17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
16:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
15:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:10 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 18:15:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[72] Where have I been?
[70] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[66] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[59] Death of another bus station?
[53] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Rugby World Cup - underestimated number of fans  (Read 86451 times)
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2015, 17:52:31 »

Another cock up by gWr; official brief is that travelling FROM Exeter you must alight at Digby and travelling FROM Exmouth you must alight at Newcourt.

However, the posters are worded

"If travelling in the Exeter direction you must alight at Digby; if travelling in the Exmouth direction you must alight at Newcourt".

The phrase "in the ... direction" means towards, not from.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 18:16:49 by plymothian » Logged

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2015, 18:03:03 »

Newcourt in both directions? Doh!
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2015, 09:49:42 »

You appear to have misread it. The poster is referring to the system in place AFTER the game rather than before it.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2015, 09:53:48 »

Sounds like Cardiff might be a bit grim after todays match - ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) warning of up to 3 hour delays to pass through the queuing system at Cardiff Central:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-34331067

Fans have been warned to expect train delays as Australia take on Fiji in the Rugby World Cup in Cardiff.

Thousands of spectators will travel to the city's Millennium Stadium where the group stage game kicks off at 16:45 BST on Wednesday.

Arriva Trains Wales warned passengers could face a three-hour wait for trains after the match.

Welsh Secretary Stephen Crabb said he told rail bosses to "fix" overcrowding problems after issues on Saturday.

He said: "I think Cardiff has already got a reputation as the best city in Europe in which to watch rugby and we don't want any transport-related issues undermining the hard-earned reputation that we're acquiring as a great host city for international events... there are loads and loads of big pluses, but let's fix this."

Arriva Trains Wales has advised fans travelling to Cardiff from Bridgend, Pencoed, Llanharan, Pontyclun and Cwmbran, Pontypool and Abergavenny to catch the earliest trains possible as carriages will already be busy by the time they reach those stations.

The usual queuing system will be in place at Cardiff Central station after the match and live travel updates for Arriva Trains Wales services will be posted online throughout the day.

Lynne Milligan, of Arriva Trains Wales said: "Based on travel demand data and on Saturday evening's experience, we are predicting around 35,000 people wanting to travel back by train after the match.

"We can move on average 10,000 people per hour through our queuing system but unfortunately for some of the busier queues, this could mean up to a three hour wait."

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2015, 09:58:25 »

But, to be very much welcomed by those who charge GWR (Great Western Railway) with generally ripping off customers during events....a one-day easement allowing super off-peak fares on the 0815 ex-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) and all trains after that to Cardiff today.

Ticket offices were instructed to only sell SSS/SSR tickets for these trains
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2015, 17:42:10 »

But, to be very much welcomed by those who charge GWR (Great Western Railway) with generally ripping off customers during events....a one-day easement allowing super off-peak fares on the 0815 ex-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) and all trains after that to Cardiff today.

Ticket offices were instructed to only sell SSS/SSR tickets for these trains

Step in the right direction, good to see common sense prevailing - suffice to say it's been chaos again today for those travelling to Cardiff for the match, overcrowding to the extent that customers have been wedging themselves in luggage racks as there wasn't even enough room to stand on some trains.........looks like it won't be much better afterwards......and this alongside the sheer idiocy of NR» (Network Rail - home page) refusing to suspend line closures in key areas this weekend as highlighted on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) last night.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2015, 19:24:56 »

It appears the 17:36 Pad to Oxford which terminated at Didcot was in such a hurry to get to Cardiff it ran early from Maidenhead onwards

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P00600/2015/09/23/advanced
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2015, 20:17:42 »

I would love to know how much Riviera Trains are charging to hire out their trains to the TOC (Train Operating Company)'s.  I imagine they've done quite well out of the Rugby World Cup given the TOC's have no other choice.  I'd reckon you're looking well into a five figure sum per train.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2015, 20:24:18 »

Good to see ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))), GWR (Great Western Railway) and RWC are tweeting regularly to keep everyone informed as they work on getting everyone home from Cardiff. GWR have laid on buses between Cardiff and Bristol Parkway asking passengers for Parkway to use them instead of the train. This will help with capacity for those heading back to London. A queuing system was also in operation at Bristol Parkway this afternoon.

It appears lessons have been learned from the weekend with more staff, queuing systems, supplemtary buses and as many trains as can be operated being provided.

Question is, how are Wales fans going to get home after the match on Saturday evening? Last train leaves Paddington at 2200 Reading at 2230. Hourly service diverted via Bath on Sunday. No extra trains.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2015, 20:27:05 »

I would love to know how much Riviera Trains are charging to hire out their trains to the TOC (Train Operating Company)'s.  I imagine they've done quite well out of the Rugby World Cup given the TOC's have no other choice.  I'd reckon you're looking well into a five figure sum per train.
I imagine they are doing very well out of providing extra trains to the TOC's for RWC. Then again so are the TOCs who are carrying a lot of extra passengers.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2015, 20:35:03 »

But that's been the case since tickets went on sale. Hence those buying will have worked out their options on purchase & made suitable plans
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2015, 21:55:35 »

It seems it is not only TOCs (Train Operating Company) who have been caught out.  I understand there are semi-professional and amateur rugby clubs trying to call off games this weekend because they have suddenly discovered their star players have tickets for RWC games.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2015, 22:45:33 »

It seems it is not only TOCs (Train Operating Company) who have been caught out.  I understand there are semi-professional and amateur rugby clubs trying to call off games this weekend because they have suddenly discovered their star players have tickets for RWC games.

the team I play for, it appears we have enough players. Only a friendly so shouldn't be any issues. England are on at 8, get the game played them get in the bar for the evening.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2015, 05:37:17 »

You say that, October 10 at Old Trafford, Manchester there's the Super League Grand Final starting at 18:00, 2 hours later at the Manchester City Stadium there's England v Uruguay in the RWC!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2015, 08:56:43 »

the team I play for, it appears we have enough players. Only a friendly so shouldn't be any issues. England are on at 8, get the game played them get in the bar for the evening.

It's known as "International Flu" and has been infecting amateur rugby players for years, normally when exposed to a ticket!  Grin  We've got more than enough players for both of our teams in the afternoon and similarly will have the match on in the bar later.

According to FGW (First Great Western) this morning, last train off Paddington to Cardiff tomorrow is 2330, 0010 from Reading - even so that could still be tight from Twickenham, I doubt the match will finish much before 10pm if you take into account injuries/TMO delays etc and the inevitable crush at Twickenham station afterwards - if you're heading for Reading my advice would be to walk to Whitton station - trains will still be packed but you should be able to get onto the platform safely - if you're heading for Paddington.......good luck!!!

There are coaches available (organised by RWC) after the match - some to Richmond/Waterloo, some fast to Waterloo - a pal of mine who is working as a volunteer was helping to marshal these and they worked quite well after the Fiji match- at least as well as queuing up for Twickenham station, notwithstanding the unfortunate accident after that match.

Park and ride at Kempton park racecourse working well too.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 09:04:07 by TaplowGreen » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: