Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:04:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[72] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[67] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[66] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[59] Return of the BRUTE?
[41] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rolling stock now oldest since 2001 ... GWR oldest diesels of the lot!  (Read 28129 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2017, 16:34:03 »

The Cardiffs have additional stop(s) and are slower.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2017, 16:37:45 »

I used the Swansea/Cardiff train to London Padddington for 5 years, commuting from BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) to RDG(resolve).

In the morning, the train was never busy until Swindon and in the evening seats where usually available from Swindon.

So, a 10 carriage train with 5 carriages restricted for Wales should be ok.

My original idea was never to replace all trains to from Wales, Coltswolds, Bristol and Southwest with split trains but to add flexible capacity to service all the main branches of the GWR (Great Western Railway) network frequently. Regular 10 carriage trains will still be the back bone of the network in most places, but I don't think anyone could justify a 10 carriage train from Swansea to London every 30 minutes, or even an hour.

My most recent use of BGN-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) (last used frequently in 2014) always had heavy loadings (typically just odd seats here and there unoccupied) from SWA» (Swansea - next trains)/NTH/PTA (Passenger Transport Authority)/BGN through to CDF» (Cardiff - next trains)/NWP regardless of the time of day and was close to full from BPW-PAD (standees from Didcot/Reading), similar reverse pattern on return journeys up to the 20:15 departure from PAD which tips out at BPY, but oft does a decent pickup in CDF for destinations to SWA. My experience would suggest 5 cars could only ever work in the very early morning or very late evening parts of the timetable and even then would, imho, be a retrograde step.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2017, 16:41:29 »

Really? Where else other than Reading, Didcot, Swindon, Bristol Parkway and Newport could they stop?! There is a single service (which I think is an early morning Swansea starter) that goes via Bath, but otherwise it's the same stopping pattern for Cardiffs and Swanseas, with the obvious exception of the stretch from CDF» (Cardiff - next trains)-SWA» (Swansea - next trains)...

Or did you miss the essential 'will' in referring to future IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) services?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2017, 17:05:56 »

Didcot - Swansea's don't generally stop, so are quicker to CDF» (Cardiff - next trains)
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2017, 17:16:46 »

Alternate up Swansea trains also stop at Didcot off-peak. Even the Red Dragon does.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2017, 17:18:56 »

Really? Where else other than Reading, Didcot, Swindon, Bristol Parkway and Newport could they stop?! There is a single service (which I think is an early morning Swansea starter) that goes via Bath, but otherwise it's the same stopping pattern for Cardiffs and Swanseas, with the obvious exception of the stretch from CDF» (Cardiff - next trains)-SWA» (Swansea - next trains)...

Or did you miss the essential 'will' in referring to future IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) services?

The 05:18 Paddington to Swansea and the 23:30 Paddington to Cardiff both serve Chippenham, Bath Spa and Bristol Temple Meads in place of Bristol Parkway; the 05:18 additionally serves Filton Abbet Wood.

Conjecture for the future might be for the "Cardiff electrics" to make an extra stop at one of Slough, Maidenhead or Twyford, and there are aspirations for a Wantage and Grove station where the most desired journey would probably be to Reading and London.   Wantage and Grove have a combined population of 18,000

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2017, 17:19:52 »

Didcot - Swansea's don't generally stop, so are quicker to CDF» (Cardiff - next trains)

I've been on plenty of Swansea services that have a planned stop at Didcot. Clicking through todays timetable it appears the Didcot stop is fairly random, sometimes on the xx:45 from Paddington, sometimes on the xx:15 and I think it is dropped completely for a few services through the morning and evening peaks (presumably London bound AM, Wales bound PM).

A Didcot stop appears to add 6-7 minutes to the journey time from PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-CDF.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2017, 17:32:04 »

Conjecture for the future might be for the "Cardiff electrics" to make an extra stop at one of Slough, Maidenhead or Twyford, and there are aspirations for a Wantage and Grove station where the most desired journey would probably be to Reading and London.   Wantage and Grove have a combined population of 18,000

Not sure why it would be sensible to use an intercity service to shuttle people from Slough/Maidenhead/Twyford to London or Reading when Crossrail will be set up precisely to do that? 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2017, 18:20:06 »

Not sure why it would be sensible to use an intercity service to shuttle people from Slough/Maidenhead/Twyford to London or Reading when Crossrail will be set up precisely to do that? 

If you're an MP (Member of Parliament) looking to retain your Henley-on-Thames seat, might it make sense for you to show your constituents how much you care by winning them a nonstop service to Twyford that connects with the branch shuttle?   I've spotted that many current evening commuters prefer to catch the 17:06 and change rather than wait for the direct 17:12, or catch the 18:05 and change rather than wait for the direct 18:10 (I have not travelled on the 17:12 or 18:10, so no comment on number who prefer the direct train.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2017, 19:01:47 »

Taking an extra 25 minutes, and arriving home 30 minutes later probably has something to do with it.

Of course the non-stop Twyford/Maidenhead/Slough service has been discussed elsewhere before and I'm sure will continue to do so for quite a while yet.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2017, 21:46:52 »

If you're an MP (Member of Parliament) looking to retain your Henley-on-Thames seat, might it make sense for you to show your constituents how much you care by winning them a nonstop service to Twyford that connects with the branch shuttle?   I've spotted that many current evening commuters prefer to catch the 17:06 and change rather than wait for the direct 17:12, or catch the 18:05 and change rather than wait for the direct 18:10 (I have not travelled on the 17:12 or 18:10, so no comment on number who prefer the direct train.

The MP for Henley now is John Howell. I've no idea if he has any post in Govt. Before him it was Boris Johnson who replaced Michael Heseltine.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2017, 09:48:27 »

ok.  I hadn't appreciated the connection point.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2017, 07:58:20 »

I see that a 180 sat down at Twyford this morning. Following from another recent failure in traffic I would think that GWR (Great Western Railway) might be glad to see the back of them soon.

Nice trains but quite unreliable.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2017, 11:15:02 »

I see that a 180 sat down at Twyford this morning. Following from another recent failure in traffic I would think that GWR (Great Western Railway) might be glad to see the back of them soon.

Nice trains but quite unreliable.

Aren't they pretty much the newest trains that GWR operate?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2017, 11:24:34 »

Aside from the new Class 387s, yes.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: