17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
10:45 Falmouth Docks to Truro
Short Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
08:50 Penzance to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 10:57:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[317] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[88] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[56] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[32] Where have I been?
[31] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[26] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Lord Adonis to chair new commission  (Read 13443 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 05, 2015, 09:06:41 »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/10/04/george-osborne-announces-_0_n_8241540.html?

George Osborne has persuaded former Labour Transport Secretary Lord Adonis to chair a new independent commission to oversee major road, rail, housing and power projects.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 09:58:41 »

Good news I think and a credit to both the Adonis and these who decide to appoint him. 
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 10:10:17 »

Although he's now working for/representing a fourth different political party.

He's been an SDP and LibDem Councillor, a Labour party member and Minister of State, and now he's resigned the Labour Whip to go work for the Conservatives.

Probably the right man for the job, but he's very fickle when it comes to political affiliation.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:10:04 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 10:19:55 »

He may not have taken the Tory whip of course
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 10:39:33 »

There is a great common-ness between much of the political parties, and I'm all in favour of those who shine and know a very great deal on a subject, are inspirational, can get things done being welcomed to actually do so no matter who's in power.   I welcome this step for Andrew Adonis, and I would welcome similar appointments for one or two others with Westminster experience.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 10:42:45 »

He's been an SDP and LibDem Councillor, a Labour party member and Minister of State, and now he's resigned the Labour Whip to go work for the Conservatives.

Probably the right man for the job, but he's very fickle whenever cones to political affiliation.

Which brings to mind the quotation attributed to John Maynard Keynes: "When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?"
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 10:58:42 »

Probably the right man for the job, but he's very fickle whenever cones to political affiliation.

Which brings to mind the quotation attributed to John Maynard Keynes: "When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?"

Quite so. Thank goodness we aren't all tribal when it comes to politics! Andrew Adonis is pro-rail, and that's what counts for me.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 11:24:50 »

Indeed, that's the important attribute
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 16:39:43 »

A good appointment.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 16:52:32 »

A very good appointment.  And along with David Higgins as HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) Chairman and Sir Peter Hendy as Network Rail Chairman, three formidably talented and massively experienced individuals have been recruited to very important posts!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 17:20:04 »

A very good appointment.  And along with David Higgins as HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) Chairman and Sir Peter Hendy as Network Rail Chairman, three formidably talented and massively experienced individuals have been recruited to very important posts!

My positive self agrees entirely. My cynical self worries whether each has sufficient strength to rebuff the almost certain ministerial interference!
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 19:53:29 »

Andrew Adonis is pro-rail, and that's what counts for me.
He's pro-rail, good, but grahame's quote says his responsiblities will include "major road, rail, housing and power projects." What are his views on the other matters he has been given control over? I hope he isn't going to be pro-major road projects too.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 20:54:24 »

I'd hope he might push for A358/A303 improvements. Promised in the major Conservative pre-election bribe announcement in December 2014, but now Somerset County Council are warning that timescales may be significantly extended.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 21:11:08 »

Probably the right man for the job, but he's very fickle when it comes to political affiliation.

He may not have taken the Tory whip of course

Indeed, he has not taken the Conservative whip. He has resigned the Labour whip and is sitting as a crossbench peer to emphasise his neutrality.

I think his appointment is a very good one, almost akin to the release of the Bank of England from political control. Of course, like the bank there will be government control in the form of tightening or loosening of the pursestrings, and should Lord Adonis come up with too many wrong answers, he could find his P45 in the post. It does, however, raise the possibility of decisions actually being made, at arms length from party politics, or crossing all parties, whichever way you wish to look at it, but actually being made. In appointing him, George Osborne has gone up in my estimation, words I never thought I would ever write.

As for priorities, Hinkley C and Sizewell C must be close to the top of a very big inbox, along with the possible Chinese reactor at Bradwell. There is no point in having electric trains if there ain't no electric, and the sustainables will never do the job without bankrupting the nation. I hope he will also ask for reports on the use of Thorium in future generators.

The rail agenda will be dominated by trying to get electrification in the North back under control, with a look at any lessons that can be learned from the GWR (Great Western Railway) electrification. Plus, of course, HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)).

For roads, I think we can expect the re-announcement of a number of schemes we thought were done deals, such as the A303, raised by BNM. That road is the very model of how procrastination breeds inertia and cost escalation.

This appointment could almost have been made purely to get a decision on Heathrow's 3rd runway. That has been repeatedly kicked into the long grass since the 1950s. The only possible truly final decision will be to build it. Any "final" decision NOT to build it, can be overturned in the future, as we have already seen, and I am not looking to buy a house in Sipson.

For railway, I think his are safe hands, and I hope he gets the chance to achieve great things. It will not be him spending the money, merely sorting the wheat from the chaff of infrastructure projects, and recommending to DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and the Chancellor those which are deemed to be of major national importance. I think the projects I have mentioned fit that bill, and I wish the noble Lord well in the job.

His apparent political promiscuity is not hard to understand. The SDP formed in 1981 from those members of the parliamentary Labour party who had felt the move to the left under the influence of the late (great) Tony Benn was a step too far. It is said that the recently late Dennis Healey did not help by telling them to vote for him as leader to follow Jim Callaghan, or fall for the late Michael Foot (with whom I once boozed in what is now Bonapartes at Temple Meads). So the late SDP was a home for the centre-right of the late 1970s / early 1980s Labour party. It was taken over by merged with the Liberals, then a drifting rudderless ship, but with some MPs (Member of Parliament). So it remained as the Liberal Democrats until New Labour under Tony Blair provided the right environment for the defectors to jump ship and effectively rejoin Labour at a point they had wanted it to be at when they left, leaving the Lib Dems with a political outlook, and standing, on a par with that of the Liberal party of the late Jeremy Thorpe.

Andrew Adonis has shown himself to be more passionate about small-p politics than the party structure, and I think neutrality will serve him and the country well.

That was a party political broadcast on behalf of no one party in particular...

Now, please!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 07:19:55 »

It was reported that the Heathrow rinway question is specifically *excluded* from his Commission's deliberations.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: