western Railway) Media Centre

Friday 21st February 2020

Worcestershire Parkway station opens on Sunday, delivering increased connectivity to London, the Midlands and South Wales.

History will be made when Great Western Railway’s service to London Paddington makes the first call at the station at 08.28.

[etc]

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #183 on: February 22, 2020, 06:42:46 »

And a press release from Cross Country

CrossCountry, part of the Arriva Group, has welcomed the opening of Worcestershire’s first new railway station for over 100 years.

On Sunday 23 February, Worcestershire Parkway station joins 118 stations already served by CrossCountry across Great Britain. With its large, secure car park, modern facilities and accessible platforms, the new station makes a fantastic gateway to the region.

With an hourly CrossCountry service throughout the day, southbound to Gloucester and Cardiff and northwards to Birmingham and Nottingham, onward connections will link the county to almost every part of the country. As well as CrossCountry, GWR (Great Western Railway) services to the Cotswolds and London will extend the county’s reach. This enhanced connectivity to the rest of Britain will enable Worcestershire to continue growing its business and tourism links as the country becomes an even easier place to visit.

Tom Joyner, CrossCountry’s Managing Director, said: “We are delighted that Worcestershire Parkway is now open for business. This new station and its excellent connections will benefit the regions’ rail users, and we look forward to working with the council and other stakeholders to promote its use.

Guessing that Station Management is GWR, based on the fact that the Cross Country franchise does not "do" station management.

IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 22, 2020, 07:16:35 »

Yes.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2020, 21:25:26 »

Yes.

Drove past earlier. The road signs have all been uncovered at the roundabout and all seems ready. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
bleeder4

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 23, 2020, 13:03:47 »

I went to Parkway this morning, in fact I purchased the first ticket to Parkway that the Shrub Hill ticket office had sold this morning. The station was relatively busy, mainly enthusiasts, but there were several batches of people who had come from St Peters in south Worcester. The consensus amongst them was that Parkway is just as close to them as the two Worcester stations, and so if they needed to go to Birmingham they would go there rather than into town.

There are a few issues with the station, all of which can probably be fixed:

1. Only two toilets for the entire station. They are both accessible cubicles, which is great, but that's all there is.
2. No seating at all inside the station building. Each platform has a few sparse seats, but some of them are right at the far end of the platforms where no one will ever go.
3. Each platform only has a single bus shelter construction for cover, located around a third of the way along. There is very little protection from the elements. The high level platform in particular was like a wind tunnel today, it's extremely exposed to the elements. What this means is that if it's chucking it down people will stay within the station building, rather than spreading out along the platform, and so will all be boarding the trains at the door closest to that end of the platform.
4. Each platform only has one info display screen, located right at the point where you join the platform, again encouraging people to all cluster at that end of the platform, rather than spreading out along it.
5. Car park machines do not take cash. Perhaps in London and the bigger cities this is the norm, but not in Worcester, and several people were caught short by it today.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 23, 2020, 13:14:53 »

3. Each platform only has a single bus shelter construction for cover, located around a third of the way along. There is very little protection from the elements. The high level platform in particular was like a wind tunnel today, it's extremely exposed to the elements. What this means is that if it's chucking it down people will stay within the station building, rather than spreading out along the platform, and so will all be boarding the trains at the door closest to that end of the platform.

Yes, it surprised me that more shelters weren't provided, especially on the exposed high level platform.  It is on the embankment that any such facilities would have to be built on though, so no doubt they wanted to keep the costs down.  Anybody travelling first class on a 9-car IET (Intercity Express Train) will have quite a walk from the shelter to the train, and a 9-car IET will stop slightly beyond the station building so that might cause delayed boarding in inclement weather.

Great to see it finally opening though!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #188 on: February 23, 2020, 20:15:00 »

From The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

The first train has left a newly opened railway station in Worcestershire.

Picture - Courtesy Great Western Railway

Worcestershire Parkway, in Norton, near Worcester, is the first station to open in the county for more than 100 years.

About 50 people waited on the platform of the £22m station to see the first train pull in on its way to London Paddington.

JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 23, 2020, 22:02:08 »

5. Car park machines do not take cash. Perhaps in London and the bigger cities this is the norm, but not in Worcester, and several people were caught short by it today.

Am I missing something here? Presumably it is only a problem for those who are expecting to pay cash for both the car park AND their train ticket. Is that likely in practice?
Bristolboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: February 23, 2020, 22:46:02 »

I suppose the hope is people will become used to it - I recently used Keynsham car park for the first time and noticed that car park can only be paid via app or over the phone. Maybe being cash free, hopefully with less risk of criminal activity, is standard for the GWR (Great Western Railway) network now?
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 24, 2020, 18:52:00 »

I suppose the hope is people will become used to it - I recently used Keynsham car park for the first time and noticed that car park can only be paid via app or over the phone. Maybe being cash free, hopefully with less risk of criminal activity, is standard for the GWR (Great Western Railway) network now?

And presumably also saving the cost of emptying the machines.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2020, 19:23:26 »

I would say that that is a side benefit to GWR (Great Western Railway). The facts of the matter, from things that I read, is that we re becoming more and more a cashless society, preferring instead to wave bits of plastic around or, if the device is really antiquated ( Wink ) shove the card in and enter a PIN number.

Its happening all over the world. I've been in South Africa for five and a bit weeks and I haven't spent 500 rand (about £25.50) in cash yet - everything goes on a card, including in the fish and chip shop  Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #193 on: February 24, 2020, 19:56:02 »

The facts of the matter, from things that I read, is that we re becoming more and more a cashless society, preferring instead to wave bits of plastic around or, if the device is really antiquated ( Wink ) shove the card in and enter a PIN number.

Its happening all over the world. ...

Indeed ... even in railway station catering.  Mind you, the food has changed too.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 25, 2020, 00:03:58 »

And taking it to the bank.

I would say that that is a side benefit to GWR (Great Western Railway). The facts of the matter, from things that I read, is that we re becoming more and more a cashless society, preferring instead to wave bits of plastic around or, if the device is really antiquated ( Wink ) shove the card in and enter a PIN number.

Its happening all over the world. I've been in South Africa for five and a bit weeks and I haven't spent 500 rand (about £25.50) in cash yet - everything goes on a card, including in the fish and chip shop  Grin

I arrived in Iceland without any króna, due to unforeseen circumstances*. I had a few dollars, both Canadian and yankee, plus some real British money, and figured I could change it at a bank or draw some from a cashpoint. Five days later, I left without doing any of that. Even the street hotdog stall took cards.

(*I forgot.)

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: