I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:17:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cotswold Line timetable changes from December 2015  (Read 43083 times)
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2015, 09:53:59 »

Not sure why I didn't pick up on this one before (and I don't think anyone else has mentioned it) but there's some quite radical changes this December which tick a couple of boxes regarding problems with the existing timetable.  Most notably the 15:52 Paddington to Worcester is to become a HST (High Speed Train) again (only running as far as Moreton).  There's also an additional 15:22 Paddington to Great Malvern service (Class 180) extending the current 15:22 Paddington to Oxford service, and the 16:22 Paddington to Oxford service will now form the 'Halts' train through to Great Malvern, again a Class 180.

I can see the 15:22/16:22 from Paddington becoming a bit of a squeeze at least as far as Slough, but having a full length 15:52 and the extra 15:22 should remove Cotswold Line crowding at a stroke and hopefully spread out the number of passengers, and the Chiltern service from Marylebone to Oxford Parkway, which will be up and running by then, will add further London to Oxford capacity.

Also, something we've mentioned many times on here in the past, and that is a later service at weekends, and I'm slightly surprised (but delighted) that the 23:18 Paddington to Oxford service will extend through to Moreton-In-Marsh (calling at the usual stops) on Friday evenings.

There are several other alterations including another HST replacing a Class 180 in the early afternoon from Paddington, and several return journeys altered as a result of the changes: http://www.clpg.org.uk/content.php?pagename=News-Page

Great news for Cotswold Line passengers!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Steve Bray

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 12:34:21 »

That is good news. The best news in my opinion is probably the extension of the 1522 from Paddington to Great Malvern. For many years in the 70's and 80's there was a 1500 Paddington/Hereford (or variations 1452 and 1507 I think). And it means that there'll be no ticket restrictions on the 1522.

Nice for the halts to have a direct service back from Paddington; its just a shame that somewhere like Ascott u Wychwood cannot have a mid-morning service to Oxford/London.

I don't suppose the rather nonsensical mid-afternoon flurry of services from Worcester to Oxford/Paddington has been changed?       
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 14:03:29 »

Not by very much - all HSTs (High Speed Train)/180s are still required back in London as early as possible in the peak...
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 14:08:32 »

Good news for me too but I know several who travel beyond Moreton-in-Marsh who are not so happy. The 1552 departs Oxford at 1649 which fits in well with finishing work. A 1622 departure is too early which means they are now going to have to wait an extra 35 minutes. But any change is going to adversely affect some and it does seem there will be far more winners than losers.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 20:36:25 »

The 1552 departs Oxford at 1649 which fits in well with finishing work. A 1622 departure is too early which means they are now going to have to wait an extra 35 minutes. But any change is going to adversely affect some and it does seem there will be far more winners than losers.

I don't know what you regard as normal finishing time but I would guess that for most 35 minutes later would be much more useful.
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 22:05:55 »

The 1552 departs Oxford at 1649 which fits in well with finishing work. A 1622 departure is too early which means they are now going to have to wait an extra 35 minutes. But any change is going to adversely affect some and it does seem there will be far more winners than losers.

I don't know what you regard as normal finishing time but I would guess that for most 35 minutes later would be much more useful.

There's already a train about 35 minutes later (though there are some minor tweaks regarding timings there) for those who leave later. It's those who leave earlier and travel beyond Moreton who are not so thrilled by these proposals. But, as I said, any change will have some losers. I'm not one of them, though, and more than happy with this!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 22:48:13 »

I've just had a look through the timetable, and - what a surprise - journey times extended for Worcester again! Angry

The 16.22 now takes a whopping 2 hours 49 minutes (arr 19.11). Is that a record? For a journey that should take no longer than 2 hours? Shocked

I mean you could get the 16.15 Chiltern to Warwick Parkway (arr 17.31), drive home (45 - 60 mins) and cook your tea before the even limbs into Shrub Hill at 18.57, let alone you get home.

I know it's the halts train, but do they seriously think this is going to increase usage of the line?
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 23:21:07 »

The 16.22 now takes a whopping 2 hours 49 minutes (arr 19.11). Is that a record? For a journey that should take no longer than 2 hours? Shocked

It takes the same amount of time from December as it does currently, except that it'll become a through train rather than involving a change at Oxford.  It arrives at Worcester Shrub Hill at 18:57 (again as it does now), but has a long layover there due to the antiquated track and signalling layout meaning there's no path for over ten minutes.

Before the redoubling it used to arrive WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) at 19:11 and WOF at 19:17, so to answer your question it's rather quicker than it used to be back in 2012 when it involved a change at Oxford, then a Turbo onwards, rather than a direct Adelante service as it will become in December.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 10:21:56 »

oooh, more exaggeration from esteemed member @BTLine.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 18:39:59 »

He'll probably go quiet for a few months again now.  He tends to drop his bombs and then retreat...  Roll Eyes

charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 20:45:06 »

Waiting for the 1552 Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill at Oxford today, and seeing that the 1520 Worcester Shrub Hill to Paddington due on platform 1 was running about 15 minutes later, it occurred to me that GWR (Great Western Railway) are planning to run things very tight indeed over the single track after the December changes. Any slight delay is going to affect all the immediately following services. I'm wondering how often we might see the 1552 terminated at Oxford in such circumstances.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 19:46:45 »

The new timetable seems to have settled in pretty well and is a vast improvement on the old one.

The 15:22 Paddington to Great Malvern is still quite a snug fit with the odd standing passenger, but nothing like the old crush that used to be the case when it was the 15:51.  That train, now being a HST (High Speed Train) has plenty of seats on board from Oxford presenting a much more pleasant environment than the old train which often had standees from Paddington as far as Moreton-In-Marsh.

The 16:22 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-GMV is now a bit of a squeeze, especially between Paddington and Slough.  Perhaps it would be sensible to remove the Slough stop on that train and reinstate it on the 15:52 which being a HST could now easily cope again?  You could then remove the rather pointless 15:40 PAD-MAI (Maidenhead station) which is very underused 6-car Turbo which could perhaps be put to better use?  Though they have to be back at Paddington in time to form the 17:45 PAD-RDG(resolve) stopper.

Another minor change is that the 17:22 PAD-HFD» (Hereford - next trains), which often got delayed at Oxford by the preceding stopper arrival at 18:15, now has a clear run (the stopper is recessed at Didcot), so is far more punctual.

The one train I haven't had chance to observe is the new late one to Moreton-In-Marsh on Friday evenings.  Does anyone know how well used it is?

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 08:42:48 »

Well loaded (40+) to at least Charlbury the only time I checked
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: