Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:39:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[77] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[72] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[70] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[63] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Buckfastleigh/Heathfield tour: October 10, 2015
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'First Devon and Exeter Explorer' HST Special  (Read 25269 times)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 22:57:50 »

With the newly reformed Sharpness "Vale of Berkeley Railway" just started, this branch could be a candidate for a new Devon initiative. So many similarities, workable track bed and a possible tourist location, plus future rail diversion for the future. Dreaming? Yes, but a nice dream.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 23:04:06 »

BTW (by the way), I was referring to the Heathfield Branch, I am aware that B'fastleigh is on the South Devon Railway, I go there quite a lot.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2015, 00:18:08 »

Video footage of the green set visiting the South Devon Railway and Heathfield branch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=761&v=6zFpOyefoQ8

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2015, 05:53:07 »

With the newly reformed Sharpness "Vale of Berkeley Railway" just started, this branch could be a candidate for a new Devon initiative. So many similarities, workable track bed and a possible tourist location, plus future rail diversion for the future. Dreaming? Yes, but a nice dream.

Heathfield is a "difficult" dream, I fear.  Ideas sought?   I was on the ACoRP (Association of Community Rail Partnerships) special on 2nd October that visited the branch, including the bay at Newton Abbott.  An interesting run alongside sections of the older derelict canal, and it's a crying shame to see a line mothballed.  It runs up into an industrial / china clay area, close to the main A38, and I don't see any spectacular views even if opened out.   As a passenger / parkway station the line perhaps doesn't point in the right direction.   As part of a diversionary route (it used to run on to Mortenhampstead, and to Exeter), I understand that the route is tight, includes a long (collapsed??) tunnel and twisted and the trackbed's not all in place.  I wonder if there are already too many heritage railways very close by and a third might not be viable - indeed might dilute customers from the others.

But I did say "ideas sought" and I am aware of at least one other line that was not taken on (by a CRP (Community Rail Partnership)) on the basis that this extra line would be a potential albatross around its neck which has now become a line with a CRP in its own right and is doing OK.  And looking on the preservation side, whilst there's a lack of sheds / stabling, there remains a single bay at Newton Abbott with the trackbed / space to install a second platform face and loop / centre siding.  And there's already a loop and a (scruffy) platform face at Heathfield.  So perhaps something could be done for this asset?   Commercial care needed - "what can we do with this line?" is a bit like the tail wagging the dog and a risky way to start something ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 15:07:55 »

You mentioned ACoRP (Association of Community Rail Partnerships), special. Was that linked to the ACoRP awards in Torquay the previous day?

Some info here: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=16279.0
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 19:28:41 »

It was a privilege to be on the train yesterday and despite a fairly low turnout I'm sure lots was raised in aid of the chairity. I stayed on the train throughout the journey and was great to see a huge number of volunteers who never stopped throughout the day.

To see an HST (High Speed Train) and steam in action side by side was a unique and wonderful experience and to see such differents scenery outside the window kept everybody interested.

Network Rail were busy recently clipping back the vegetation on the Heathfield branch and bar one or two scrapes the HST came away unscathed. Both trips went right down to the buffers at the end of the branch.

VIPs were treated to a Pullman-esque style breakfast with a Travelling Chef making a welcome return to cater for all onboard.

All in all, a great day out and my praise goes to all the volunteers (mostly GWR (Great Western Railway) staff) and organisers who made the whole day possible.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 07:24:22 »

Network Rail were busy recently clipping back the vegetation on the Heathfield branch and bar one or two scrapes the HST (High Speed Train) came away unscathed. Both trips went right down to the buffers at the end of the branch.

That was one thing that was very noticeable on the trip with GWR (Great Western Railway) in the 150 the previous week - we frequently got showered with leaves, and the occasional small branch, as we made our way to Heathfield.  It was also noticeable going out to Okehampton, which shows how quickly the vegetation had grown back since the last Sunday train from Exeter just under a month before.

I saw NR» (Network Rail - home page) workmen attacking the bushes at the entrance to the Heathfield branch just to the east of Newton Abbot station last Monday, there was certainly a lot to clear.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 17:20:48 »

I saw NR» (Network Rail - home page) workmen attacking the bushes ...

They didn't leave too many leaves on the line, did they?  Roll Eyes Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 19:00:21 »

From Devon Live

Network Rail has said that 'significant investment' would be required before plans to reopen a disused railway line could come to fruition. No passenger trains have travelled on the Teign Valley line between Newton Abbot to Heathfield since 1959, and in recent years, use of the line has dwindled to just the occasional freight train.

Funny - I could have sworn I travelled by passenger train to Heathfield in the autumn of 2015.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2017, 19:06:59 »

Yes - I seem to remember it too.

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2017, 19:32:51 »

Strangely the curve coming onto the branch is now deemed too sharp and no longer permits passenger trains!

It follows a derailment up country on a similar sharp corner. A check(?) rail is required on the curve before any further passenger trains enter the line.

I also gather flood damage has occurred near Teignbridge,

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2017, 22:03:24 »

Yes - I seem to remember it too.

Moi aussi  Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: