19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 02:27:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Due to the GWR release...  (Read 9313 times)
Charles T

View Profile WWW
« on: October 04, 2015, 08:47:26 »

1. Are they still keeping the quiet carriage but with no advertising?
2. Is it true that not all of the HST (High Speed Train)'s will be repainted?
3. What's happening about the uniforms.
and...
4. When will the 158's go in for refurbishment?

Just a couple of questions that have been on my mind that I'd like to ask.

We are sorry to announce that the .. Great Western Railway service is delayed.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 09:26:21 »

1. Are they still keeping the quiet carriage but with no advertising?
3. What's happening about the uniforms.
and...
4. When will the 158's go in for refurbishment?

Just a couple of questions that have been on my mind that I'd like to ask.

At TravelWatch SouthWest yesterday, Ben Rule spoke.   I'll post the notes I took shortly.   And I'll follow up with what I know from his presentation and one by Diane Burke I saw a couple of weeks ago.

1. I have heard of no change to quite carriages.   I did use one on Friday evening, and as usual there remains the odd person who feels that the rules apply to everyone except themselves  Cheesy

2. Yes

3. There are one staff wearing prototypes / testing them out at the moment, with the full production runs coming next spring.

4. 158s will be replaced by Turbos on Cardiff / Portsmouth and will the head west, with 143 and 153 units being removed from the franchise.   This will be a 2 phase change at May 2017 and December 2018 on current schedule, and I would anticipate that the 3 car 158-9xx units will revert to being 2 card units with a degree of work done at that point.  Whether that's a full refurb, or just a small job, and whether there's another refurb done on them at some stage I don't known.

I did travel on 150238 the other day, with it's posh new disabled-friendly toilet, and I would suspect we'll see much more of that across the remaining "West" fleet.  With the 153s going, I don't see their loo becoming disabled friendly; the new loo on the 150 looks like it's taken out a number of seats and a reduction of the same number of seats on a 153 would be serious.  Of course, in terms of "equal disabled provision" you could simply rip the loos out of the 153s ... and put more seats in.  Indeed that would help revenue protection as it would remove the place to hide .

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 10:31:32 »

In respect of Cardiff - Portsmouth, I understand there is a franchise commitment to look at alternatives to Turbo stock to something more appropriate for the route. Was this mentioned?  I can imagine it may have been kicked into touch by the slowdown in electrification, as some suitable stock that could have become available now won't be for a few more years.
Rapidash

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 14:00:46 »

Bit odd if the 158's were down sized to two coaches - thought the whole point of the Barnstaple - Axminster service was to relieve the congestion that SWT (South West Trains) have trouble with on that section.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 14:08:34 »

Experience shows that many Barnstaples require 3 Cars rather than 2
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 14:12:48 »

Bit odd if the 158's were down sized to two coaches - thought the whole point of the Barnstaple - Axminster service was to relieve the congestion that SWT (South West Trains) have trouble with on that section.

I understood that 3 cars was a temporary measure to provide extra capacity on Cardiff - Portsmouth and the implication is revert to 2 car units ... 8 x 3 car becoming 12 x 2 car, running in pairs as appropriate.   TransWilts slated for 2 car 158 from 5.2017 to 12.2018. I'm least of this of the things I quoted - please don't take it as 'gospel'.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Charles T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 15:02:54 »

Thanks guys.

We are sorry to announce that the .. Great Western Railway service is delayed.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 17:00:24 »

In respect of Cardiff - Portsmouth, I understand there is a franchise commitment to look at alternatives to Turbo stock to something more appropriate for the route. Was this mentioned?  I can imagine it may have been kicked into touch by the slowdown in electrification, as some suitable stock that could have become available now won't be for a few more years.
I can't think of anything apropriate for Cardiff-Portsmouth being released by the delayed electrification anyway. There may or may not be some 158s coming south from the Scottish programme, but as far as I know Scotland's electrification teams are actually on schedule (unlike the GW (Great Western)).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
John R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 21:43:04 »

5 car Meridians could arguably be "appropriate", if the intent is to provide a better quality of stock. However, there are several arguments against, not least that 125mph stock would be more appropriately utilised on longer distance services such as cross country.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 08:29:27 »

5 car Meridians could arguably be "appropriate", if the intent is to provide a better quality of stock. However, there are several arguments against, not least that 125mph stock would be more appropriately utilised on longer distance services such as cross country.
I suppose 222s might be appropriate (I've never been on one to see how they compare to Voyagers, which (apart from one coach on the Virgin ones) I seem to recall have an interior which isn't really appropriate for anything) but as you say being 125mph units I'd have thought they would be earmarked for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)). They might also be a bit expensive to run compared to something like 175s.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 10:03:17 »

Would 2 +2 mean a train too long for the platforms?
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 11:30:48 »

Looking at the changes being introduced by SWT on EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains)-AXM later this year, the single 3-car 159 17:45 EXD-AXM is supposedly being replaced by two separate 2-car 158 services. I can't recollect the timing of these two services, but it results in four EXD-AXM services during the evening peak instead of the three at present - so SWT consider a 2-car 158 to be sufficient.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 12:45:03 »

Looking at the changes being introduced by SWT (South West Trains) on EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains)-AXM later this year, the single 3-car 159 17:45 EXD-AXM is supposedly being replaced by two separate 2-car 158 services. I can't recollect the timing of these two services, but it results in four EXD-AXM services during the evening peak instead of the three at present - so SWT consider a 2-car 158 to be sufficient.

16:36 EXD to HON

All other services appear to be timed as today.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 15:47:22 »

The extra unit sent down in the afternoon is shown as a 159 in the Track Access Application, as I quoted and linked in the relevant thread a few weeks ago:  http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=15428.msg181628#msg181628

Paul
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 16:24:06 by paul7755 » Logged
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 15:05:37 »

It has been reported (in Rail I think) that no further HSTs beyond the launch set are expected to be repainted into GWR (Great Western Railway) colours.  Most of the immediate repainting effort will be directed to Turbos (and of course the new EIP stock will arrive in GWR colours.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: