Delayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 02:16:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Sleeper lounges for Cornwall?  (Read 32623 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2015, 09:29:11 »

This was announced earlier in the year within the franchise document, Page 10
We will provide an earlier direct first inter-city
service to the South West at c.0637 from
Paddington, arriving in Exeter by c.0845, Plymouth
by c.0945 and Penzance by c.1140

Also Page 48
We will increase the number of services between
London and Penzance by one train in each
direction. We will provide an earlier direct first
inter-city service to the South West at c.0637 from
Paddington, arriving into Penzance at 1140. The
1215 return working will provide a new Penzance
to London service, closing the three hour gap
between 1000 and 1303 that exists in the
December 2014 timetable

Was any indication given of the stopping pattern for that c06:37 or when it might be in the timetable?

The document says from the May 2017 timetable change

The addition of the 0637 service is encouraging, if it's getting in at around 0945 that would suggest very few stops - perhaps Reading-Taunton-Tiverton-Exeter-Plymouth?

Apart from ChrisB (who likes a lie-in!  Wink) I still think it's an hour or so too late for those of us who start business at 0900 (or earlier!) - I wonder if it's not possible to run this one earlier, would it be possible, as extra coaches seem to be available, to run the down sleeper a little later so that it gets into Plymouth at say 0730, or even better return to having a carriage which is detached at Plymouth, allowing passengers to alight around 0800 rather than the current 0515?

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2015, 09:31:59 »

Sorry, the demand to be in Plymouth from East of Exeter for 0800 I reckon could be counted on one hand on a day to day basis.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2015, 12:09:24 »

Sorry, the demand to be in Plymouth from East of Exeter for 0800 I reckon could be counted on one hand on a day to day basis.

I'd be interested in knowing on what you base this latest assumption since currently it's impossible by rail so I'm unclear what empirical/anecdotal data exists? 

If you'd tried the A38 into Plymouth at that time of the morning your opinion may be somewhat different! (...and yes I know it's not all coming from East of Exeter)

What I do know for a fact (because I have been involved in several) is that one of the key factors that Businesses look at in deciding where to locate/relocate is the availability of regular and reliable transport links, be it local and/or with National reach for larger companies - it's one of the more significant factors in the "rise" of Exeter as a location for Business at the expense of the (much larger) city of Plymouth, irrespective of the decline of the Dockyard.

Not the only factor, but can be a key differentiator when it comes to making the decision. It's a good opportunity for rail to be part of a joined up picture and to generate income.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:25:10 by TaplowGreen » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2015, 13:06:31 »

So, you think GWR (Great Western Railway) are going ahead with this earlier service based on a projected passenger count of 5 or fewer per day?

Roll Eyes

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2015, 13:41:37 »

Many more people travel on the sleeper to Penzance than Plymouth. It's the only train that connects with the Scillonian to St Mary's.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2015, 14:25:38 »

Many more people travel on the sleeper to Penzance than Plymouth. It's the only train that connects with the Scillonian to St Mary's.

Funnily enough, I hadn't appreciated the importance of the offshore island market until I had a discussion on passenger flows with the station adopter for Mallaig last Friday.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2015, 15:13:12 »

So, you think GWR (Great Western Railway) are going ahead with this earlier service based on a projected passenger count of 5 or fewer per day?

Errr.....GWR new offering arrives c.0945, we're now discussing whether it ought to be even earlier at c. 0800. Donkeep up at the back please
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2015, 15:26:59 »

Errr.....GWR new offering arrives c.0945, we're now discussing whether it ought to be even earlier at c. 0800. Donkeep up at the back please

Actually Chris my original "0800" suggestion upthread related to a coach being detached from the down sleeper on arrival at Plymouth in order to enable passengers to stay on board until around 0800, it was nothing to do with GWR's new offering, notwithstanding that an earlier arrival time (by 1 hour?) than 0945 at Plymouth for that one would be handy.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2015, 15:36:14 »

Maybe the flexibility provided by the AT300 fleet will make it worthwhile running a 5-car set from Paddington westwards before 6am, perhaps coupling at Exeter to form a longer 10-car service for Plymouth commuters? Certainly it would be massive overkill to provide a full length train at that time of the morning.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2015, 15:47:14 »

Actually Chris my original "0800" suggestion upthread related to a coach being detached from the down sleeper on arrival at Plymouth in order to enable passengers to stay on board until around 0800, it was nothing to do with GWR's new offering, notwithstanding that an earlier arrival time (by 1 hour?) than 0945 at Plymouth for that one would be handy.

....if it's not possible to run this one earlier....[\quote]

That reads that if it could be, you'd rather that than the sleeper. And that is what I was referring to
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2015, 15:59:47 »

....if it's not possible to run this one earlier....[\quote]

That reads that if it could be, you'd rather that than the sleeper. And that is what I was referring to

OK  I appreciate that it may be open to that interpretation if you want it to be, let's rise above semantics shall we?..........I'm still interested in your response to the wider question I posed re: an 0800 arrival (either way you want to cut it)

I'd be interested in knowing on what you base this latest assumption since currently it's impossible by rail so I'm unclear what empirical/anecdotal data exists? 

If you'd tried the A38 into Plymouth at that time of the morning your opinion may be somewhat different! (...and yes I know it's not all coming from East of Exeter)

What I do know for a fact (because I have been involved in several) is that one of the key factors that Businesses look at in deciding where to locate/relocate is the availability of regular and reliable transport links, be it local and/or with National reach for larger companies - it's one of the more significant factors in the "rise" of Exeter as a location for Business at the expense of the (much larger) city of Plymouth, irrespective of the decline of the Dockyard.

Not the only factor, but can be a key differentiator when it comes to making the decision. It's a good opportunity for rail to be part of a joined up picture and to generate income.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2015, 16:09:52 »

Why would you locate your company that far West if you need a regular fast connection towards London? You just wouldn't...plenty of other more suitable locations
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2015, 17:07:55 »

In the absence of public transport to Plymouth earlier than say 10am, is premier inn and travelodge style accommodation in Plymouth booming? This may indicate whether people want to get to Plymouth earlier by public transport.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2015, 17:47:49 »

Why would you locate your company that far West if you need a regular fast connection towards London? You just wouldn't...plenty of other more suitable locations
   .......not sure if that's intended as a rhetorical question, but.thankyou for proving my point very succinctly.....that's exactly why one is needed to improve the region's viability......an earlier arrival is a good first step.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2015, 17:55:37 »

Maybe the flexibility provided by the AT300 fleet will make it worthwhile running a 5-car set from Paddington westwards before 6am, perhaps coupling at Exeter to form a longer 10-car service for Plymouth commuters? Certainly it would be massive overkill to provide a full length train at that time of the morning.

Depending on maintenance/stabling arrangements this could mean turning what would otherwise be an ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) positioning move into a passenger service I suppose.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: