16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 09:45:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[109] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[63] Signage - not making it easy ...
[13] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost property charges  (Read 27978 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2015, 00:06:27 »

In most station, even up to quite large ones, nobody is specifically employed to deal with lost property, it is just part of the job description of, for example, a member of platform dispatch staff.  Of course there are costs involved, but only the very large stations have dedicated staff employed.  Personally I feel a small charge is warranted for items and that charge should raise depending on how long the item has been kept (and its value), but to charge ^15 to pick up a brolley or bunch of keys is frankly absurd and fortunately the TOCs (Train Operating Company) think so to.

How much would you charge for small items and how much would you charge for large/designer items like laptops and tablets?

No doubt you Pen-Pad would find a way to criminalise losing property on the railway and charge accordingly.

I find that question uncalled for. I know many of us (myself included) had good cause to disagree with the posters view on another subject. But to effectively raise the issue again, on a completely different topic, and in response to a perfectly reasonable question, seems to be goading Penz - Pad to respond.   

It was a statement, not a question. Deliberately flippant and one I stand by. And one I hope Pen-Pad responds to.

Every little bit of information that can be gleaned from his postings is information that can prove or (more likely) disprove his bona fides.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 01:43:26 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Penzance-Paddington

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2015, 00:33:03 »

In most station, even up to quite large ones, nobody is specifically employed to deal with lost property, it is just part of the job description of, for example, a member of platform dispatch staff.  Of course there are costs involved, but only the very large stations have dedicated staff employed.  Personally I feel a small charge is warranted for items and that charge should raise depending on how long the item has been kept (and its value), but to charge ^15 to pick up a brolley or bunch of keys is frankly absurd and fortunately the TOCs (Train Operating Company) think so to.

How much would you charge for small items and how much would you charge for large/designer items like laptops and tablets?

No doubt you Pen-Pad would find a way to criminalise losing property on the railway and charge accordingly.

I find that question uncalled for. I know many of us (myself included) had good cause to disagree with the posters view on another subject. But to effectively raise the issue again, on a completely different topic, and in response to a perfectly reasonable question, seems to be goading Penz - Pad to respond.   

It was a statement, not a question. Deliberately flippant and one I stand by. And one I hope Pen-Pad responds to.

Every little bit of information that can be gleaned from his postings is information that can prove (or more likely) disprove his bona fides.

I'm not going to respond just so you can put me on your 'Kicked my cat' Twitter thingy.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2015, 00:38:44 »

FGW (First Great Western)/GWR (Great Western Railway) Kicked My Cat.

Amusing. But naff all to do with me. Not my Twitter thingy.  Roll Eyes

Although you may now feature if someone should link your postings here to that blog...

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2015, 06:16:35 »

Gentlemen, can we keep somewhat on track in our traditional friendly manner?  Please let matters which are in the hand of the moderator / admin team be lead by that team. The tiny handful of members who were on that team for a while, but who have taken their own decision to revert to a lower level of involvement, should especially consider the extra workload put onto volunteers by the need to actively intervene in threads, and they should also consider that they're not going to be privy to the various discussions that have gone on behind the scenes on tactics to bring matters towards a conclusion.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2015, 06:33:52 »

I have stated my thoughts earlier in this thread, and won't repeat my general view.  A couple of things newly worth comment

a) There was a suggestion of 14.80 as the fee.  As an average, maybe - but as a specific fee that seems very odd and although the question has been asked "why choose an odd amount", I haven't yet seen an answer.   I am aware of the cynicism felt in Wiltshire where car parking charges are things like 1.10 "no change given"  and people feel that it's done to get people to overpay - but that can't be the lost and found reason, where change is given.   Or is it?

b) The idea of loading the return of an item with the cost of delay minutes / security alerts caused, etc ... I would prefer to see such charges handled separately as they require significant investigation, calculation, etc in the rare cases they happen, and the  judgement of professionals who perhaps have legal skill and aren't going to be the day to day lost property team because these security alert incidents are quite rare, and may be co-incicental on who actually finds the property and their personal level of concern.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Penzance-Paddington

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2015, 22:36:53 »

these security alert incidents are quite rare, and may be co-incicental on who actually finds the property and their personal level of concern.

Out of interest, how many passengers on here would report an un-attended piece of luggage to a member of staff/BTP (British Transport Police)? I'm just curious.

Edited by Brucey to fix quotes
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 19:05:03 by Brucey » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2015, 22:39:39 »

Firstly, I'd have to find a member of GWR (Great Western Railway) staff, never mind a BTP (British Transport Police) officer, on board a train, for example ...  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2015, 02:03:21 »

Firstly, I'd have to find a member of GWR (Great Western Railway) staff, never mind a BTP (British Transport Police) officer, on board a train, for example ...  Roll Eyes

There's usually one up the front.  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2015, 13:24:28 »

I must admit that I have avoided reporting unattended items for fear of causing an evacuation and consequent delays.

Reporting unattended luggage was important decades ago when terrorists  used to leave bombs in public places concealed in luggage etc.

Less relevant these days though as the current fashion is to keep ones bomb with one, or to carry out attacks with a gun or knife and not involving explosives.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2015, 13:41:45 »

At the new New Street on Friday last while I busy taking photos, someone dropped a bag right in the middle of the main concourse and walked off.

Both I and another person spotted this and we went straight to the group of BTP (British Transport Police) officers and PCSOs stood by the ticket office to report it.

I must admit I decided to leave the area and watch the BTP from afar. Seemed like it was someone playing silly buggers as the BTP gave the bag a cursory search and then removed it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 14:49:41 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2015, 13:52:09 »

I must admit that I have avoided reporting unattended items for fear of causing an evacuation and consequent delays.

Reporting unattended luggage was important decades ago when terrorists  used to leave bombs in public places concealed in luggage etc.

Less relevant these days though as the current fashion is to keep ones bomb with one, or to carry out attacks with a gun or knife and not involving explosives.

One must admit that one would rather have ones journey delayed for a while, giving one the excuse to calm ones nerves with a pint or two, than have ones constituent parts separated & redistributed throughout the vicinity courtesy of explosive devices!  Shocked
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2015, 19:34:08 »

When I was at school in the mid 70s during the IRA's bombing campaign of the mainland it was decreed that we should all have our names visible on our briefcases.  One of my classmates took great delight in painting his case with his.  His surname was Ireland.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2015, 00:00:05 »

One must admit that one would rather have ones journey delayed for a while, giving one the excuse to calm ones nerves with a pint or two, than have ones constituent parts separated & redistributed throughout the vicinity courtesy of explosive devices!  Shocked

Well so would I ! but my point is that at present the risk of being blown up by a bomb in unattended luggage seems to be effectively zero.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: