I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:15 29 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 00:24:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rugby World Cup - discussion on the standard of referees  (Read 23130 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 23:50:19 »

Now no longer transport related, is this on the correct board?

Argueable ... but should NOT go to "and also" which is only open to frequent posters, as it would like a general discussion from people who might be reading it.  I am inclined to leave here on this occasion; not right as a topic start place, but as a follow on it seems better not to muddy the waters to move it somewhere just slightly more appropriate such as "across the west".

Thank you very much for your well-reasoned reply, grahame.  Wink

Yes, I was rather reluctant to move this newly sprouted topic to any other of our existing boards on the Coffee Shop forum, simply because it wasn't a topic we'd normally expect to see discussed anywhere here.  However, I chose to split these posts from the original topic, because it was diluting the ongoing discussion on the failings of GWR (Great Western Railway) to provide suitable rail (or indeed alternative) transport for rugby fans.  Roll Eyes

May I thank you for your 'back seat moderation one-liner' here, ChrisB, but also ask you to suggest exactly where you would have preferred me to have put this new tangential topic?

Please give me a bit of a break - I do all this in my spare time. Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 08:42:38 »

One could argue that And Also is the better thread as we don't want to encourage a way-ff-topic thread do we? Rather maybe a 'special' for frequent posters?

There are other better forums if you want to chat sport of any kind....
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 11:09:17 »

One could argue that And Also is the better thread as we don't want to encourage a way-ff-topic thread do we? Rather maybe a 'special' for frequent posters?

There are other better forums if you want to chat sport of any kind....

One could also argue (as indeed we have already done here) that "And Also" wasn't appropriate (for reasons already given).  There remains (as already stated) no ideal solution.  This has been thoroughly discussed and the current board is not perfect but there's no-where that is.

I would agree that there are better forums for discussing sport ... whether members here who happen on such a topic want to all sign up elsewhere to carry on talking the subject is quite another question.   

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 17:40:46 »

This has been thoroughly discussed and the current board is not perfect but there's no-where that is.

Thanks, grahame.  Wink

By way of offering a compromise solution, I've now moved this topic to our publicly-readable 'introductions and chat' board, rather than to any board which is only available to established posting members of the Coffee Shop forum.

Play on!  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 19:35:36 »

Nigel Owens has been confirmed as the referee for the final. To me there was no other option. Nigel has been by far the best referee at this tournament.

He is the feature of a BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Wales documentary tonight at 2240. I suspect will make good viewing. I'm assuming in England we will be able to watch it still online at the very least.

On the day that Nigel Owens was announced as referee for the World Cup Final, he reflects upon the pressures of the modern game with the boon and burden of technology, about the private struggle with his own sexuality, coming out and tackling homophobic abuse, and about his love of the game and his family, community and Welshness

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 19:51:21 »

I don't think anyone will disagree with that choice.  Some of his one-liners are classic too.  Such as when he whistled for an extremely crooked line out and commented that "I'm straighter than that throw".   Or when told that a team is going to go for the penalty kick and asked the kicker "what, after that last one?"

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2015, 19:57:59 »

... and, just to round things off, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Nigel Owens: From Rugby World Cup final to village match

Nigel Owens in action during Saturday's final

Welsh referee Nigel Owens will go from the Rugby World Cup final to officiating at a match between two village teams.

He was watched by millions during New Zealand's 34-17 win over Australia at Twickenham on Saturday.

But the Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) said his next job was in Gowerton, Swansea - where the average attendance is 150.

Match official manager Nigel Whitehouse said Owens would be "coming back down to earth with a bump".

Mr Whitehouse added: "He had a fantastic World Cup and was the people's choice to take charge of the final. But he is refereeing two village teams next weekend - it will be good for him to do a local game."

Owens started off refereeing local teams in Wales and will return to be the man in the middle when Gowerton RFC play Crymych RFC in Swalec League Division One West on Saturday.

The 44-year-old was only the second Welshman to take charge of a World Cup final following Derek Bevan, who refereed in 1991 when Australia edged England, also at Twickenham.

Owens's famed no-nonsense approach saw him give All Blacks man-of-the-match Dan Carter a ticking-off for bad language, telling him: "Don't swear, you're on the telly."

Residents from his home village, Mynyddcerrig, in Carmarthenshire, decorated the streets with bunting and banners to celebrate his appointment.

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2015, 20:10:25 »

I wonder if Gowerton will see an increase in spectators, as Nigel Owens seems to have developed quite a fan base looking on social media.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2015, 20:24:23 »

Personally, I thought Nigel was a candidate for man-of-the-match himself: in almost the first lineout, he called timeout and strode between the overly-boisterous opposing lines, warning them that 'if he had to walk down again to sort out such nonsense' ...  Cheesy

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2015, 20:54:51 »

I'd like to see him get sports personality of the year. I can't think of any other ref in any other sport that gets so much respect from players.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2015, 21:02:55 »

Slightly biased because I have met him, but I totally agree. 

You can have as many talented people as you like in a team, without a referee you will struggle to have a game.

Youth football and rugby at grassroots level need as many match officials they can get.  Games are being called off because there is a shortage.  Hopefully one of the legacies of the Rugby World Cup will be more people being attracted to take up the whistle and the authorities providing support to the minority of them who suffer abuse from players or, increasingly, spectators on the touchline in amateur games on a Saturday afternoon.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2015, 21:04:21 »

The 'best tackle in the Rugby World Cup by an Englishman' award has to go to the steward who pole-axed the 14 year old 'pitch invader' after the final. A kid who merely wanted to congratulate his hero, New Zealand's Sonny Bill Williams. Whilst it was a totally over the top reaction from the steward, it was a far better example of tackling than anything the England team managed.

Sonny Bill Williams wins the 'top bloke' award for telling the steward where to go and for giving the kid his winner's medal.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/oct/31/sonny-bill-williams-world-cup-winners-medal-14-year-old-fan

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2015, 22:38:51 »

The 'best tackle in the Rugby World Cup by an Englishman' award has to go to the steward who pole-axed the 14 year old 'pitch invader' after the final. A kid who merely wanted to congratulate his hero, New Zealand's Sonny Bill Williams. Whilst it was a totally over the top reaction from the steward, it was a far better example of tackling than anything the England team managed.

Sonny Bill Williams wins the 'top bloke' award for telling the steward where to go and for giving the kid his winner's medal.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/oct/31/sonny-bill-williams-world-cup-winners-medal-14-year-old-fan

SBW was this evening presented with a replacement medal. Nice touch from world rugby.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2015, 08:40:58 »

That's rather harsh. The steward was on a hiding to nothing in this respect, my club provides several volunteer stewards at Twickenham and the #1 rule (aside from ensuring the safety of the crowd) is that no-one gets on the pitch - there are plenty of announcements before and during the match to that effect, and it's printed in the programmes -  if one does it, chances are others will join in, and there are plenty of examples over recent years of International referees (David McHugh) and players being attacked and in some cases hospitalised by fans invading the playing area.

The steward had to make a split second decision, he didn't know he was 14, or that he didn't have malicious intentions, and to say that he "pole axed" the lad is way over the top....I didn't notice him pausing to say "excuse me, I just want to congratulate my hero".

Damned if he did, damned if he didn't.

Let's just say the boy had a memorable evening!!!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: