Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:16:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Choosing where to sit, on public transport (ongoing discussion)  (Read 9945 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 31, 2015, 08:00:47 »

From The Metro

Kind commuter sits next to Muslim woman in full niqab after others shunned her.

Woking lad Dante Jamie Coyne made a point of taking a seat next to the Muslim on Monday morning after fellow commuters chose to sit elsewhere.

In a Facebook post he recorded how she later thanked him for sitting beside her and tells people to be less judgmental.

The post was liked over 44,000 times and any Muslim women have replied saying they have experienced the same treatment.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 08:05:50 »

Also covered at

http://www.closeronline.co.uk/2015/10/a-mans-picture-of-an-ostracised-muslim-woman-goes-viral-as-others-share-similar-stories?

and original story at

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=dante%20jamie%20coyne

Judging by the pictures, the lady had her bag on the seat beside her ... I suspect a "set up" picture, but it rather lessens the story.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 15:52:37 »

From the Daily Mirror

Raayan Zafar, 32, was accosted by a man on the tube who asked her to prove she was pregnant after she showed him her Baby on Board badge

[snip]

Raayan told the newspaper she is in the early stages of pregnancy and is yet to develop a visible bump.

She said she has seen lots of pregnant ladies wearing Baby on Board badges being ignored by selfish commuters.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 16:20:50 »

From the Daily Mirror

Raayan Zafar, 32, was accosted by a man on the tube who asked her to prove she was pregnant after she showed him her Baby on Board badge

[snip]

Raayan told the newspaper she is in the early stages of pregnancy and is yet to develop a visible bump.

She said she has seen lots of pregnant ladies wearing Baby on Board badges being ignored by selfish commuters.

Yes I give up my seat to anyone who obviously needs it as well as the elderly or pregnant women - It's the way I was brought up.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 17:31:10 »

I would give up without being asked to a visible pregnant woman - I live with one and know what they are like  Only another 7 1/2 weeks to put up with!!!!!!  Cheesy

(also would give up to elderly, disabled, handicapped etc)

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 18:17:36 »

I recently spent a couple of weeks going up to London everyday and I was appalled at the bad manners and lack of respect shown on the tube. Families with kids occupying seats when adults, some quite senior were left to stand. The parents showed absolutely no thought that maybe they should teach their kids to be mindful of others.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 18:18:10 »

It^s probably symptomatic of our nervousness about PC matters that no-one has added to this thread.  So at the risk of upsetting someone^

1   How do I know the person is a Muslim woman?
2   If I assume the person is a Muslim woman, I would think that she would be uncomfortable having a man beside her and probably in physical contact, and I wouldn^t want to be embarrassed if I sat down next to her and she got up and moved away.
3   I^m sorry, but I feel uncomfortable if I can^t see someone^s face.  I probably wouldn^t sit next to someone in a balaclava or a big hoodie.  Why they cover their face is beside the point.
4   It is reasonable to expect people who travel on public transport to consider their fellow passengers.  Passengers make choices on where to sit based on who is already sitting where, looking at faces, age, gender etc.  If you cover your face it creates uncertainty for other passengers. 
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 18:33:52 »

Last night I sat next to someone on the train whose face was covered. Didn't bother me in the slightest.

I thought he was a pirate. Turned out he was a dandy highwayman.

There were many other people in the carriage on the 2225 from Bath to Bristol whose faces were covered, either with masks or heavy make-up.

Ghosts, scary clowns, gas mask wearing haz-mat operatives, Frankenstein's monster, Edward Scissorhands, Jason Voorhees, Freddy Krueger, Morticia Addams, Harley Quinn and The Joker...

It^s probably symptomatic of our nervousness about PC matters that no-one has added to this thread.  So at the risk of upsetting someone^

Not upset, just disappointed by your reasoning.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 18:45:50 »

It^s probably symptomatic of our nervousness about PC matters that no-one has added to this thread. 

It probably is ... and that didn't come as a surprise to me; expected it when I started the thread. THANK you for your follow up ...

I have met / worked with a number of people from exteremly different backgrounds and cultures to my own - and in all cases I can recall that I've got to know them beyond their background and culture, they've become first and foremost a person.  But that doesn't speak for an initial retisence/concern when I ask myself "will I offend if I behave in the natural way in which I was brought up". And, yes, that concern is usually groundless, and its manifestation in holding back may itself be of concern.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 19:17:16 »

With thanks to those who have replied so far, I've now merged what was turning out to be a slightly overlapping discussion into this one topic - in the interests of clarity.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 19:29:20 »

Last night I sat next to someone on the train whose face was covered. Didn't bother me in the slightest.

I thought he was a pirate. Turned out he was a dandy highwayman.

There were many other people in the carriage on the 2225 from Bath to Bristol whose faces were covered, either with masks or heavy make-up.

Ghosts, scary clowns, gas mask wearing haz-mat operatives, Frankenstein's monster, Edward Scissorhands, Jason Voorhees, Freddy Krueger, Morticia Addams, Harley Quinn and The Joker...

Not upset, just disappointed by your reasoning.

...whose name you're scared to mention
He spends his cash on looking flash
And grabbing your attention!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 19:32:28 »

2   If I assume the person is a Muslim woman, I would think that she would be uncomfortable having a man beside her and probably in physical contact, and I wouldn^t want to be embarrassed if I sat down next to her and she got up and moved away.

I have experienced problems with seating on a flight caused by a highly religious person (in this case an Orthodox Jewish man) refusing to sit in his allocated seat because it would place him next to a member of the opposite sex.  In that case, the issue was resolved by me offering to move to sit next to the attractive young woman in his place.

I might be wrong (please correct me if you think I am) but is it not a reasonable assumption that a woman wearing a religious face covering in public is doing so to avoid strange men looking at her?  And if she doesn't want a strange man looking at her, is it not a reasonable assumption also that she would feel uncomfortable to have a strange man sat next to her?

Having said all that, I probably would have plonked myself down next to her, especially if the train was busy, on the basis that I don't think that a religious preference is a good enough reason for having two seats to yourself (on the same basis that I enjoy asking people to move their bags off the seat on crowded trains out of Paddington)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 21:10:51 »

I recently spent a couple of weeks going up to London everyday and I was appalled at the bad manners and lack of respect shown on the tube. Families with kids occupying seats when adults, some quite senior were left to stand. The parents showed absolutely no thought that maybe they should teach their kids to be mindful of others

Ha! You haven't got kids?....parents see them as precious these days, and insust they must sit in preference to allowing their elders to sit (I was briught up to give up my seat to adults when I was a kid, as were others I know). No longer...
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 21:19:42 »

How old were the kids though? If toddlers, it's certainly tiring for them to stand on a train or bus for any length of time; but at that age, they can easily sit on parents' laps.

The whole business of offering your seat to someone is easier to get wrong than right, or at least easy to get blamed for whatever you do. I lived in Poland for several years and it's still common there for people ^ adults as well as children ^ to offer a seat to the elderly. I think the reason this persists is mostly because the buses are crowded as a matter of course; you expect not to get a seat at peak hours. But equally, I've known some people, offered a seat, react with shock. I guess they didn't feel as old as they looked to the offerer!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 21:38:35 »

The whole business of offering your seat to someone is easier to get wrong than right ...

I will admit to having been quite shocked to be offered seats recently (perhaps I'm starting to show my age) ... and I recall about two years ago, there was a bit of an issue in parliament as to whether MPs (Member of Parliament) should or should not have offered their seats in a full chamber to Jo Swinson - heavily pregnant and equalities minister.  I never did discuss that issue with her husband (our MP at the time - Duncan Hames) who I'm delighted to say was looking well, looking relaxed, and looking forward when I met him a couple of weeks ago.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: