Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Delayed
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 05:23:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[93] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[93] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[90] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[75] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[48] Europeran Rail Timetable
[48] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Night Riviera Sleeper refurb  (Read 38373 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2016, 09:02:20 »

Can honestly say of the 700 or so photos I have posted here not one has been photoshopped - simply because I have never taken the time to learn how to do it - despite several tips and encouragement from bignosemac.

For the record the photo was taken late afternoon on the 21st June 2014.

I've over 2000 photos on Flickr and all are as taken. I haven't a clue how to edit, I've tried once or twice and made a mess so deleted!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2016, 09:35:53 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) Night Riviera stock in the (non-photoshopped) Land of the Midnight Sun  Cheesy   October 2016

« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 09:53:09 by PhilWakely » Logged
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2016, 10:30:19 »

1st fan, to add to your point of you being unaware of day time services, it is used in service summer Saturdays day time to boost services through cornwall to Exeter
Interesting thank you I wasn't aware of that. I assume (looking at the photographs posted) that it's just the seated coaches and not the sleeper carriages that are used?
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2016, 10:35:40 »

1st fan, to add to your point of you being unaware of day time services, it is used in service summer Saturdays day time to boost services through cornwall to Exeter
Interesting thank you I wasn't aware of that. I assume (looking at the photographs posted) that it's just the seated coaches and not the sleeper carriages that are used?

Indeed!
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2016, 16:00:35 »

Although some strange window spacing in the first and third vehicles so they are clearly not standard mk3 coaches - anyone know what's in there?
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2016, 11:07:37 »

some strange window spacing in the first and third vehicles so they are clearly not standard mk3 coaches - anyone know what's in there?
I think the green one behind the loco is one of the three mrk3 brake vehicles (the guard's coach, a bit like the TGS on IC125s I think), but I don't know what the other is.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2016, 11:45:32 »

Buffet car, I reckon

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2016, 12:03:15 »

The rear coach is 10219 a Mk3a (loco hauled) Restaurant First Modular (RFM). That is a Sleeper set buffet carriage. The seating area (to the rear in the picture) is a lounge for the exclusive use of passengers who've booked a berth. That end is usually marshalled next to sleeper carriages (SLEPs). The counter end being marshalled next to the Seated Sleeper carriages.

10219 has slightly unusual full depth windows on the corridor/counter side. That's the side pictured. You can just make out the handrail across the window. Also the half depth windows on the kitchen side are not blacked out like other Mk3 buffets. 10219 is one of a batch of Mk3a First Opens (FO) converted to RFMs in 1986/87. Original FO number was 11047.

Info gleaned from various sources including:

http://www.abrail.co.uk/lhspassengerdetail.htm
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Open

« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 12:24:23 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2018, 21:50:27 »

The refurbishment of Night Riviera sleeper berths is almost complete with most coaches now having led lighting, power points and hotel style entry keycards.

Last week the first of the new look lounge cars entered service.   It is currently on a diagram which sees it going down to Cornwall on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday nights and back up the following evenings.

There are now more seats as the kitchen area is smaller and the luggage racks, which were rarely used, have been removed.

Here are some views taken last night

There are a number of pairs of single seats around a table.  They look like they should swivel - but they don't!

There are also the bench seats reminiscent of the Caledonian Sleeper

Variously called toadstools or mushrooms, these in the bar area have caused much comment from staff and passengers alike.  The temptation is to try to sit on them - but apparently the idea is to lean against them while propping oneself up on the bar.

The range of drinks behind the bar has been increased with Tarquins Gin, as served on the Pullman, now available along with Luscombe tonic.  There is also Prosecco and a wider range of soft drinks.   There are some additional food items including a deli selection of meats with cheese wedges, olives and crackers or a houmous dish.   However there is a distinct lack of hot food apart from a tuna panini.   I do think there is scope for improvement there.

The bar area is divided into two.  The area you can see above is for sleeper berth passengers.  Through the door there is the service area for seated passengers.  Currently one member of staff is trying to do both and it may be that a second person will be required, especially on busy nights.

The first accessible berth is now also in service

..and adjacent to it is the accessible toilet - with very little danger of you forgetting to lock the door

Passengers boarding or leaving the train at Paddington have long had a lounge facility and showers.  This has now been extended to both Penzance and Truro in a joint project with Cornwall Council.  You can book a shower through the customer host on board the train and then make use of the facilities in Cornwall.

During the summer months a single berth supplement is £80 but reduces to £70 from September 1st.  However there often advance tickets which undercut that.  I recently had a solo berth for £74 which included travel.
Sleepy

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2019, 18:25:10 »

Sleeper goes from strength to strength - looking at random date Thursday May 9th ex - Paddington all berths booked, the extra Sleeper coach to be introduced at May timetable change will be useful.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 19:02:51 by sleepy » Logged
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2019, 19:52:09 »

This week I booked three sleeper berths. Two either side of Easter and one in May. 

Purely anecdotal but there were advance tickets available for all three. 
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2019, 21:41:08 »

Having treated my ladies to a show at the Royal Albert Hall recently, I had occasion to try out the refurbished seating in Coach A of the sleeper [travelling only as far as Exeter].

Both my wife and my daughter delivered a very definite 'thumbs down' to the very hard seats. Both said that, previously, they had easily been able to doze comfortably in their seat - but could not get comfortable enough in the new style seat. I have been told, in no uncertain terms that it'll be a Travelodge in future, returning home the following morning. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2019, 07:20:52 »

Having treated my ladies to a show at the Royal Albert Hall recently, I had occasion to try out the refurbished seating in Coach A of the sleeper [travelling only as far as Exeter].

Both my wife and my daughter delivered a very definite 'thumbs down' to the very hard seats. Both said that, previously, they had easily been able to doze comfortably in their seat - but could not get comfortable enough in the new style seat. I have been told, in no uncertain terms that it'll be a Travelodge in future, returning home the following morning. 

........perfectly good Hilton at Paddington! 😉
Jamsdad

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2019, 22:01:06 »

Cheaper to take the lovely sleeper berths than stay in London. But sitting up overnight? No thanks.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2019, 18:12:16 »

Cheaper to take the lovely sleeper berths than stay in London. But sitting up overnight? No thanks.

I'd agree with that if travelling beyond Exeter - but when journey time is a little over three hours and you arrive at your destination still in the wee small hours, snoozing in a seat is preferable. Unfortunately, snoozing is not an option on the seats provided.

I believe that the seating accommodation is primarily for pax travelling from Plymouth into Cornwall or just within Cornwall.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: