11:09 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
15:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 14:20:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[279] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[220] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[109] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[37] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[33] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[16] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Rugby World Cup - discussion on the standard of referees  (Read 23205 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2015, 19:59:34 »

Well the good news for GWR (Great Western Railway) is that's the end of matches in Cardiff with the remaining matches in London featuring only Southern Hemisphere sides   Sad Felt for Scotland who came closest out of the home nations to getting through to the semis. Bit unsure of some of the ref's decisions today but I'll leave that to those who have a better technical knowledge of the game than me.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 20:15:31 »

To be fair to the ref there were one or two decisions against Australia that were debatable. Though not as crucial as the yellow card or the penalty against Scotland in the 78th minute.

This half-Scot was gutted though.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 20:17:48 »

I'm half Welsh and I felt more gutted for Scotland going out then I did yesterday when Wales lost to SA.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 22:04:43 »

To be fair to the ref there were one or two decisions against Australia that were debatable. Though not as crucial as the yellow card or the penalty against Scotland in the 78th minute.

With my ref hat on (I've returned to playing for this season, so I guess I'm a retired ref), the decision was correct for both yellow card and penalty.

Some more questionable calls were made both ways earlier in the game that baffled me.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 06:05:08 »

With my ref hat on (I've returned to playing for this season, so I guess I'm a retired ref), the decision was correct for both yellow card and penalty.

Some more questionable calls were made both ways earlier in the game that baffled me.

........retired refs are the worst in my experience!  Wink

(As an Englishman) I agree re: the yellow card, but he should have gone upstairs re: the penalty, he'd gone to the TMO for virtually everything else all day and I think he was influenced by the Australians leaping up and down screaming "penalty, offside" etc etc.......one things for sure, Barnes/Owens are far and away the best refs in the tournament.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 07:35:57 »

It wasn't something that protocol allows to go to the TMO. He could only use touch judges for the offence occurred,

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 09:21:52 »

It wasn't something that protocol allows to go to the TMO. He could only use touch judges for the offence occurred,

Fair point......I will not argue with the ref any further! (Sir!)  Wink
Puffing Billy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 13:18:40 »

As I understand it, the referee is allowed to consult the TMO regarding the scoring of a try or an instance of foul play. So presumably the earlier (alleged) deliberate knock-on, which incurred a yellow card, and for which he DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) consult the TMO, was deemed to come under the umbrella of "foul play". But the (alleged) offside incident was not. Can anyone explain?
jdw.wor
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 14:41:01 »

Having been a ref and a referee assessor (now I think called "advisor") I was mighty surprised by Joubert's immediate decision.
The laws of rugby require, for a free flowing game, an amount of "interpretation" and this is one of those situations.
The Scotsman was offside if his colleague played it but not if the Australian played it. There are further complications regarding who played it first and whether the Australian played it deliberately.
Forgetting all of that I remember being coached as a new referee on this and the advice was " If the ball is being contested by players from both sides and it is not absolutely clear to all nearby , immediately, who played it (and if more than one in what order) you do not give a penalty but a scrum for a knock on". The logic being akin to the difference between obstruction (deemed deliberate and a penalty) and accidental off-side (a balls up and a scrum).
Additionally referees are now told to call out offences so that players are more clear what  they can and cannot do. In this case I do not believe Joubert called or signaled a knock-on as he didn't have time so it is a little perverse to penalise a player when it was so unclear.
I seem to remember that Nigel Owens had exactly the same situation in an international last year and adamantly refused the calls for a penalty stating effectively what is described above, but then Owens is someway the best referee in the world at the moment (and I include Wayne Barnes)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 18:51:06 »

Nigel Owens is someone I am a fan of. His man management of players is without doubt the best in any sport I have seen.
Sometimes his one liners seem a bit of attention seeking though. I was always taught when I was reffing my performance shouldn't be remembered - have a bad performance and you get remembered, good performance nobody notices you.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 19:56:16 »

We have seen some recent posts here (no, not goal posts! Wink ) on the subject of the referee(s) in the world of rugby, rather than the provision of rail transport for supporters, so I've split them off into a new topic of their own, here. Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 09:17:54 »

Now no longer transport related, is this on the correct board?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 09:57:27 »

Having been a ref and a referee assessor (now I think called "advisor") I was mighty surprised by Joubert's immediate decision.
The laws of rugby require, for a free flowing game, an amount of "interpretation" and this is one of those situations.
The Scotsman was offside if his colleague played it but not if the Australian played it. There are further complications regarding who played it first and whether the Australian played it deliberately.
Forgetting all of that I remember being coached as a new referee on this and the advice was " If the ball is being contested by players from both sides and it is not absolutely clear to all nearby , immediately, who played it (and if more than one in what order) you do not give a penalty but a scrum for a knock on". The logic being akin to the difference between obstruction (deemed deliberate and a penalty) and accidental off-side (a balls up and a scrum).
Additionally referees are now told to call out offences so that players are more clear what  they can and cannot do. In this case I do not believe Joubert called or signaled a knock-on as he didn't have time so it is a little perverse to penalise a player when it was so unclear.
I seem to remember that Nigel Owens had exactly the same situation in an international last year and adamantly refused the calls for a penalty stating effectively what is described above, but then Owens is someway the best referee in the world at the moment (and I include Wayne Barnes)

It struck me how the players just accepted probably the most important decision in their rugby lives and got on with the game, rather than eleven players surrounding the referee baying for his blood as would no doubt have happened in a certain other ball game played on a pitch.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 10:18:33 »

Now no longer transport related, is this on the correct board?

Argueable ... but should NOT go to "and also" which is only open to frequent posters, as it would like a general discussion from people who might be reading it.   I am inclined to leave here on this occasion; not right as a topic start place, but as a follow on it seems better not to muddy the waters to move it somewhere just slightly more appropriate such as "across the west".

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
jdw.wor
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 11:39:34 »

Be assured there is a strong chance that GWR (Great Western Railway) and its recent World Cup service will appear on Rugby related web sites!!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: