Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 08:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:38 Exeter St Davids to Okehampton
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
07:54 Looe to Liskeard
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:05 Looe to Liskeard
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:26:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[124] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[85] Return of the BRUTE?
[67] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[29] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New members  (Read 7916 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2015, 22:49:36 »

I can't help noticing that a lot of people seem to have joined this forum in the last few weeks... does no-one else find this worrying? Has their loyalty to rail been tested? Are we sure that they don't clandestinely represent the motorist lobby?

I suppose we'll know soon enough, if grahame disappears and is replaced by jeremyc.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 04:36:14 »

I can't help noticing that a lot of people seem to have joined this forum in the last few weeks... does no-one else find this worrying? Has their loyalty to rail been tested? Are we sure that they don't clandestinely represent the motorist lobby?

I suppose we'll know soon enough, if grahame disappears and is replaced by jeremyc.

I love it  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Yet many a true word spoken written in jest.

We make checks on signup requests; it's such a common issue that there are dedicated websites such as http://www.stopforumspam.com to help us ... and that's just one layer.  In most cases, the decisions are clearcut but there are some which are doubtful - indeed just yesterday I was delighted to be able to accept a member who's initial signup waved two yellow flags at me, but after an email exchange (s)he turned out to be genuine.

We have been made much stronger over the years by accepting and listening to / dealing with the arguments of a small number of members with whom we have not been in agreement. And I hope will continue to welcome)anyone with reasoned argument in a different direction to our own; occasionally it may mean things get a bit lively. 

Whilst I don't share certain views with Jeremy C,  I will admit to admit to finding his competitors in the Labour leadership contest a little seedy - "we need to take XXXX direction so we can have a realistic chance of getting into government" strikes me as being a case of putting a quest for power in front of principles.  But then you may call it "pragmatism" and that's something we all have to accept (after a deep breath) sometimes.

I hope we see a lot more people joining the forum over the next few weeks too  Wink Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 10:29:27 »

I initially assumed that you were talking about the controversial Jeremy C but then realised you were talking about the controversial Jeremy C instead. Wink

(Clarkson v Corbyn) It was the motoring reference that initially threw me!

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 14:44:45 »

I initially assumed that you were talking about the controversial Jeremy C but then realised you were talking about the controversial Jeremy C instead. Wink

I thought that you were talking about the Health Secretary, then I remembered that he is called Jeremy HUNT
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 22:10:55 »

...then I remembered that he is called Jeremy HUNT

By everyone except Jim Naughtie.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 07:35:58 »

..bet he never forgets now though.  Grin
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 10:10:27 »

..bet he never forgets now though.  Grin

Well, Mr Hunt has moved on and we have a new Culture Secretary now. Less potential for Spoonerisms.

It's on YouTube; always worth listening again (I won't provide a link; you can find it if you want to). I have to admire Jim's professionalism in holding it together when he realised what he'd said.

"Pardon me; coughing fit." Priceless.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 10:32:47 »

I know someone who once had an unfortunate incident while reporting on the Coxless Pairs at Henley Royal Regatta.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 16:45:39 »

I know someone who once had an unfortunate incident while reporting on the Coxless Pairs at Henley Royal Regatta.

The pastor's wife at my church struggled with that one, one Sunday morning during the 2000 Olympics. We laughed so much afterwards that we nearly spilled our Bucks Fizz.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 16:56:18 »

Not forgetting the time Trevor McDonald meant to say, "Kent Countryside".

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 17:03:18 »

Seem to remember he had a problem with Turkish Kurds too.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 17:12:17 »

Not a Spoonerism but funny miscommunication:

https://youtu.be/auNXpFmj9U8?t=3m4s

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 17:15:38 »

Norman Smith (BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) political journo) recently made a more direct slip-up live on-air of course, calling Nigel Farage something very rude indeed!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 00:52:05 »

We laughed so much afterwards that we nearly spilled our Bucks Fizz.

A relative of mine, in the hotel trade in Devon (names not given, to protect the guilty!) recounted to me the following story.

There was a new waitress who ventured out into the dining room to take an order from an elderly couple. After much discussion, and several changes of mind about what food and drink the customers actually required, the waitress wanted to make sure she had noted their order correctly. She apparently asked, "so, is it one or two Busy F*cks you wanted?" - before rushing back to the kitchen, scarlet with embarrassment. Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 01:46:57 »

There was also the classic 'didn't quite get his leg over' cricket incident, where Brian Johnston and Jonathan Agnew gradually fall apart while trying to continue their summary.  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: