Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:31:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Rugby World Cup - underestimated number of fans  (Read 85457 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 03, 2015, 04:26:31 »

Good to see that lessons seem to have been learned by FGW (First Great Western).
John R

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 03, 2015, 09:27:41 »

It appears as though at least 4 of the London services were cancelled and returned ECS (Empty Coaching Stock). So that's good as it would appear that everyone heading back managed to get on a service within an hour or so of full time. Though it does indicate the difficulty of judging the appropriate amount of provision to use.

I suspect many people were put off using rail because of the previous well publicised difficulties, and so made alternative arrangements. Together with the fact that only 4 of the services were shown, which would certainly have made me wary of actually being able to get on one.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 03, 2015, 23:57:26 »

Oh well, looks like we'll have to cheer on tournament co-hosts Wales then...

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #168 on: October 04, 2015, 00:22:26 »

Member John R will no doubt accept our belated and grudging support, IndustryInsider ... Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 04, 2015, 13:07:43 »

Some praise from me after my day out on Friday when there was a Cardiff rugby game (I'm no kind of sports' fan so forgive any error in nomenclature).  There were clearly issues around re-arranged stock, diverted to serve the fans.  Thus one train from Exeter had extra stops put in, well advertised on the platform, but not communicated to the conductor until she got to Taunton. At Taunton, the usual evening platform arrangements were altered to use the island platforms for all north bound trains which enabled the staff to a) clearly direct passengers to the correct train and platform, b) walk along the train and inform people of the extra stops and c) be a presence to re-assure regulars and occasional travelers.  By bunching the staff together (and I assume having extra people at gone 20:00) in this way, some disgruntlement was diffused by explanations about coupling up units and reassurance that slightly delayed trains were on their way.

Here, I thought, was clear evidence of thinking about the effects of the rugby arrangements well outside the immediate area and obvious flows.  I'm sure not everyone's experience was good, but I was very gruntled!  Grin
John R

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 04, 2015, 19:04:11 »

Member John R will no doubt accept our belated and grudging support, IndustryInsider ... Roll Eyes
Indeed I will... 

I would note that my vociferous cheering on of the Aussies last night (albeit from the comfort of my armchair) was purely tactical, given I don't reckon Wales stand much of a chance of beating them next weekend, so it was our best chance to progress.  And it's somewhat ironic that England's untimely exit is originally due to a Welsh loss against Australia 3 years ago, which meant they fell to 9th in the rankings a couple of days before the draw was made, and thus outside the seeds. Hence the Group of Death was born, which turned out to include the host nation.

Can't see us progressing beyond the quarters mind you, but who knows...

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 05, 2015, 16:21:14 »

Indeed I will... 

I would note that my vociferous cheering on of the Aussies last night (albeit from the comfort of my armchair) was purely tactical, given I don't reckon Wales stand much of a chance of beating them next weekend, so it was our best chance to progress.  And it's somewhat ironic that England's untimely exit is originally due to a Welsh loss against Australia 3 years ago, which meant they fell to 9th in the rankings a couple of days before the draw was made, and thus outside the seeds. Hence the Group of Death was born, which turned out to include the host nation.

Can't see us progressing beyond the quarters mind you, but who knows...

Good luck against the Aussies, they are on fire at the moment it seems!

In England's defence, the last two defeats were purely tactical, we are of course saving ourselves for the 6 Nations, which everyone knows is far more important!  Wink
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 11, 2015, 12:48:53 »

Sounds like fun & games getting to Cardiff again today.....massive overcrowding, overrunning engineering & Severn tunnel blocked at the moment heading into Wales.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 11, 2015, 13:59:30 »

Here, I thought, was clear evidence of thinking about the effects of the rugby arrangements well outside the immediate area and obvious flows.  I'm sure not everyone's experience was good, but I was very gruntled! 

I am sure trainer would have even more gruntled if he could have pushed me on to the line. leaving me just dead chuffed ! Huh
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 18, 2015, 09:54:49 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) have been thwarted at almost every turn this morning.

Several additional London Paddington to Cardiffs after it seems an agreement was reached to end the engineering work half an hour earlier than originally planned.  However some of the works over-ran the new finish time and caused delays.  Then one of the engineering trains broke down between Didcot and Swindon meaning at least one of the extra trains, already delayed, had to reverse to cross over and use the reversible signalling to get past the failed train.

Apparently at 8am there were around 1,500 people waiting for trains at Paddington.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 18, 2015, 10:20:33 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) have been thwarted at almost every turn this morning.

Several additional London Paddington to Cardiffs after it seems an agreement was reached to end the engineering work half an hour earlier than originally planned.  However some of the works over-ran the new finish time and caused delays.  Then one of the engineering trains broke down between Didcot and Swindon meaning at least one of the extra trains, already delayed, had to reverse to cross over and use the reversible signalling to get past the failed train.

Apparently at 8am there were around 1,500 people waiting for trains at Paddington.

There were more than that well before 0800!!! Pal of mine got there at 0730 and there were already very long queues....non existent/poor/inaudible information being provided to customers, most relying on Twitter to find out what was going on.

There are still delays but they seem to be easing....it's a shame because for once GWR seemed to have got their act together in terms of well publicised capacity/organisation, only to be let down by overrunning works.

Luckily its rugby fans rather than football hooligans!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 18, 2015, 11:02:41 »

.....and in other news......http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/rugby-world-cup-thousands-queue-for-trains-to-cardiff-after-engineering-works-overrun-a3093036.html
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 18, 2015, 13:06:20 »

Looks like pretty much everyone would have made it in time for the 1pm kick-off.  All the GWR (Great Western Railway) regular and additional trains had arrived by 12:35, with two charters arriving later at 12:45 and 12:57 - additional delays to those being caused by a trespasser near Swindon.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 18, 2015, 20:02:57 »

Well the good news for GWR (Great Western Railway) is that's the end of matches in Cardiff with the remaining matches in London featuring only Southern Hemisphere sides   Sad Felt for Scotland who came closest out of the home nations to getting through to the semis. Bit unsure of some of the ref's decisions today but I'll leave that to those who have a better technical knowledge of the game than me.

Agreed, Scotland desperately unlucky and that particular ref has been criticised in similar circumstances....hopefully the experience will help GWR prepare better for similar events at Cardiff come the 6 Nations.....they've got until 2017 when England play there again!!!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 18, 2015, 20:12:43 »

The 6 nations are fine as the majority of tickets are sold through the welsh rugby clubs, so there's a predictable minority of fans travelling from outside Wales, and the demand is reasonably well managed. For the World Cup it's been the majority of fans coming from across the border which has been the problem, as we saw for Team GB (Great Britain) football in the Olympics.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
  Print  

Jump to: