Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:55 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:10:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17
  Print  
Author Topic: Worcestershire Parkway Station project - ongoing discussion  (Read 99595 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 25, 2020, 20:57:38 »

Once a week I do a shift in a charity bookshop (cos who wouldn't want to spend a morning drinking tea, chatting to people, playing the boss's Led Zeppelin LPs, all while surrounded by books, and being able to delude yourself that you're helping to make the world a tiny bit better?). Most purchases are small sums – rarely into double digits – but at least two thirds of payments are electronic in one form or another. There no longer seems to be a generational divide in this, either, except in the actual technology used (young people use phones, old people use smart watches, those between use cards – generalisation, obviously) and maybe the choice of bank/financial service provider.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
bleeder4

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 27, 2020, 20:08:32 »

Rather an amusing flyer received in the post today, which I've attached to this post. I assume the whole of Worcester received it. A couple of glaring errors. It claims that this is the first time we have had a direct rail connection to London and Oxford, which is of course nonsense, and the map labels the motorway bordering Worcester as being the M4 instead of the M5. Anyone coming off at M4 Jn7 as this flyer suggests would have one heck of a drive ahead of them!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #197 on: March 14, 2020, 19:15:16 »

Pictures of Worcestershire Parkway (well - only seen a very few here!)

London train at platform 3

View of the station enrtrance fro platform 3

Seats on platform 3 - very exposed and just about the only seats around

A quiet Saturday scene.  I understand initial traffic is commuter traffic, with Birmingham most popular destination so far

Level off platform 3, passes over the Cheltenham to Birmingahm line

Platforss 1 and 2, where Cardiff to Nottingham services call, and Bristol and Manchester services race through

What - no seats.  No buffet either.   Both on order!

Public footpath bridge.  Does not appeat to be wheelchair accessible (in fact you need to be darned fit!)

My next train arrives!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 14, 2020, 20:32:15 »

Great minds think alike grahame. I did tell you I'd be visiting Worcestershire Parkway today too. I came in down the North Cotswold Line. I guess you arrived on the Bristol-Birmingham Line.

Some pictures from my visit to the newest GWR (Great Western Railway) served station.

I counted 26 EV charging points. And 0 vehicles using them. But good future proofing. Cost here is £0.30 per kW.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #199 on: March 14, 2020, 21:20:00 »

Great minds think alike grahame. I did tell you I'd be visiting Worcestershire Parkway today too. I came in down the North Cotswold Line. I guess you arrived on the Bristol-Birmingham Line

Each our own pictures.   I had been up Worcestershire Beacon from Great Malvern ... came back planning to change onto a Cross Country Cardiff service.    Sadly that was cancelled, so back up to Shrub Hill after a brief visit to Parkway and the onto the GWR (Great Western Railway) Westbury train ...

Exhausted.   Done more walking today than I've even done since I lost my balance / hearing on one side.   First time up the Beacon for 40 years!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 14, 2020, 23:07:05 »

Great minds think alike grahame. I did tell you I'd be visiting Worcestershire Parkway today too. I came in down the North Cotswold Line. I guess you arrived on the Bristol-Birmingham Line

Each our own pictures.   I had been up Worcestershire Beacon from Great Malvern ... came back planning to change onto a Cross Country Cardiff service.    Sadly that was cancelled, so back up to Shrub Hill after a brief visit to Parkway and the onto the GWR (Great Western Railway) Westbury train ...

Exhausted.   Done more walking today than I've even done since I lost my balance / hearing on one side.   First time up the Beacon for 40 years!

It’s quite a pull up!

The photo from the lower level of the Midland passing under the GW (Great Western) is interesting, as it has an extra bridge on the Down side, with apparently space for two tracks. I’ve never noticed it before. Was there a loop there?
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 15, 2020, 00:33:20 »

The photo from the lower level of the Midland passing under the GW (Great Western) is interesting, as it has an extra bridge on the Down side, with apparently space for two tracks. I’ve never noticed it before. Was there a loop there?

I wondered that, too.  There's a loop which starts a little further south of the station, so perhaps that used to be longer?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 15, 2020, 08:40:16 »

I wondered that, too.  There's a loop which starts a little further south of the station, so perhaps that used to be longer?

No sign of that on old maps - rather that the bridge was built to allow for quadrupling that never happened. It may be hard to recreate now the thought processes that led anyone to expect that would ever be needed on the Bristol & Birmingham  - but times change!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 15, 2020, 10:46:25 »

Are we talking about this photo? I'm no engineer but I note the tracks are on a slight embankment, with no sign of that ever having been wide enough for four tracks. I don't know how significant that might be but could it be that the bridge was made wider in order to allow non-rail access? Vehicles for maintenance or maybe for farm access?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 15, 2020, 13:08:52 »

Could it provide a cheap underpass if the North Cotswold line was ever double tracked at this point?

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 15, 2020, 13:17:12 »

Are we talking about this photo? I'm no engineer but I note the tracks are on a slight embankment, with no sign of that ever having been wide enough for four tracks. I don't know how significant that might be but could it be that the bridge was made wider in order to allow non-rail access? Vehicles for maintenance or maybe for farm access?

Who knows? It was a long time ago - around 1850. I suspect it was one of the horses traded between the OW&WR (who built the bridge) and the B&GR/MR (Midland Railway) (which was there first). They were also "collaborating" over the loop line via Worcester and on to Bromsgove at the time.

In any case, it doesn't seem likely you would build the formation in advance of needing it. And the nearest bridge over a road isn't far away, so an accommodation bridge doesn't look likely. It also looks to me like it was originally spanned with timber, and so needed replacing pretty soon.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 15, 2020, 13:44:30 »

Looking at the 1st edition 25 inch OS (Ordnance Survey) map, it would seem that the gap was there from the beginning.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/120901057
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 15, 2020, 17:37:54 »

Looking at the 1st edition 25 inch OS (Ordnance Survey) map, it would seem that the gap was there from the beginning.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/120901057

Interesting. One thing that map does illustrate neatly - at 25 inches to the mile - is the very short distance from Norton Junction to the new station, and how incredibly short-sighted it was not to re-double the few chains concerned in conjunction with a second platform as part of the scheme. This is particularly the case when we learn that there are proposals to extend the redoubling from Evesham West to Pershore - which would probably not be needed if Pershore remained the only station on the single-track section.
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 16, 2020, 15:45:12 »

The Attached snapshot from the OS (Ordnance Survey) map shows that the extra bridge span was for a farm track that was also a Public Bridleway. This ran to a foot crossing further south.
Looking at the Current Worcestershire county council footpath mapping https://gis.worcestershire.gov.uk/website/countryside/ the Bridleway and foot crossing have now been closed.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #209 on: March 16, 2020, 16:42:35 »

The Attached snapshot from the OS (Ordnance Survey) map shows that the extra bridge span was for a farm track that was also a Public Bridleway. This ran to a foot crossing further south.
Looking at the Current Worcestershire county council footpath mapping https://gis.worcestershire.gov.uk/website/countryside/ the Bridleway and foot crossing have now been closed.

Interesting map - it also shows the path that remains open and that has been bridged for pedestrians within the new station.

Welcome to the forum, TonyN.   Your home area??

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17
  Print  

Jump to: