Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:00:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The philosophy of moderation  (Read 16977 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 02, 2015, 08:28:39 »

I find myself out of step with the administrators and moderators of many of the Facebook groups and forums that I'm a member of. Whilst there is a need to provide some sort of framework on the activity and direction of the board, I can't help feeling that many board's teams are far too controllingly active, and spend their time applying rules (and sometimes changing rules) to pressure the group / board / forum in their direction and in line with their views.

I've been told off for posting a link to Well House Manor on the Dog Friendly Holiday (Chat) Facebook group (and had my post deleted), when advertising isn't allowed there, in response to a post asking for places 2 hours from Warwick. Advertising (and that means links to your own place) is only allowed in the Dog Friendly Holiday (Accommodation) group. Not the first time I've been told off on Facebook either - one of the HST (High Speed Train) Enthusiast Group administrators deleted my picture of an HST running the "Weymouth Wizard" because I added a comment that it was running for the next 3 weeks, and apparently that was advertising the train service and not recording pictures of past runs. The "Four in a Bed" fan club group has been getting pretty heated too, with admins telling people off and requesting they be nice left, right and centre - even though the members are simply mirroring what was a pretty nasty show last week.

I suppose this kind of controlling activity is natural. In order to provide good admin / moderator coverage, there's a need for a team with a significant number of members, and if any one member of that team decides to delete / modify / censor a post then that decision reflects on and defines the group's activity as a whole. And sometimes it requires a deep drawing of breath to say "I REALLY don't agree with that view" but to let it stand, without "correction" and perhaps even without comment from an admin who's views - by the very fact they're the admin (and an actively altering one) are the official group view that must be followed. Sadly, some groups will chuck you off for "arguing with an admin" and "arguing" can mean expressing a different view to theirs, or asking why a decision was made.

It's so easy to stand in a greenhouse and throw stone ... I hope I'm not seen as doing so in this post. I think we have an exceptional team here, and whilst we can (and do) react individually to urgent circumstances, we also have active links between us to share and discuss issues, and an ability that's perhaps missing on Facebook to park a topic in private while we consider it, restoring it if appropriate, Our "groundrules" too, if you want to call them that, naturally provide a "stable state" which lessens the need to intervene to drag things back onto a designated line - there are no gaping holes in our structure through which people will (commercially or out of interest) try to charge.

Over the years, you'll have noted a drift in my approach to posting - certainly not a U turn, and not totally "mission creap" although mission tactics have been reviewed over time. The long term strategy of retaining an appropriate TransWilts rail service modifies as it becomes increasingly clear that the service appropriate to the flow is at the upper end of forecasts, and that the presence of a service itself helps to create further demand. Other changes such as phenomenal housing growth in Chippenham, Melksham, Trowbridge, Dilton Marsh and Wilton encourage further traffic, and the withdrawl of many bus services outside the middle of the day help strong rail growth at commuter hours, and also early and late. And strategy also changes as I seem to have moved from a lone amateur voice considered a bit of a nuisance, and uninformed, into someone who at times talks a bit of sense and who's views / ideas might just be worth listening to, and energy tapping. With this change comes a responsibility on me to be all the more careful what I say / suggest in public. It doesn't stop me flying kites and exploring options in certain other ways, nor does it put any limits what so ever on others flying kites, expressing views on the Coffee Shop. In fact it's quite the reverse as far as I'm concerned - such wideness of views add strength and provide hooks for comment, saying (at times) things that I might or might not think, but cannot say.  And it can/does provide informed input too.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 09:25:49 »

Just for the record, I'd like to say that - as an infrequent poster but frequent reader - this is one of the best-run, well-managed forums around. There is little or no trolling or flaming and the subject matter is a pleasant mix of solid GWR (Great Western Railway)-related discussion and good, intelligent off-topic humour.

Keep up the good work. It's appreciated.  Smiley
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 09:50:30 »

Hear, hear ! Said into an oil tank at Inchindown Scotland where apparently the echo lasts 75 seconds ! Roll Eyes.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 21:24:03 »

I've been reminded of this thread twice today. Once on a group where the answer to anyone doing anything that the admins don't like is to intervene (and if no rule has been broken, to add one to try to avoid the same thing happening again. And the second time when I see a bit of bickering about who posted what when, on this forum; observed, but no public action necessary.   There are more important things to do - like getting all my ducks in a row for important presentations and meetings from Thursday through Saturday,  on encouraging a wide variety of posts to inform member and guests, and in keeping things running along in a tolerant and friendly vein.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 21:33:25 »

You, or the person who reported it, call it bickering. I call it correcting an error. Cheesy

EDIT: Wrong smiley initially. I wasn't really rolling my eyes at the suggestion of bickering. I was mildly amused. Grin
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 21:52:21 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 08:10:31 »

And if I was the 'other side' if BNM's correction post, I have no problens with his post either. I hate third parties complaining when the originators have no grumble!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: