06:50 London Paddington to Evesham
07:12 Plymouth to Penzance
10:26 Frome to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 07:56:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] You see all sorts on the bus.
[53] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[46] Where have I been?
[44] "We can’t get from A to B in Britain and it might just be th...
[41] "Mayflower"
[34] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Advance tickets on North Cotswold Line  (Read 10542 times)
CobboldCamper

View Profile Email
« on: September 21, 2015, 18:16:18 »

Does anyone remember this press release, which mysteriously failed to mention the withdrawal of off peak fares from evening services from Paddington to the Cotswolds? 

https://www.gwr.com/about-us/media-centre/news/2015/april/10000-seats-at-gbp10-for-north-cotswold-passengers

It read ^10,000 seats at just ^10 for North Cotswold rail passengers^  Turns out the ^10 tickets from  Kingham to Paddington were available for just six months.  Try booking an advance ticket now, and unless you're cleverer than me, the cheapest you will find event three months out is ^18.

Thank you GWR (Great Western Railway).  ^We're giving the West back its Great Western Railway^ !!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 18:32:22 »

Welcome to the forum, CobboldCamper

There was a discussion on the withdrawal of off peak fares on the busiest (?) evening trains from Paddington at
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=15649.0
but to my knowledge no indication of the metrics of advance fare allocation into the future.

Not a line I know much about - I'll leave others to comment further; just wanted to welcome you and add the link in to what's really "the story so far ..."

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 19:11:14 »

I've taken a further look ... and noted that the original press release doesn't specify any particular stations as "North Cotswold" - so where is the limit?   Taking 22nd October (random day), I've found plenty of very low advance fares into London from Charlbury ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 20:33:33 »

Being deeply cynical, I'd assumed that these were semi-mythical fares, readily available on trains that no-one would ever use.

But prompted by Grahame I've looked at the prices, and there are indeed sensible prices available, even on the supposedly-full peak hour trains. So I'm going to look more seriously at this next time I go to London.

But I really don't understand the logic of the pricing. coming back from London on Tuesday October 6 I'm being offered these one-way prices:

15:52 departure ^6.00
    17:22    ^14.00
    17:49    ^14:00
    18:22    ^14:00
    19:22    ^6.00
    20:22    ^18.00
    21:48    ^26.00

Could someone explain why the 20:22 is more expensive than the 19:22, and why the 21:48 is the most expensive? They're both HSTs (High Speed Train). The 21:48 will typically arrive at Shrub Hill with more coaches than passengers.

Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 20:43:38 »

The 21:48 will typically arrive at Shrub Hill with more coaches than passengers.

And the 1552 often departs with more passengers than air space. Can't work out why it is the joint-cheapest.
CobboldCamper

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 14:12:20 »

Thanks for the comments - turns out there was a glitch in the system which meant the fares were initially set at the wrong price.  Good news is  they've offered a full refund and tickets now available for ^6.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 14:41:53 »

Thanks for the comments - turns out there was a glitch in the system which meant the fares were initially set at the wrong price.  Good news is  they've offered a full refund and tickets now available for ^6.

Result  Grin  ... with a fare system which has grown up (in my opinion) to be overcomplex, glitches will happen (and it can be darned hard to work out what is and isn't a glitch!

IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 14:59:37 »

glitches will happen (and it can be darned hard to work out what is and isn't a glitch!

It certainly is when, as you pointed out, seats are available on the 15:52 for ^6 but cost more than four times more on the much quieter 21:48!  I despair sometimes...

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 15:41:25 »

glitches will happen

Particularly when it's FGW (First Great Western)/GWR (Great Western Railway) tinkering with the fares system. There are still some flows where Advance Purchase fares are not being offered at the same price across all GWR outlets, as well as some where AP's are being offered at a higher price that the walk up single valid at the same time.

'Glitch' suggests a system fault. These issues have arisen because of human error though.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 16:27:53 »

I'd love the Customer Panel(s) to get their teeth intonthis problem, but unless you provide clear evidence/examples, we'll simply have to assume you're making this up....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 16:42:44 »

Assume away. I've provided examples in the recent past. However, it isn't my job to help GWR (Great Western Railway) fix things they broke.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 17:30:55 »

And I understand they have been corrected
jdw.wor
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 17:37:14 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) must expect considerable passenger flows this Saturday on the North Cotswold Line as most trains best fare between Paddington and Worcester is the Off peak single at ^31.20 but on the 08.21, 11.21, 18.21, 21.48 an Advance fare of ^30!!! is available.
Doesn't this bring the whole Advance offering into some disrepute? For ^1.20 more you are not restricted by any of the Advance Conditions.
Is there anything happening in the Cotswolds that would justify this miserly approach? I hope the answer is not the South Africa v Samoa game at Villa park and GWR are making sure they get full return from any passengers thinking it will be cheaper to de-tour via Worcester from London. If they are doing this they are undone by Virgin who offer an Advance fare during Saturday of ^22 to Worcester via New Street!

Along with others I do not believe GWR have come close to what they were suggesting would happen with Advance fares when the recent changes took place.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 18:01:20 »

The clue is in 'Advance'. Up to 12 weeks ahead, not a couple of days. The closer you get to date of travel, the lower the discount....every TOC (Train Operating Company) is the same
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 19:33:09 »

And I understand they have been corrected

From the GWR (Great Western Railway) app just now. Newbury to Swansea 24th September at 0933.

Advance ^59.50
Off Peak Single ^51.00

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: