Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:25:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17
  Print  
Author Topic: Worcestershire Parkway Station project - ongoing discussion  (Read 99607 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 23, 2020, 09:16:40 »

I know. I call it wilful squirrel-bating.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 23, 2020, 09:25:55 »

Is that "bating" the aphetic form of "abating"? Or a typo for batting? Or beating? Or bathing, or even boating?
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 23, 2020, 09:56:13 »

Is that "bating" the aphetic form of "abating"? Or a typo for batting? Or beating? Or bathing, or even boating?

Or maybe a good use of a somewhat archaic term? I await the answer with bated breath.

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 23, 2020, 10:01:26 »

The natural habitat of station codes is the data feeds, where they are defined in the stations file of each set of files (fares, timetabling, and routeing guide). In the Routeing guide they are CRS codes (in 2017). In the timetable information they are CRS codes (in 2018), and the file also has the OS (Ordnance Survey) grid reference as well as the name (uo to 26 characters) and TIPLOC. In 2012, the definition document for this file called them 3-Alpha codes! So less new than old-ish.

The fares feed has to deal with locations that are not NR» (Network Rail - home page) stations, so its file uses additional codes. There is an internal unique identifier code (UIC), CRS, NLC (National Location Code), RESV (international reservation code), ERS (Eurostar), UTS (used on Underground ticket magnetic stripes), and then other coded location data (Administrative area - '70'=Britain, ERS country, county, PTE (Passenger Transport Executive), zone, NLC for zone, UK (United Kingdom) region, ... and maybe I missed a few).
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 23, 2020, 10:14:01 »

Or maybe a good use of a somewhat archaic term? I await the answer with bated breath.

It was a spelling misteak.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 23, 2020, 22:15:52 »

I always blame the spill chucker.

Now, please!
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #231 on: October 25, 2020, 09:03:49 »

I always blame the spill chucker.

As does grahame!!

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #232 on: July 23, 2023, 16:18:32 »

I hadn't realised until recently how bad the "rear access" is to Worcestershire Parkway. (Spoiler: it doesn't really have any.)

Part of the appeal of the station is that it's in easy access of Worcester's southern suburbia. It's 1.5 miles from Norton, 2.5 miles from St Peters. There's a fancy new cycle/footbridge over the southern bypass, dedicated signage, and traffic calming on the minor roads, together designed to make it easy to cycle to Parkway. (Here's a map: https://cycle.travel/map?from=&to=&fromLL=52.171032,-2.201800&toLL=52.156044,-2.161293)

There's then a cycleway/footpath that takes you up to the Birmingham-bound platform. "Up to", but not "onto". You park your bike in the stands provided (fine so far). But then: you have to climb n steps up onto a separate footbridge over the CrossCountry line; descend the steps on the other side; perform a swift U-turn into the station building; climb n steps again up onto the main station footbridge; finally, descend n steps onto the Birmingham platform.

n*4 steps in order to get five yards from the bike parking to the Birmingham platform. I could understand it (though perhaps not agree with it) if Parkway were a gated station, but it isn't.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #233 on: July 23, 2023, 20:55:04 »

Station security....how do you stop people entering station at night if that was open?
Sulis John

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 24, 2023, 09:39:33 »

A lockable gate? Doesn’t seem to be an issue at the majority of smaller stations- even on mainlines.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 16, 2023, 13:32:16 »

I mentioned that I thought the station was doing rather well after being unfortunate in that it opened just as Covid-19 hit the world.

This press release confirms that:
https://news.gwr.com/news/worcestershire-parkway-passenger-numbers-exceed-all-expectations

I remember there being a groundswell of opinion at the time full approval was given that it would be a white elephant and complete waste of money, borne out by most of the comments on this article:
https://news.gwr.com/news/worcestershire-parkway-passenger-numbers-exceed-all-expectations

And from one vocal former member of this forum:
This station will be a complete waste of money. I am horrified that Network Rail are letting it proceed (they must be furious).

Just goes to show.  Wink

I am hopeful that these usage figures will mean CrossCountry will stop trains on their Manchester<>Bristol axis soon (May 2024?), which I know a number of influential people are pushing for.  It might even help with regaining momentum regarding the aspiration of a 2tph GWR (Great Western Railway) service between Worcester and Paddington.  Think what the usage would be with eight trains an hour calling!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #236 on: September 17, 2023, 20:50:56 »

I'm hearing that first thoughts are being given to putting up an extra deck in the car park, it's regularly over 80% full now. (500 spaces, except for the EV charging spaces, that is!)
bleeder4

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 20, 2023, 15:21:20 »

I use it fairly regularly and can confirm it's a well-used station. The early morning XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services to Birmingham and GWR (Great Western Railway) services to London in particular always attract a large crowd of passengers. I don't think I've ever seen the car park less than half full either. Although my one criticism is regarding the two pay machines, one at either end of the car park. For months now, both of them have had a sheen of condensation on the inside of the glass in front of the LCD screen. I can navigate the interface by memory as I've done it so often, so don't actually need to see what the screen says. But several times I have had to stop and help people who can't see what the screen is saying due to the condensation. Someone needs to take away the glass in front of the screens and give them a proper wipe down!
AMLAG

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 21, 2023, 13:35:02 »

I have assumed you have not reported this matter to Apcoa so I have done it for you …I suggest if the car park machines are not cleaned soon that you contact Apcoa direct

This is their email for the future .. UK (United Kingdom) Customer Complaints <UK_Customer_Complaints@apcoa.com>
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 27, 2023, 20:46:45 »

I can confirm that the updated announcements with the female voice are now in use on IETs (Intercity Express Train).

The station announcements at Pershore however stiil say WOP.

A couple of other things I have spotted:

The Station location GPS data seems to be missing from the database used by the National rail enquiries APP. I tried to look up trains at Worcestershire parkway while stood on the station using the nearest stations tab and Parkway was not listed.

I was at Newport recently awaiting the arrival of a Nottingham service. The English language automated station announcement included Worcestershire Parkway. However the Welsh language announcement missed it out entirely not even WOP It jumped straight from Ashcurch for Tewkesbury to University (all in English I should add).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17
  Print  

Jump to: